Whatin the world is happening to MEMPHIS

You know what I love about generalizations? They're not always true.

As EndzoneEric pointed out, this is a public forum. I merely commented on my observations. I would also like to politely disagree. The business a corps does IS the public's business when their business affects their image, their reputation, and how much people may want to stay affiliated with them. Also, I think having key staffers quit weeks before move-ins is a far bigger problem than arranging management in January.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man talk about a disappointment, i have to say the way Mempho 08 is goin is a huge embarrasment. As a fan of memphis sound I was very uneasy to see their staff from last year leave. then they made Pam opie the director which made me even sicker, because i mean c'mon its like hiring a band mom as director. Anyways since memphis's perc. staff and visual staff has left I am totally sick about the way they are going. I am embarrased to say that I ever respected or liked their organization. No offense to anyone who has marched there in the past, but what pam opie has done this year is a disaster to anyone who ever like memphis sound

Judging from your posting name, I assume you marched in '07... or at least intended to march. That would make you the most open-minded person to make judgement on this topic, right? Maybe in a few years you will realize what you are really saying. Your opinion on this topic is your own and it should be probably be left at that. You can make whatever predictions you would like to about their upcoming year, but what happens if you are wrong? Will you be held accountable for the potential libal you had said? Of course not. You will just go on with your posting of ignorant statements because you feel that you have been wronged according to second hand stories you have heard. So do us a favor and just keep it to yourself and let the corps prove it on the field. I doubt you'll listen, but at least this was fun to type.

If you want to know what's going on in Memphis, why not go to Memphis and find out? You won't find anything here.

Judging from your posting name, I assume you marched in '07...

Or it could mean that the poster is actually a baritone player in Her Majesty's Secret Service. Licensed to trill.

Hey everyone....someone (me) said there would be issues coming out of Memphis when Corey was let go. And...as I predicted, it is coming to pass.

Now, the louder Memphos voice their denials with all the vitriol (what's the matter, did you get cut? kind of thing) the more credible they make the issues coming from Memphis.

Thank goodness two things are in Memphis' favor...

1. they have an extremely short competitive season. I would be hoping the group would take the opportunity to do tons of local concerts/parades and events in the Memphis area.

2. they do not have far to travel to finals in Bloomington. Their travel budget will be much smaller than many Open Class corps.

Now, as to the point of their current director. I'm sure it came as a necessity. I believe there is little or no money to pay for a director, or for a staff. So, it's most likely not an issue of egos, it's an issue of getting paid for their time. So, we'll see what a volunteer staff can accomplish this year in Memphis.

We will see.

By the way, to jump on another point...a championship is sometimes the worst thing that can happen to an organization. I would point people to Phantom Regiment circa 1996 - 1999. The dark years.

Look I know everyone has their own opinion. But don't count the corps out yet. you can say what you want but the fact is, if the corps folds it folds, if it doesn't it doesn't, and you wont be positive of that until it actually does one of the two. So please don't be so disrespectful to a group who is going through a situation that almost EVERY organization has had to go through at some point.

Now, the louder Memphos voice their denials with all the vitriol (what's the matter, did you get cut? kind of thing) the more credible they make the issues coming from Memphis.

Or I could just be someone who has no current or prior involvement, bias, or ties to any open class corps. It just seems like something completely unnecessary and unprovoked. The word "bitter" comes to mind.