Open Brass Positions in Crossmen

I think that this is one of those things that have baffled Drum Corps people for a long time. If you look at all of the high school and college bands in the state, all the DCI corps that hold audition camps there and all of the kids from there who march and have marched, you would think that Texas would be a Drum Corps powerhouse. Maybe it will be someday, but right now I just can't figure it out.

Edited by Piper

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that this is one of those things that have baffled Drum Corps people for a long time. If you look at all of the high school and college bands in the state, all the DCI corps that hold audition camps there and all of the kids from there who march and have marched, you would think that Texas would be a Drum Corps powerhouse. Maybe it will be someday, but right now I just can't figure it out.

One of the things I remember from when my son marched in Revo is that many TX band directors force their kids to make a choice: Drum Corps or Band. Their band camps are extremely intense during the summer and, if you do not attend, you do not march in the competitive band. I do not agree with this philosophy, but alot of the top band programs there have that policy.

One of the things I remember from when my son marched in Revo is that many TX band directors force their kids to make a choice: Drum Corps or Band. Their band camps are extremely intense during the summer and, if you do not attend, you do not march in the competitive band. I do not agree with this philosophy, but alot of the top band programs there have that policy.

I was just about to mention something like this.

But to echo what it says a lot of college professors do not like drum corps because they see it as a waste of time and can possibly hurt their chops by being involved in it. So just the fact that a lessons professor doesn't approve can make it a hard choice to march/ not march a summer.

on the other hand...

some people might get that "bug" to march right now because the time is counting down and they realize that they need to march... so hopefully things will work itself out.

And this goes for all corps, because i can't think of a corps that is full to capacity right now and will stay with all of those members until the season is over.

As a former marching member of a now defunct Texas junior corps (one of many, not to be confused with the handful of senior and all-age corps in the state), let me say my money's on the Crossmen.

And for those who have band directors who pull the old "choose band or corps, you can't do both," I say march corps and play in your concert band season. My director tried to pull that stuff my senior year by threatening to take away my rank as drum captain. When I came back, I was still drum captain. You'd think that by now band programs would stop that kind of bullying. People who march corps come back strong and with a work ethic most bands would kill for.

I've been in and around Texas school music for 30 years, including college level. Kids march corps and still do wonderfully in their college performance degree plans. There are plenty of performance profs who get it.

If only I had the money...

..and could play brass...

haha my horn professor said...

"omg, do it. I think it'll really probably hurt your horn chops, but do it, you can take lessons the rest of your life? how much longer can you do DCI?"

Well they can't blame all their problems on YEA/Hopkins anymore :tongue:

They've never done any such thing. People just enjoy putting words in their (the Crossmen's) mouths. :tongue:

Similarly, the Crossmen have never claimed that Texas will automatically save the organization. Any such claim is an invention of the public (mainly DCPers with help from the occasional stray Texan). In the end, it is up to the organization to save the organization. I will not comment on the alleged "increased quality of the average member due to the move to Texas" because I find it to be irrelevant. I would instead like to point out that for the 2008 season, the quality of instruction for the hornline has greatly improved. Please note also that this change from last year was made completely independent of the move to Texas.

The outcome of this season is ultimately dependent on the amount and quality of work to be put in by the corps, on the leadership of the veterans, and on the determination of the staff and the members. Not, as some people would like it to be, on the quality of the members coming out of Texas.