Marching Keyboards

The great Todd Weich. The best ad disbled Americns ever had, IMO.

Back to Cliff DeArment, listen to "Backwoods Sideman" from the 78 Blue Star show. The marimba sound is absolutely phenomenal, and one of the things that made my ears perk up and made me want to be a pithead (the other being the magic that was the 'Dance Russe' Phantom keyboard break at 3:53 in their 78 Stravinsky medley. Marrone.).

I want to take you guys back a ways. I don't know if it was The Boston Crusaders, but my brain says it might have been. I think they were the first I heard with a xylo. But they played a really cool drum solo that featured sort of a Dave Brubeck kind of riff (could be wrong about the composer but it was way jazzy) It had this syncopated deal going on that was not hard to play between the snares and the toms and the xylo (I think it was something like a xylo at least!) Doesn't anybody remember that drum break/solo?

I also think that it was so darn cool that some other corps must have had to play it, too. That's what happened BITD.

Please let me off the hook here.

Puppet

Or are all the martinis catching up?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to take you guys back a ways. I don't know if it was The Boston Crusaders, but my brain says it might have been. I think they were the first I heard with a xylo. But they played a really cool drum solo that featured sort of a Dave Brubeck kind of riff (could be wrong about the composer but it was way jazzy) It had this syncopated deal going on that was not hard to play between the snares and the toms and the xylo (I think it was something like a xylo at least!) Doesn't anybody remember that drum break/solo?

I also think that it was so darn cool that some other corps must have had to play it, too. That's what happened BITD.

Please let me off the hook here.

Puppet

Or are all the martinis catching up?

BAC 1969, The Dave Brubeck piece was un-square dance in 7/8

Boston also played a jazz version of "Pop goes the weasel"

They had to learn two version of each solo with and without the bells. At the VFW they

would have been disqualified, at other shows they just took the penalty

Edited by St_Marys64

• 4 years later...

We marched a vibe that had a very light aluminium tubular stand that allowed the instrument to be grounded when the marching member was not on the move.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but I remember a guy in the Connecticut Hurricanes (DCA) that carried a full set of eight Octobans! (Google it) He had a bar that he could set on the ground to save his back, but I can only imagine that they were pretty heavy!

As a former marching timpanist, I can only say that they WEREN'T as heavy as you'd think! Actually pretty tolerable if you had the right kind of straps.

Yes, Skyliners back in the 70s.

Ray

Played by Jack McGuinness in 1975 or 1976 ... he currently play in Sky Alumni's "Pit" ...

:-)