ATTN: Percussion Gurus -- Snare heads

brassmeaway

Right now I'm using BlackMax on top and Falams II on bottom, but it's not a dry enough sound for my liking.

What might possibly be a better combination?

(Using Pearl 14" Carbonply)

Try those same heads - but on a Yamaha! :tongue:

brassmeaway- If you crank that Black Max down until it just about reaches "critical mass" (i.e.- ready to explode) that's just about as dry a sound as you'll find. Unless you play on a marble countertop. :tongue:

Me...I like the warm, wet Mylar sound. :tongue:

Formica and super glue

if you want to dry out the sound (after you have cranked the heads to cut down on vibration) then tape the snares: put a few strips of elec tape across the snares. start taping about 1/4 way across the guts.

still not dry enough: do the same on the other side (ie mirror image).

still no: muffle the bottom head. a patch of weather stripping works great or you can tape cloth/paper towels to the head (cheap and easy).

still: muffle the top head.

still?... yeah sure, switch drums or play on 2x4's; those guys are so awesome, i'm sure.

markdewine: i am all for warm and wet, but not in a marching snare.

:tongue:

Take a few of the snares off. Then put tape in the middle and then about half way from the middle. Then fold up a square of paper towels and then tape that completely kind of off center a big. That will give you a pretty dry sound.

I endorse Remo products, so I would say use a clear mylar head on the bottom, and don't reef it too far...that will keep the snare response down a bit.

You also might try the new Evans Hybrid snare side...IME, it's a very dry bottom head.