What if I&E was mandatory?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if it should be mandatory. But it'd be interesting to see that if a corps was found to be denying the opportunity to any of it's members that it would forfit share points. Making it mandatory would be more of a burden to the corps. But I guess DCA could benefit from it since there's a fee associated with participation. Baring any increased expenses for making it happen.

I'm also in the camp of, If you aint got by DCA weekend, it aint gonna happen overnight. Not that the competition side is fair in that corps local to DCA get to rehearse Wednesday and Thursday night. While corps not local spend those days on the road to DCA. With all of the aches and pains of spending 30+ hours in a van. Not to mention sleep deprevation.

Although it has somewhat "outgrown" this, I can say from personal knowledge that the original intent of I&E was as a "reward" evening for the competitors... The entire idea of the evening was to benefit the membership and staff of all the corps... it succeeded beyone anyone's wildest dreams... Thank you Mr. Pronti (I was proudly standing next to him when it was proposed and I remember him clearly saying "I have a relative who would be a perfect sucker to run this". and so DCA got the services of the late Donna Ernst and hubby Norm Schaeffer who were so much responsible for the success and growth of this event.)

It is indeed, the "drum corps party" for Championship weekend... only it's before the contests instead of after. The idea of intercorps relationships and comradery - as was so prevelant in years (decades) past is a great one - again, this is a great success story.

In another era with lower drinking ages and less worry about such things as .08 alcohol level etc. the after show party was an important part of the contest. This opportunity for corps intermingling and old friends reuniting after/before doing battle is steeped in tradition - dating to medieval days - Friday night continues this tradition in a "politically correct" and safe way for everyone.

I hope to see everyone there...

Good points are being made here, for and against. I am mostly against that idea. I think mandatory I&E would bring too many people that "have" to perform as opposed to people that "want" to perform. That would take away from the magic and mood this night is all about.

I agree that corps should all let their members participate or attend, since 3 or 4 more hours of rehearsals isn't gonna change much, from what I have seen in the past 9 years anyway. I remember one year we didn't even do one full run-through of the whole weekend. It was also one of the best finals performances the corps has ever had! Sometimes less is more and relaxed members are better performers.

I don't see the point of penalizing a corps for not participating in I&E. Unless being "social" becomes a caption, it still is irrelevant to the actual show being judged on finals night.

Edited by Brigscontrachik05

We could all play "RIO". Does anyone out there know where we could get an arrangement of it?

Just hum a few bars ----- I can fake it.

Interesting topic. I have been involved with corps that practice every available last minute of that weekend and corps that schedule 'party' times for their members, so it is interesting to see how both extremes work.

Guess if you work smart during most of the season then you don't have to work so hard at the end. Do members join a corps or not join a corps because of their I&E policy? I doubt it....but who knows.

I don't think it would be fair to mandate corps on this issue, nor do I think you should penalize corps for not attending. Never did take into account the dollars and cents issue though, so it does add a different perspective on the topic.

One thing's for sure, I'd love to be there to hear this topic discussed at a DCA meeting. They should sell beverages and pulled pork at that event! :cool:

I'll keep reading for more insight.

Edited by Dennis Argul

Who doesn't allow their members to participate in I&E anyway? I didn't realize this happened in DCA. I had to deal with it in DCI, and my corps was pretty solid on that issue. We weren't even allowed to play in the parking lots after the shows which used to be a drum corps tradition, and this was before it was mandated by DCI.

ya know this idea of making I & E mandatory is ubsurd. why would you even ask this question? it has no relevence to dca prelims or finals. jusus there has been I & E forever. different corps used to sponsor these things. wht do you do lay awake in bed thinking of smething to start a thread about? i can't believe that we or i should say i are even discussing this..........i'm outta here

ya know this idea of making I & E mandatory is ubsurd. why would you even ask this question? it has no relevence to dca prelims or finals. jusus there has been I & E forever. different corps used to sponsor these things. wht do you do lay awake in bed thinking of smething to start a thread about? i can't believe that we or i should say i are even discussing this..........i'm outta here

Having ideas, even the most "absurd" ones, is better than having none at all. :cool:

I don't get the foul in asking the question? I think it is legitimate.

As for the topic, I think forcing people to practice and compete in a small ensemble or solo when they have enough to worry about with their show is too much IMO. As for telling corps they can't practice, seriously...what corps out there doesn't squeeze in every available minute throughout the summer to practice, and now your saying you can't 2 days before the big event. What about years when the competition is really close?

I think as it stands is fine. I've never been to I & E in DCI or DCA, but from what I've heard, there is always a big crowd there up in Rochester to watch it.