Most underrated show

'85 Phantom- Symphonie Fantastique

I have to agree with you there. Beast of a drill, RIP John B Brazale , and the horn writing was some of best from Jim Wren.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with you there. Beast of a drill, RIP John B Brazale , and the horn writing was some of best from Jim Wren.

That 1985 program was a beast of a brass book from Jim Wren, too. Much harder than most of the other corps that year, IMO. I love the final chord of "March to the Scaffold". (A little baritone heavy - IOW, perfect.) I never gave this show much thought until after I became a Phan in 1989. Then, I went back and listened more closely - and got hooked!

82 Garfield hardly ever gets mentioned, but much better than 83 imo. They jumped 2 spots at finals.

Mmmm yes. I'll take their Cuban Overture over Scouts '94 most days.

You never hear much about these shows...

Crossmen '93

Glassmen '95

Colts '96

i saw the glassmen in 95 at the jacksonville al show from the press box standing about 10 feet from their staff and i wanted to hug all of them. loved that show, even more so because when i marched madison the glassmen were kind of like our midwestern little brothers, we used to cheer for them and the colts at every show.

THANK YOU...no one believes me when I say this is my favorite version of Malagueña in DCI. Even people who marched this show don't seem to like it, and apparently George Hopkins was disappointed in the direction it went.

eh... the show was good enough, but it was kind of a waste.

that was the BEST CORPS i've ever seen with a show that screams "non-world champion," which is disappointing. the battery and pit were amazing, the guard was unreal, and the hornline was outstanding (but not quite 2001 caliber). (also, the drum majors were phenomenal -- and handsome and charming, of course.)

kinda makes me wish we had done something a little more-out there, instead of reruns where the original couldn't be matched.

(but the z-pull was awesome to see every night.)

eh... the show was good enough, but it was kind of a waste.

To you. That happens to be one of my favorite Cadets show and corps. Aside from Rocky Point Holiday I thought the pieces definitely lived up to the original, at least from what I've seen in DCI. I loved the design of that show in and out. Weird to think a random fan appreciates a show that he never even saw live more than one of the drum majors that year... :dancin:

I'll dare to throw three more out there (I got to watch a lot more shows live repeatedly in 04 than most years):

Crossmen 04 - I really enjoyed this show from top to bottom - the ballad turned into a great moment.

Magic 04 - People can say what they will, I thought this show was a freaking blast to watch. Loved it.

Mandarins 04 - Love the Last Samaurii soundtrack, and even I was impressed by a rifle line spinning two rifles at once.