Change of heart

In 2004 I remember seeing BD in Allentown. It was the first time I'd seem them, and my reaction was "To paraphrase Cartman, 'that show sucked balls.'" By the end of the season I enjoyed it quite a bit, especially finals night; their performance was on fire and I loved when they took the train into the tunnel. I really like the responsorial blues trpt. solos and the ballad. Cadets '05 was the same; I heard all summer about how amazing it was, then saw it in Pittsburgh a week before finals, and was just like "What? I don't like that at all." Of course by the end I was loving ever minute of it, and made a point of staying for their encore at finals. It's probably my pick for best show ever and it's the reason I marched Cadets. I feel like a lot of people who hate that show just saw it once, and it was a show that needed repeat viewing--but I don't want to get into a big argument about it here. The point is, what shows did you not like in the season that by finals (or later viewings) were your favorites? I guess you can go the other way too, but it'd be nice to be positive...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My heart has really changed for the Cadets. Regardless of the controversy, they've still got the most notes, craziest tempos, overall demand, and as of late, incredible performance.

2007 Cadets - Narration or not, it was demanding, face-peeling loud, and holy-wow fast. What I would do to sit in front of their company fronts charging at me like that... Even if you hated the show, this corps was a brutal monster. I would be terrified to warm up next to them. You know it you've all been there...

2006 Cadets - Again, the controversy made me hate it in the beginning, but in the end it was quite a horn book and a phenomenal ballad

2005 Cadets - It was just odd. I didn't understand it. In the end, this show really just opened my eyes to the Cadets. Possibly the most avant-garde design I've seen. This show really pushed the envelope

Other honorable mentions:

2006 Phantom Regiment - Didn't care for it at all, probably because I saw them early season. The show looked very average with a boring visual design. However, it grew on me quite quickly. The performance really did it in for me.

1999 Santa Clara Vanguard - Never really developed for me. I didn't like it because of the dirty visuals, both drill and guard. In the end, I got to hand it to them for a solid performance.

1998 Cadets - Again the show was odd, it wasn't loud, it was fast, but i felt it was really slowly developed. But comparing the feet of these guys to any other corps, it's pretty phenomenal.

----The opposite "Loved it and then didn't care much for"------

2002 Cavaliers - Was my favorite show for a long long time. Eventually, I lost the hair tingling excitement from watching it

2003 Phantom Regiment - I began to find that the brass book outdid the performance of the brass line

2004 Cadets - I was jammin to this all summer long. I was left with a very stale visual program

2005 Phantom Regiment - Great performance awesome concept. Once I got it on DVD, I was much less impressed

2000 Cavaliers - Great show, but watching it back to back with the Cadets, I still don't think it was as good by natural comparisons.

Blue Devils.....pick a year!

Most notably, 97 and 98.

Cavies 2003

Cavies 2003

Cadets 2005

Bluecoats 2007 (mainly just because i didn't pay attention til my 4th or 5th time watching)

2007 Cadets

2006 Phantom

2003 Cavies (now one of my favorite shows)

Cadets 2005. I hated it when I saw it at firstbeat... now it's one of my favorite shows.

~>conner