What show do you show...

It's not a show and is aimed more at sponsors, but has lots of good information...

www.dci.org/about

Great suggestion! I think this clip does a great job of introducing drum corps, bringing it out into center stage, and showing it's not just the half-time show, since many people just think of it as a marching-band half-time performance. It shows drum corps in the light of professionalism - with television and theatre broadcasts, professional announcers, mentions the tour with number of shows, number of states, and shows how many people attend finals and competitions. To me, this is an attention grabber that would make people think - hmm... maybe I should check this out. It shows many different corps, lots of splashes of color, and shows the joy and exuberation on the performer's faces. I thinks it's a great intro and is only 6 minutes long. What it doesn't have is the sound. So then you can follow it up with your choice of great drum corps shows. Win-win.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to brag but I've shown a lot of people Cadets 2000 (of course). They love the gimmicks and now most of them follow the activity.

Me too.

The first DCI related thing I showed my mom was Cavaliers 2004, and she was hooked. She loves classical music, so she's into Phantom now, and loved the Faust show at the countdown :dancin:

One more for the masses :w00t:

Because one of the alumni in my high school's marching band marched with The Cavaliers, their shows seem to be the ones of choice to show the various bands (5th grade, Middle School, and High School). They love "Frameworks" and "Machine." I think the '06 is great to show. Simple concept, great drill and music, expressive guard... it's cool stuff.

Other than that, I would probably lean towards shows from The Cadets- 2000, 2005, maybe even 2006. I know the director of the marching band is dying to show his Middle School the Scouts show from last season.

Wow . . . there are so many aspects to drum corps for a new person to take in.

Well, because I'm a Crown geek I would show them shows like 04 / 05 / or 07 for something tonal, familiar, and really fun. If they liked Classical, I'd show them Vanguard 04 (one of my all-time favorites!), or Phantom 04 / 05. Also, if they wanted to see more complex ideas, I'd show them Phantom 03 (another one of my all-time favorites), or The Cavaliers 02 (phenomenal visual program).

Now . . . if I could only convince my college professors that drum corps is not a force of evil, I'll consider myself successful!

If you could pick one or two shows to show people who don't know anything about DCI or understand it all, what shows would you show?

I personally would probably show Cavaliers 2002 shows "Frameworks" because it seems to impress people who don't know anything about DCI because of all the cool moves and the dancing.

Maybe excerpts..Cadets "Moondance" and Crown "Bohemian Rhapsody" come to mind for someone into popular music.

Nothing before 2000, IMO, since you are trying to show them what is IS, not what it was.

i would show cadets 2007 only as adci preview,

and i'd show this to people who think "summer marching band" is weak...in defense of my friend.

phantom, wow.

edit--sorry about the youtube reference it's just jazz running i couldn't resist...

Edited by dcpfan08

1995, 1997 Madison.

Crown 2007.

Cadets 2000, 2005.

Cavies 2004.

really any of these would make for a great introduction to the activity, I would probably start with the 1995 Madison Scouts though. Its a great way to show newbies the ropes in Drum Corps.

Maybe excerpts..Cadets "Moondance" and Crown "Bohemian Rhapsody" come to mind for someone into popular music.

Nothing before 2000, IMO, since you are trying to show them what is IS, not what it was.

No. Drum corps still "is" the audio and video recordings of great shows throughout the past 40 years as much as it "is" the current productions on the field and as much as it "is" having a personal marching experience. For someone who so adamantly insists that drum corps "is what it is," that's a pretty narrow statement. It's perfectly possible to be a fan of drum corps and completely disregard the current product if it's not something you're interested in.

If I were to show a person a show, it would depend a bit on what they enjoy:

Visceral/short attention span - Madison 95

Decent attention span, but not quite cerebral - Crown 07

Unsure/just a great show to introduce people with - Cadets 2000 (preferred example for most)

Classical Music fan, dark tendencies - PR 96

Hornline person, Jazz - BD 94

To emphasize intensity - SCV 99/00

I try to pick shows that are quintessential drum corps mainstays that tend to really hold on from you all the way through. Of course, I show my own show, PR 03, if prodded - but that always seems weird.

Edit: Jethro Tull fans (I think I might know one, maybe...wait) - Cadets 04

Edited by raphael18