What if I&E was mandatory?

why doesnt it matter who we're talking about? Do we really need to let this thread turn into a bashfest of those who may not allow their members to do I&E?

we've already seen it turn into a bashfest about mini corps with stands and no drills.

understood,...............but the discussions on mini corps have evolved into the newly adopted rules, and updated and expanded sheets and criteria, which should put a lot of the discussion (bashfest) to rest,............for the good of all,..............so actually, much good has come out of it!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

understood,...............but the discussions on mini corps have evolved into the newly adopted rules, and updated and expanded sheets and criteria, which should put a lot of the discussion (bashfest) to rest,............for the good of all,..............so actually, much good has come out of it!

Very well put Gary. For those of you who don't know this guy..... he has been on top of the minicorps' scene since 1993. He has been relentless in his persuit to promote this venue. Check out his signature, for starters, and you will readily see his passion for Drum Corps'. Certainlly glad he's one of ours. When he posts on this site........and trust me on this.......IT IS NOT LIP SERVICE.

1. All contestants must be a member of a past or present All Age Competitive Corps or active member of an Alumni Corps.

That's the rule... the only purpose of the rule is to keep a young DCI kid or just some hot shot non drum corps musician from coming over just for giggles... If you at any time have marched an all aged corps competititive or alumni... you will not be excluded... the goal is inclusion not exclusion...

How does this apply to the newly formed all age corps. Especially those under 35 members who aren't allowed to be "Competitive" at any DCA shows they may or may not perform at? Where does North Coast Rock, Scream Machine, Prarie Sound, Austin Stars, and others fall with regards to this rule? Can their members perform at I&E without having to rally up enough members to go and also perform as a minicorps.

Maybe that's not the best idea...

Because seriously if you don't got it by Friday of DCA, you're not gonna get it.

Well sometimes you're not signing up for I&E to win. Sometimes it's just about a little extra insurance just so that you can go. And arrive sometime "near" the start of the event.

I will ask RAP for further information on this... I can reiterate that the policy is set to be inclusive not exclusive...

The new corps have declared their intent to be competitive corps. I personally do not believe they would be excluded but let me get a more official answer.

I can say that "experience" has been that they would be more than welcome... Lakeshoremen for instance made a great presence in I&E before ever making it to prelims or any other DCA sanctioned contest (this was when the midwest shows were DCM and not sanctioned by DCA)...

How does this apply to the newly formed all age corps. Especially those under 35 members who aren't allowed to be "Competitive" at any DCA shows they may or may not perform at? Where does North Coast Rock, Scream Machine, Prarie Sound, Austin Stars, and others fall with regards to this rule? Can their members perform at I&E without having to rally up enough members to go and also perform as a minicorps.

well,.................last year Excelcior participated in Mini corps,..............they are brand new,................Renegades first apearance at DCA in 2001 was as a mini corps, and they won the contest,.......... Mass Brass has never been DCA, DCI, or even an Alumni corps, Same for Golden Eagles, Lambertville, and MANY others.................,....................so again,....................(IMO anyways) anyone can participate at DCA I&E............

Edited by Gary Matczak

well,.................last year Excelcior participated in Mini corps,..............they are brand new,................Renegades first apearance at DCA in 2001 was as a mini corps, and they won the contest,.......... Mass Brass has never been DCA, DCI, or even an Alumni corps, Same for Golden Eagles, Lambertville, and MANY others.................,....................so again,....................(IMO anyways) anyone can participate at DCA I&E............

However, EVERY member of Mass Brass (and I'd bet the other corps named) HAVE individually been or still are members of DCA and/or DCI and/or Alumni Corps. Further, the very nature of mini corps essentially establishes them as an alumni corps of the activity, no? Just because a group takes on a different name or persona, it does not mean their drum corps 'heritage' or eligibility to participate is (or should be) lost under present rules.

As for the original topic of this thread, I'd love to see more participation at this event. I'd love to see DCA corps free their performers up for a night off to do what they want but that's each corps' call IMHO. I don't think I'd like to make it mandatory. We (Mass Brass) certainly would not compete if the tables were turned and it was mandatory to compete in the other DCA competitions or the alumni show. (As it is, probably half our corps perform in the alumni show.)

Finally, God Bless Ya, Nick! Way to keep beating that 'real drum corps' drum. (It almost sounds like your channeling Catherine Burr...D'OH!) BTW, Mass Brass is real drum corps in your equation; we play G bugles and our 'drill' consists of a perpetual concert formation with accompanying percussion for same. Can't argue that all of that wasn't part of 'real drum corps' as we knew it!?!?! :tongue:

My name is Strutta.

If you're a Motha...HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! :tongue:

Edited by strutta

However, EVERY member of Mass Brass (and I'd bet the other corps named) HAVE individually been or still are members of DCA and/or DCI and/or Alumni Corps. Further, the very nature of mini corps essentially establishes them as an alumni corps of the activity, no? Just because a group takes on a different name or persona, it does not mean their drum corps 'heritage' or eligibility to participate is (or should be) lost under present rules.

As for the original topic of this thread, I'd love to see more participation at this event. I'd love to see DCA corps free their performers up for a night off to do what they want but that's each corps' call IMHO. I don't think I'd like to make it mandatory. We (Mass Brass) certainly would not compete if the tables were turned and it was mandatory to compete in the other DCA competitions or the alumni show. (As it is, probably half our corps perform in the alumni show.)

Finally, God Bless Ya, Nick! Way to keep beating that 'real drum corps' drum. (It almost sounds like your channeling Catherine Burr...D'OH!) BTW, Mass Brass is real drum corps in your equation; we play G bugles and our 'drill' consists of a perpetual concert formation with accompanying percussion for same. Can't argue that all of that wasn't part of 'real drum corps' as we knew it!?!?! :tongue:

My name is Strutta.

If you're a Motha...HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! :tongue:

PERPETUAL CONCERT FORMATION! :worthy::worthy:

Gotta LOVE that!!!

Hear, Hear!!!!

We have heard from Strutta, the Captain cant be far behind.

Many of the mini corps have members that are affiliated with either a DCA competitve corps or an alumni corps that has a different name than the mini corps they compete with on Friday night....Mass Brass, Ghost Riders, Golden Eagles, Volunteers et al...but they have not competed with that name as a DCA corps. I like Gary's idea of including the alumni corps as a different form of associate member. GR alone has, or has had members from St. Joe's Alumni, Empire Statesmen, Rochester Crusaders, Hamburg Kingsmen, the Dansville White Sabers and others. You probably cannot find "Parts Unknown" on any map.

It is great that you guys have Gary, Gene. His insight into the mini corps movement is invaluable...but, on the other hand, you also have Nick, LOL... His insight is "priceless".

Donny Vibrato

However, EVERY member of Mass Brass (and I'd bet the other corps named) HAVE individually been or still are members of DCA and/or DCI and/or Alumni Corps. Further, the very nature of mini corps essentially establishes them as an alumni corps of the activity, no?

in essence yes,....................but one could infer otherwise like shadow suggests..............plus I don't think the "and/or DCI" counts here................

Just because a group takes on a different name or persona, it does not mean their drum corps 'heritage' or eligibility to participate is (or should be) lost under present rules.

I agree with your opinion, but the reasoning Tom suggests above, and the actual language of the rule itself would suggest otherwise......................just saying..............

Tom has stated the rule for elgibilty correctly. This rule was changed a few years ago because of the popularity of Alumni Corps. If you look at the Friday activity closely you will see more Alumni than present day competitors. Anyone who joins an Alumni is eligible. With realization that an Alumni member may have never marched with any organization before.

The I&E is here to promote our activity, some Corps compete with hopes of one day being able to field a competitive Corps. Some contestants may come from a parade Corps and want to test their skills. We encourage all of the above and yes it is actually possible for a present member of a JR Corps to compete if he has marched with an All Age Corps.

Simply said if a contestant has ever worn any uniform of an "All Age Corps" competitive or a MINI Corps or an alumni Corps he is allowed to compete.