What if I&E was mandatory?

doesn't matter who we're talking about. It should be an option for everyone at DCA to go and be a part of.

maybe some people in a corps don't want to go. Fine. stay at the hotel. but they have the option.

but making a corps participate under threat of penalty of any kid won't work. You'll actually turn people against it that way.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

doesn't matter who we're talking about.

why?

It should be an option for everyone at DCA to go and be a part of.

agreed

but making a corps participate under threat of penalty of any kid won't work. You'll actually turn people against it that way.

agreed

why doesnt it matter who we're talking about? Do we really need to let this thread turn into a bashfest of those who may not allow their members to do I&E?

we've already seen it turn into a bashfest about mini corps with stands and no drills.

Among other things, there would be scoring issues. Presumably, there would be mini-corps performing than field corps (the minis of field corps plus minis that are not part of field corps). More competitors = larger spreads to avoid ties. Consequently, the differences in mini corps performances could have a greater than desired effect on the ultimate outcome.

Let's add a little more Fuel to this Fire......

WHAT ? do you do with Corps like Star United, Current 2 time Mini Corps Champs, The Golden Eagles, 2004 Champs ( of which I'm a Member ), MASS Brass, Current MCA Champs, and other non-affiliated groups who work Hard, and really belong there? How do you handicap this issue ? I think we should leave well enough alone, in the true spirit of Drum Corps. Not everyone can hit the field any more, but still have the Heart to perform. It's another true outlet, and the DCA has enough to worry about now !

How 'bout implementing a rule that states that EVERY COMPETING MINICORPS MUST HAVE BEEN A FIELD CORPS IN DCA FOR AT LEAST ONE MARCHING SEASON???

I am relatively new to DCA, 2004 being my first year. When I went to I&E the first time, I assumed everyone there was from a DCA corps since it was DCA's I&E competition. Last year mini corps line-up made it even more obvious that DCA I&E night is not just current/former DCA corps members.

I would support a rule like this!

Well, it's not just corps denying their members the opportunity. I've been in corps that have gone. But they tend to rehearse right up until the last minute before I&E starts. Which when you're an hours drive from, means you miss 50% of I&E. And if you happen to be signed up for I&E, it means you're playing the loudest notes of your life 45 minutes before you've got to finess the best notes of your life in front of a judging panel at I&E.

I am relatively new to DCA, 2004 being my first year. When I went to I&E the first time, I assumed everyone there was from a DCA corps since it was DCA's I&E competition. Last year mini corps line-up made it even more obvious that DCA I&E night is not just current/former DCA corps members.

I would support a rule like this!

From what I remember the original rule was that competitors had to to be a current or former marching member or staff of a competing D.C.A corps. But since the participation from member corps has dwindled and with the growth of the Alumni segment, a wider competition base has imo not only maintained but enhanced the event. It would really be cool to see more of the talent in the competing corps involved or as someone previously mentioned just "hang out" with members of other groups in a informal setting prior to "knocking heads" for the remainder of the weekend. But each corps must do what they feel is best for their group.

Edited by Fastone

1. All contestants must be a member of a past or present All Age Competitive Corps or active member of an Alumni Corps.

That's the rule... the only purpose of the rule is to keep a young DCI kid or just some hot shot non drum corps musician from coming over just for giggles... If you at any time have marched an all aged corps competititive or alumni... you will not be excluded... the goal is inclusion not exclusion...

1. All contestants must be a member of a past or present All Age Competitive Corps or active member of an Alumni Corps.

That's the rule... the only purpose of the rule is to keep a young DCI kid or just some hot shot non drum corps musician from coming over just for giggles... If you at any time have marched an all aged corps competititive or alumni... you will not be excluded... the goal is inclusion not exclusion...

I like this a lot,.......................which leads me to one of my other ideas I have forwarded to DCA a few times in recent years,...............A way to help control this and addresss Fastone's post is to have the alumni corps, and other currently non-field competing corps join DCA at a new "affiliate" member level of DCA,...................It can certainly be said that these corps fill out show bills all around the country, by adding a membership level of their own, this would/could/should put some controls on this loosely governed arena (in some peole's opinions) ...............I have posted extensively on this subject in the past, but the idea would be to get these groups linked up on the DCA website, provide additional funds to offset the costs, and further grow the I&E venues......................by extension, the current rule basically allows anyone from anywhere to compete in I&E/mini corps...........................do one performance with any junior or senior alumni, or start up corps, and you qualify.................

spelling corrected,............

Edited by Gary Matczak

Well, it's not just corps denying their members the opportunity. I've been in corps that have gone. But they tend to rehearse right up until the last minute before I&E starts. Which when you're an hours drive from, means you miss 50% of I&E. And if you happen to be signed up for I&E, it means you're playing the loudest notes of your life 45 minutes before you've got to finess the best notes of your life in front of a judging panel at I&E.

Maybe that's not the best idea...

Because seriously if you don't got it by Friday of DCA, you're not gonna get it.