Local joints

:worthy:

Stop it Mike...you're making me hungrier than I already am.. :thumbup:

That donut place in Seattle sounds good though..(If I ever get back there)

Pat

Yes, Top Pot is great. Don't count on coming to Seattle for a drum corps show this summer, though. Even though there is a show called the Seattle Music Games (http://www.nwmusicgames.org/) [well, OK, the show seems to have two names, neither describing the city it is actually held in], its in Hillsboro, Oregon, about 190 miles away. Is this a record for geographic misnaming of a show?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I now reside in the armpit of the universe - that being Fort Lauderdale, FL but I have fond memories from opposite ends of the country:

Live Bait and terrific eatery located on 23rd Street just east of Broadway in the shadow of the famous Flatiron building. As you would think - great fish and every thing else plus it's a bar!

And perhaps someone can tell me if Barney's Beanery is still there in West Hollywood CA - I think it was on Santa Monica Boulevard. If it's not, it sure would be a shame - it was like 50 years old back in the mid 80's.

You might see a trend - but Barney's had a bar, too.

So does practically every great eating place I like.

Hmmm. I like food and I like booze.

Puppet

And perhaps someone can tell me if Barney's Beanery is still there in West Hollywood CA - I think it was on Santa Monica Boulevard.

Still there ... Never been there myself, but heard a lot of friends talking about it.

Inspired by the Revere Beach thread, what are some of the local joints that you insist on taking your friends to that don't show up on the Michelin, AAA or Zagat books, or get featured on "Unwrapped" on Food Network?

Here's one. Luv-It Frozen Custard in Las Vegas. Luv-It has been around for decades. It was originally owned by a couple who have since passed it on to their daughter, and is now owned by her son. Three generations.

It's not in the nicest part of town, just off Las Vegas Boulevard between downtown and The Strip, and right next to the Olympic Gardens, one of Las Vegas' oldest strip bars. It only takes cash, and everything comes out through a small window. But you'll see people lined up to order and leaned up against the building to enjoy their frozen custard on weekend nights.

I was lucky enough to be introduced to Luv-It before I lived in Las Vegas. We make it a place for a special treat, and I refer visitors that come to my restaurant there all the time.

So, where do you take your friends?

Garry in Vegas

I"m going to go with 2 very drum corps oriented places.

1. Kelly's in Wildwood NJ. Been a drum corps landmark for decades. the bar of choice after a show in Wildwood. I also had my first illegal underage drink at this place when I was 16. Stole my brother's draft card and used it as ID for the weekend.

2. The Venice, Bayonne NJ. Probably the best drum Corps bar in the country and it was the watering hole for the best drum corps city in the country Bayonne, home of you know who.

I"m going to go with 2 very drum corps oriented places.

1. Kelly's in Wildwood NJ. Been a drum corps landmark for decades. the bar of choice after a show in Wildwood. I also had my first illegal underage drink at this place when I was 16. Stole my brother's draft card and used it as ID for the weekend.

2. The Venice, Bayonne NJ. Probably the best drum Corps bar in the country and it was the watering hole for the best drum corps city in the country Bayonne, home of you know who.

Kelly's in wildwood definately was the place to be at while down in wildwood. I remember marcing past kellys during the parade and doing a park and blow for all the drum corps people camped out there watching the parade outside. Even downed a few there after I aged out of junior corps..... Ahh the memories...!

Inspired by the Revere Beach thread, what are some of the local joints that you insist on taking your friends to that don't show up on the Michelin, AAA or Zagat books, or get featured on "Unwrapped" on Food Network?

Here's one. Luv-It Frozen Custard in Las Vegas. Luv-It has been around for decades. It was originally owned by a couple who have since passed it on to their daughter, and is now owned by her son. Three generations.

It's not in the nicest part of town, just off Las Vegas Boulevard between downtown and The Strip, and right next to the Olympic Gardens, one of Las Vegas' oldest strip bars. It only takes cash, and everything comes out through a small window. But you'll see people lined up to order and leaned up against the building to enjoy their frozen custard on weekend nights.

I was lucky enough to be introduced to Luv-It before I lived in Las Vegas. We make it a place for a special treat, and I refer visitors that come to my restaurant there all the time.

So, where do you take your friends?

Garry in Vegas

Ya know Garry, I've still never been to Luv-It. I found out about it about three or four years ago, and have been lactose intolerant for about that long too. It's a shame.

I think I'm just going to go for it and accept the consequences. I need to try this.

Also, best restaurant in town (and usually just has locals) is Firefly on Paradise and Howard Hughes. Best restaurant in the Universe!

Ya know Garry, I've still never been to Luv-It. I found out about it about three or four years ago, and have been lactose intolerant for about that long too. It's a shame.

I think I'm just going to go for it and accept the consequences. I need to try this.

It might be worth the suffering!

Also, best restaurant in town (and usually just has locals) is Firefly on Paradise and Howard Hughes. Best restaurant in the Universe!

Ah....tapas! The Firefly

I work right around the corner from the Firefly. They have an Asian themed one next door, too. Dragonfly.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Abbot's Frozen custard in Rochester.

They have half a dozen shops.

Well worth the visit.

Other very good roast beef joints in MA:

Nicks in Beverly

Billy's on the Wakefield/ Melrose line(100 feet from my mother-in-laws house)

Southern Ohio is great for chili:

I prefer Goldstar over Skyline

If in Cincy the Montgomery Inn is a must for BBQ. Their homeade chips with a side of warm BBQ sauce is an amazing appetizer.

Northern Ohio:

Tony Packos in Toledo. The neighborhood has seen better days but the dogs are still stick to your ribs good.