What if I&E was mandatory?

To the original question - not sure if I think making participation mandatory is helpful to the corps themselves.

Some memberships of some corps come from all parts of the world and then to add more music to learn on top of what they already committed to could be a breaking point for participation in said corps.

Also, corps that are struggling for membership to make the minimal count needed, make also be a deciding factor on a corps not making it if that additional burden is placed.

The only reason my corps is on the field this year is because we're doing a reduced schedule. 2 camps a month during May/June. 4 competition weekends plus finals this year.

We wouldn't be active if there was a requirement for a corps to do more than what we're doing.

Could a corps not just play a reduced version of their field show in the mini-corps competition anyway :worthy:

I was surprised to hear that some corps don't allow their members to attend I&E.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me that an intention to produce an adult (or "All-Age") program, whether it be for exhibitions and parades (Alumni Corps?) or competitions would meet the spirit of what DCA is trying to do.

We're really over-analizing this, I think. It is not hard to form a group that DCA would consider eligible. (IMO) The I&E people are trying to advance this activity. And very effectively, I think.

As far as MCA, a drum and bugle corps ensemble, of 21 members or less, meets the requirement, as far as I can see.

It was a shock to have Star decend on the Mini-corps scene, being that they arrived at such a high level. But, as has been mentioned, they have moved the bar and made the rest of us better. And, corps' like Rengades and Golden Eagles (maybe a couple more this year) are not that far off the pace. Which shows that we (the All-Agers) have nothing to fear from new, high-caliber competitors.

As long as they (and we) play by the rules, why not just relax and allow everyone to do what they do best? It has developed into a rich mix of interpretations and presentations; with traditional set-ups and "stage" set-ups. Pop music and classical. Drill and no-drill. Any every combination in between.

Seems like the public is accepting all of these approaches. And maybe we've hit on a growth area that can help the whole activity.

If we don't kill it off, or chase it away.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

I tend to trust the younger folks. Think of it like a county fair or a concert. There is beer everywhere, but the kids aren't allowed to imbibe. Conversely, if a kid is going to sneak a beverage, the location is not really gonna change that (unless, of course, they are at rehearsal). :-)

In the case of the Renegades, since the corps doesn't allow members under 18, it isn't any different than kids going to college. But for some corps that have members as young as 13 and 14, this could become a big liability issue for corps management. It extends beyond the adult beverage issue.

In the case of the Renegades, since the corps doesn't allow members under 18, it isn't any different than kids going to college. But for some corps that have members as young as 13 and 14, this could become a big liability issue for corps management. It extends beyond the adult beverage issue.

BINGO!

One the the several reasons we don't mess with it.

Actually, we have started to allow younger folks, with parental permission. But I see your point beyond booze. In our overly litigious society, better safe than sorry.

But I still think everyone should be encouraged to attend I&E.

Actually, we have started to allow younger folks, with parental permission. But I see your point beyond booze. In our overly litigious society, better safe than sorry.

But I still think everyone should be encouraged to attend I&E.

Just a note here about the youngins'. In Erie we require adult supervision at all rehearsals/shows for those deemed under age. They and/or a designated responsible representative must be present. The responsible rep. must be approved (in writing) by the parent.

I have to ask. Is Nick deemed a designated responsible adult supervisor? Just asking. Dont read anytihng into it, please.

Vinny Vibrato

I think that all corps should support the I and E event by letting their people perform or at least attend it. Although there would be no way to inforce it, there should be a way to either hold back prize money in the form of a fine for the corps that dont comply, or effect them in score by penalization.

I agree with the previous post. If you dont have it by Friday night, you aint gonna get it. The extra tenth(s) that you think you are getting by keeping your people from enjoying one of the highlights of the weekend just arent worth it. The directors should be told they are expected to allow their people to go.

It is way worse in DCI. Not many corps attend that venue at all. And now they have the woodwind individuals as well....oy vay. And in first place in the FLUTE individuals...Sum Yung Gai.

The directors that dont allow participation are taking away a valuable social activity with other corps' members to their corps members IMHO.

Donny

And a day of rest does more for the body than 8 hours of practice. DCI would then be supporting itself and the real meaning of championship week by having members participate.

Its been a neat thread. Now lets get back to the real intention.

Please get your applications in.