How Much Did You Spend?

Thought this might make an interesting topic, and I've never seen it discussed here before. So how much did you spend getting items for tour?

By the time I got to second tour, I was always flat broke. So the answer to that question would be $0, unfortunately. Which means I don't have any of the classic T-shirts and other corps memorabilia from the '70s. :tongue:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so, the obvious followup question (to me at least) is: how much SHOULD you spend?

by the sound of things, a pair of swimming trunks for rehearsals, one each of shorts/shirt/boxers for free days, toothbrush and toothpaste, febreeze, and deodorant should do it... but that seems gross :tongue:

$128

I decided this season I'm going to bring a much smaller suitecase, or a big suitecase with very few things in it so that i'll have room for stuff i pick up on tour.

3-4 white t shirts, 3-4 pairs of shorts, 12-14 pairs of socks, long white socks for shows (8 pairs at the most, probably less), 3-4 pairs of underwear (who wears underwear?!?!?)

then a shirt and khaki shorts for free days.

2 pairs of shoes.

toiletries.

food(snacks).

thats about it...

not too much $$

Edited by gjdavistuba

Underwear?

Hah!

Personally, I never understood how people went commando during rehearsal.

I mean, coming from a guard person, support is necessary for all the jumping around, ground rolls, and what not.

Either way...underwear...necessity. I brought lots of boxers and briefs.

When you run out of regular shorts, the boxers are a good double for shorts, and the briefs keep things in place.

Plus, they take up less space and are lightweight.

Rookie year, I totally overpacked and ended up sending some things home.

To be honest, you really don't need that many rehearsal clothes...febreeze is great. Just make sure you dont overwear things to the point of no return.

White undershirts/"wife beaters" are also good to have.

Another thing, we would typically get time to go to walmart/meijer toward the end of move-ins to get any last things for tour. If your corps does this, I'd definetly suggest getting a bus box and stuff like that at that point, instead of packing it with you now.

Other necessities:

*gold bond + gold bond foot cream = great combo for keeping chaffing away and staying moderately comfy

*PLENTY OF SOCKS (its always great to put on a clean, dry pair of socks)

*1 gallon water jug

*aloe

*sweatpants/running pants + hoodie/sweatshirt...for the cool days and on the bus

*extra pair of rehearsal shoes

*the extra big Ziploc storage bags for dirty clothes.

*fanny pack (not a lot of people use them, but i liked it. kept my dot book, pencil, and dct readily available)

*FREE TIME CLOTHES! Some decent teeshirts, 1 or 2 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of casual shorts...I mean, i'm in the colorguard, so i clearly pack for free time clothes than this

Personally, I never understood how people went commando during rehearsal.

I mean, coming from a guard person, support is necessary for all the jumping around, ground rolls, and what not.

Either way...underwear...necessity. I brought lots of boxers and briefs.

And then there's the whole issue of . . . uh, leakage. For lack of a more dainty term. Never got the whole "no underwear" thing.

Items I wish I'd spent more money on prior to tour were for sun protection: hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, protective clothing, etc.

A good secondary item, in addition to the usual toiletries, is mosquito repellent. I don't know if anyone has been inffected with West Nile Virus via drum corps tour, but it definitely is out there.

It's important to have clothing options for different types of weather: In '78, I didn't bring along enough warm clothing, and sure enough, out west it got quite chilly at night. Then, in '79 and '80, I did pack some warm clothing, and of course it was unbearably hot and humid all summer long, so all that stuff did was take up space in my suitcase. Still, if I hadn't brought it. . . .

Edited by byline

No underwear?

Try marching in a bassline were you basically crab step the whole show and then we'll talk about no underwear during rehearsal. I hated the rare times the drumline decided we would go commando for a show.

I packed a duffle bag (army type) you can get a lot of stuff in one and it doesn't take up a lot of space in the bus bay.

Sound advice.

Honestly you could probably get by with 1 pair of shorts and 3-4 shirts and nobody would know the difference.

I know a guy that packed for tour in a small carry on bag. He was pretty hardcore though.

For me personally the most important thing was SOCKS. After the first time you wear them socks never feel the same, and the feeling of a brand new pair of socks is indescribable on tour because you will be much more in tune with how your feet feel.

Socks?! Who needs socks when you wear Vans all summer.

Hey wasn't the rehearsal uniform for the Scouts Speedos, because they could be washed out each night in the sink?