Compiliation of 2008 Programs, Descriptions and Repertoires

The piece you are calling, "2001," is actually:

Also Sprach Zarathustra, Op. 30: Prelude (Sonnenaufgang)

YUP

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although its length in comparison to the other corps' descriptions, this is what was posted on the Colts website recently:

"Opening with the sounds of syncopated, rush hour traffic, a frantic percussive climax is suddenly stilled by Cole Porter’s bittersweet, sunset masterpiece, Night and Day. The romance of moon and sun, dusk and twilight, are captured in this soaring and memorable melody.

Traffic appears again, this time as taxis dart and weave through the bustle of the new night. It’s “curtain time” in Times Square. Who better to capture the sights and sounds of New York City than Leonard Bernstein, with works for the stage, from Fancy Free, and West Side Story, to On The Town. Heard as an urban montage, his jagged rhythms and fiery dances play out in every hot corner and cool alley of the city night.

At last, midnight casts its romantic spell. Every glamorous penthouse and late night carriage ride promises the thrill of an Unexpected Song, the Andrew Lloyd Weber fable of loneliness, inspiration, and discovery.

In the quiet of 3 a.m., a shock of sound rumbles down the street, violating the city’s stillness, tires squealing with danger. The night moves on with its angular shadows under looming bridges, harsh street lit corners, and the sound of distant sirens. It is the haunting impact of Miklos Rozsa’s Spellbound Concerto, revealing the tension of the darkest hours, building hypnotically and dramatically through the night, to the dawn of a new day."

Although its length in comparison to the other corps' descriptions, this is what was posted on the Colts website recently:

"Opening with the sounds of syncopated, rush hour traffic, a frantic percussive climax is suddenly stilled by Cole Porter’s bittersweet, sunset masterpiece, Night and Day. The romance of moon and sun, dusk and twilight, are captured in this soaring and memorable melody.

Traffic appears again, this time as taxis dart and weave through the bustle of the new night. It’s “curtain time” in Times Square. Who better to capture the sights and sounds of New York City than Leonard Bernstein, with works for the stage, from Fancy Free, and West Side Story, to On The Town. Heard as an urban montage, his jagged rhythms and fiery dances play out in every hot corner and cool alley of the city night.

At last, midnight casts its romantic spell. Every glamorous penthouse and late night carriage ride promises the thrill of an Unexpected Song, the Andrew Lloyd Weber fable of loneliness, inspiration, and discovery.

In the quiet of 3 a.m., a shock of sound rumbles down the street, violating the city’s stillness, tires squealing with danger. The night moves on with its angular shadows under looming bridges, harsh street lit corners, and the sound of distant sirens. It is the haunting impact of Miklos Rozsa’s Spellbound Concerto, revealing the tension of the darkest hours, building hypnotically and dramatically through the night, to the dawn of a new day."

Thanks, I'll add it. I looked on their web site and couldn't find anything but an announcement from Nov 20,2007, which didn't really provide much info. If you can send the link, I'll add that too. THanks!

Edit: OK - see if that is correct now. Their show sounds very good - evokes images of that lovely painting of a city in the signature line of the resident artist here on DCP. (Jeff somebody?) *Really* nice painting BTW.

Edit#2: Found the link finally.

Edited by JustABandMom

Thanks, I'll add it. I looked on their web site and couldn't find anything but an announcement from Nov 20,2007, which didn't really provide much info. If you can send the link, I'll add that too. THanks!

Edit: OK - see if that is correct now. Their show sounds very good - evokes images of that lovely painting of a city in the signature line of the resident artist here on DCP. (Jeff somebody?) *Really* nice painting BTW.

Band Mom

Thanks. Very useful post!

Band Mom

Thanks. Very useful post!

Thanks. After reading some of these great show write-ups, I can almost taste the season! It sounds like it's really going to be a good season this year.

:tongue:

I was hoping to find this thread on here today.

Got tix for the Walnut show on 6/28 in the mail yesterday.

This info just gets my tail wagging.

Probably going to have to attend some shows on the internet just to see everyone.

Thanks for all the work you put into this compilation.

• 3 weeks later...