Whatin the world is happening to MEMPHIS

I've heard one of last year's percussion members talk to the caption head, and the situation is not good. The individual who wrote the drum book for the '08 season isn't allowing those notes to be performed on the field this summer. All of the percussion vets (of whom I'm aware) who decided or were persuaded to return this year have changed their minds, and a few are actively seeking spots elsewhere. The drumline, at least, seems to have been completely eviscerated from top to bottom, and not all of the bass spots had even been contracted out. Last year proves that it is possible to win a drum trophy with only 2 vets on your line, but if a corps is fielded this year, the drumline will--despite rumors or Pollyannish optimism--be starting from scratch, now.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard one of last year's percussion members talk to the caption head, and the situation is not good. The individual who wrote the drum book for the '08 season isn't allowing those notes to be performed on the field this summer. All of the percussion vets (of whom I'm aware) who decided or were persuaded to return this year have changed their minds, and a few are actively seeking spots elsewhere. The drumline, at least, seems to have been completely eviscerated from top to bottom, and not all of the bass spots had even been contracted out. Last year proves that it is possible to win a drum trophy with only 2 vets on your line, but if a corps is fielded this year, the drumline will--despite rumors or Pollyannish optimism--be starting from scratch, now.

These "vets" you speak of must be aware that it is against DCI regulations to leave a corps and join another so late in the season unless they have consent from the director of their old corps. most people who have marched corps are aware of this rule... did their past director say it was okay for them to move on to somewhere else?

unless of course, this happened before March

Edited by baritone9172

These "vets" you speak of must be aware that it is against DCI regulations to leave a corps and join another so late in the season unless they have consent from the director of their old corps. most people who have marched corps are aware of this rule... did their past director say it was okay for them to move on to somewhere else?

Unless, of course, Memphis doesn't take the field this summer, in which case the point would be moot.

These "vets" you speak of must be aware that it is against DCI regulations to leave a corps and join another so late in the season unless they have consent from the director of their old corps.

The percussion vets I know hadn't signed contracts yet, and even if they had, nothing could have forced them to march at Memphis. My conclusion remains.

show me when the last time this was enforced. show me the DCI Open Class police force that even cares.

show me when the last time this was enforced. show me the DCI Open Class police force that even cares.

It happens. I'm pretty sure corps directors will enforce this when members are jumping ship to go compete against them. And I'm also pretty sure DCI cares, they don't just make up these rules to not enforce them...

It happens. I'm pretty sure corps directors will enforce this when members are jumping ship to go compete against them. And I'm also pretty sure DCI cares, they don't just make up these rules to not enforce them...

What you're speaking of deals more with money as no one can force anyone to be at one corps or another at any given time. However, if an individual owes any money to one corps, then it is usually the guidelines of the other corps that that person cannot march until their dues to the previous corps have been satisfied. It would be more difficult for an individual to switch corps now than say a month ago because contracts usually have a date set for when you are responsible for X% of the dues for the summer. Around now, that number should be close to, if not 100%.

and still they can't seem to hold onto them.....hmmmm.

i'm not sure what you're trying to say exactly... but up untill now memphis has kept their techs very well, moreso than most corps... untill now that is... but if the point you're trying to make is that memphis is going through hard times right now... congratulations... but we all know, thanks?

If it was a World Class corps or a member corps I understand, but DCI has no direct authority over Open Class. I don't even believe Open Class is represented on the DCI BoD.