1983 DCI

Cadets - wow. Even after all these years - they still impress the hell out of me. The determination on their faces on that night is incredible. And the show. I remember watching it then and thinking how different they were. Seeing it today made me realize just how different. It must have been so cool to be part of that corps - they had to know just how different and amazing they were that year

Later,

Mike

Thanks for your comments. It was great to be part of the corps both in 82 and 83. It's hard to imagine that it's been 25 years ago. I FINALLY "aged out" last year in the Reading Buccaneers. But, it was fun having members ask me what it was like back then and then see the shocked look on their face when I told them how poor we were and how many times our TINY food truck would break down while on tour.

BTW. Heard from a fellow alum yesterday. He heard the Cadets after one of the Memorial Day parades. All he could say is HOLY Sh** they sound good.

I look forward to seeing them on July 5 in Clifton.

Bob Mayer

Edited by CadetBob83

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to add to what I said earlier. I had the pleasure to be instructed last summer by Gino Cipriani. Gino was in the 83 Blue Devils. He took it well. :thumbdown:

Bob Mayer

Just to add to what I said earlier. I had the pleasure to be instructed last summer by Gino Cipriani. Gino was in the 83 Blue Devils...

And 84....AND 85!!! of all the years to march BD, he had to make it the Garfield 3-peat years!!

And re your food truck....had you marched 84, we would've fed you going into Canada after a raidned out show in Michigan!

Was this the first year without ticks?? Scores bounced all over the place. Great corps that never made finals that year - The Knights and Alliance. Crossmen had a great corps that year as well. But it was clearly Cadets' year IMO.

Was this the first year without ticks?? Scores bounced all over the place. Great corps that never made finals that year - The Knights and Alliance. Crossmen had a great corps that year as well. But it was clearly Cadets' year IMO.

It actually was the last year with ticks.

There were some early-season DCM shows w/ partial panels - max score was somewhere in the 80's- that was part of reason for bounce.

And 84....AND 85!!! of all the years to march BD, he had to make it the Garfield 3-peat years!!

And re your food truck....had you marched 84, we would've fed you going into Canada after a raidned out show in Michigan!

My sister marched that year in the guard. She told me about that. Said she never had such good Beef Stroganoff. :ph34r:

That the kids in Cadets were practically in a feeding frenzy fighting over all your left overs. :help:

It was GREATLY appreciated by the members.

It actually was the last year with ticks.

There were some early-season DCM shows w/ partial panels - max score was somewhere in the 80's- that was part of reason for bounce.

It was the last year of ticks, but only for percussion and M&M, as they called way back then. Brass had moved to two performance judges, field (11 points) and ensemble (14 points).

My sister marched that year in the guard. She told me about that. Said she never had such good Beef Stroganoff. :help:

That the kids in Cadets were practically in a feeding frenzy fighting over all your left overs. :throwupen:

It was GREATLY appreciated by the members.

And teh members of 27th and Freelancers, as I recall...

Gotta tell ya, tho...the strog was our worst meal....that's WHY there were leftovers to give away in teh first place!

And by the way....tell your sister the same thing I tell Dave Fowler from teh 84 cymbal line....SHE'S GOT MY RING!!!

HEH :ph34r: