1983 DCI

I love buying the Legacy DVD's and jogging my memory. Most of the time what I remembered is so different that what it actually was. It's amazing how I saw things as a 16 year old.

So I haven't watched all of it yet - but so far:

27th Lancers - man is this show under rated - Great guard and the drill was actually pretty cool (don't know who wrote it). I don't know why they weren't higher that year. The drumline is phenomenal. I'm guessing horns kept them down? I forgot how small rifles were back then.

Cavaliers - the show just seems so slow that year. Didn't remember that the rifles wore capes in the opener - not sure I like that. Not a great show - but Pines of Rome as a closer was really strong and you can see what the Cavaliers were to going become when watching the closer. Oh yeah - great rifle line as usual (I always have to plug that rifle line :whip: )

Vanguard - ok, so I'm a guard person and that's what I mostly watch. And SCV's guard seemed very, very nervous at finals. Errors are everywhere in the opener - not sure what happened there. Love the show though. The steel drums in the drum solo are pretty cool.

Madison - love the corps uniform that year. The opener just seems really out of place with the rest of the show. I know that this was way before shows had to have concepts and themes - but still - strange mix going on. Great Guard though.

Bridgemen - fun, fun show. Bad, bad drill. Huge and effective guard really added to the show.

Cadets - wow. Even after all these years - they still impress the hell out of me. The determination on their faces on that night is incredible. And the show. I remember watching it then and thinking how different they were. Seeing it today made me realize just how different. It must have been so cool to be part of that corps - they had to know just how different and amazing they were that year.

Blue Devils - It just seemed like a lesser version than the '82 show. I love how they use exactly the same opening drill in T.O (we could do that back then!). The guard was cutting edge back then - and really incorporated dance and movement effortlessly - it looked like dance as opposed to most guards who just "moved".

Suncoast Sound - I love listening to this corps and it was great to see that visually it was just as good. These guys could really march in the early '80's and had some great drill that really integrated the guard. The gaurd itself though was a bit on the cheesy side.

Guard rant: The only thing that I found annoying was the way that flags never bothered making sure that the silks stayed open. They just kept doing work while the flag was totally wrapped around the pole. I know I always got yelled at for wrapping the silk (but I'm trying to remember if they only started yelling in the late '80's).

Gotta watch the rest now!

Later,

Mike

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

**coughAny mention of Sky Ryders noticeably absentcough**

Edited by tommytimp

Sorry - haven't watched them yet. They're on the list along with Freelancers and Spirit.

Later,

Mike

Yes I love 83's color guard. I think the horn line was holding the rest of the corps back. I almost went to march that year after MB3 folded but had to take the rest of the summer off.

Anyway, the drum line was a precurser to 84's phenomenal kick butt drum line! :whip: I love the Camelot show! Alot of folks think it's underrated!

Well, thats because the Skyryders were a complete and udder mess. A drill that was about June in regards to cleanliness, a snails pace, underexposed design, A horrid drumline and a flagline that could barely spin, compared to the outstanding rifle line. 1982 is what kept them in and they should have lost to Crossmen, Troopers, Alliance, and Knights.

1983 overall was a weird year as the activity struggled to adapt while keeping true to their traditions. The DVD coverage is crap and you really should check out high camera angles to truly appreciate corps like Phantom Regiment, and Garfield, the two best drills out there that year. SCV was clean as heck, and 27th is the most underrated show of all time, imo. That drill, along with that guard, and percussion should have kept them ahead of the Cavaliers, Freelancers and Spirit. That was the first year with the small rifles and I think Jeff Namien had something to do with that.

Too bad Knights didnt make it, one of the most forgotten, overlooked shows of the eighties.

~G~

Aside from the history changing drill, what I remember most about the Cadets was that at the end of the Z-pull their interval(when that type of thing mattered) was perfect.

It was jaw dropping to watch that!!!!

Edited by dckid80

I kind of liked Cavaliers' opener that year.

Edited by Michael Boo

Having been there, taught that, I am not so sure we feel it was underrated. We had our issues. IIRC on the Visual side - John Bodie wrote the show with help from Kevin Walsh. I'll give John all the credit in the world. He marched in 78, and joined the visual staff in 79 as a tech. He had worked along side George Zingali, Marc Sylvester, Peggy Twiggs, Denise Bonfiglio, Gerry Coradino, Kevin Walsh and others for the next few years. In 1983, John gave 500% when it was his turn to help the corps. There were re-writes that prevented us from having a totally coordinated show front to back.

Muscially, we had a new brass staff, with Eric Rosen taking over. He brought along Doug Bish, Tom Lizotte and a few others. While they loads of high level experience, they were joining the 27th Lancers.

The drum staff was nearly complete alumni and we were very tight. The only "outsider" was the legendary Charley Poole, who had earned his stripes as a National Snare Champion with the Boston Crusaders. Charley joined the Lancer drum staff in 1977 and worked with Miker Kumer. Charley took over the drum program in 1979 and the rest is history. All the other guys on the drum staff were alumni including Jack Cash (who also wrote and worked the line), Scott Stannard (snares), Authur Fabrizio (keys and timps), and John Mauro - who inherited the bass (aka Spaceline) when I took over the quad line.

Musically, I know I was not personally happy with the show. It was the beginning of the end for the genre - we were trying to maintain the British Isles image, yet musically we were starving for ideas.

It was a very proud year, and our members worked their butts off. I think after assessing all of the internal issues we dealt with, we were not bitter about 10th.