DCA JUDGE A COMEDY ACT

Folks:

I'm proud to pass along this bit of Buccaneers Alumni news, courtesy of our own Fred Windish. Enjoy!

DCA Judge a Comedy Act

Gotcha! No doubt some of you think they’re ALL jokers, but this one’s for real. Longtime marching music performer and adjudicator, Thomas Brown, has embarked on a new career, stand-up comic. This Reading, PA native and Buccaneers Hall of Famer now living in Phoenix , Arizona made his stage debut recently at The Comedy Spot in Scottsdale.

“Looking at it from a golf perspective, I believe I shot an even round. When you’re out there on that stage, it’s you all by yourself, there’s no other team member to pick up the slack,” said Brown. “That night, my jokes were working and I received laughs everywhere I expected to receive them.”

Thomas began his Reading Buccaneers career in 1970 as a member of the color guard. Later years found him as percussionist. He’s been a marching tech for numerous high school bands and drum corps, a visual judge for Cavalcade of Bands, National Judges Association, Mid–Atlantic Judges Association, USSBA, and most recently, Drum Corps Associates.

Thomas considers his role as Assistant Drum Major for the 1979 DCA Champion Reading Buccaneers to be a highlight of his marching arts career.

“Audiences at comedy clubs remind me of Philadelphia sports fans. If they don’t like you, you’ll know it! Thankfully, this gig went well.”

Brown, a tall man, maybe six-four, admits “ I’m glad I have a full-time job (technology) and can look at this comedy venture as something for fun, and to say I did it.” He added, “I have no plans to be a starving comic, yet right now, I’m having a ball with this.”

Brown remains active instructing and judging throughout the Southwest. He regrets his DCA opportunities are now limited by distance. “ I have a goal to come back to Reading and perform at the Comedy Outlet in Wyomissing. I truly believe I’m on the way to reaching that one for sure.”

Note to Jim Cardeneo and the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame cruise, DCI corporate sponsors, corps banquet committees, etc., catch this act on the way up. Contact Thomas Brown at tabvisual@cox.net.

Unlike Rodney Dangerfield (Jacob Cohen) and Joan Rivers (Joan Molinsky), this is one aspiring entertainer whose given name should work just fine.

And, hey . . . he’s one of us, he’s drum corps!

Hats off to Thomas.... that is very cool!

I did a standup gig at a club in NYC in the late 1980's as part of a class I was taking. Somewhere I have a video of that. I'm not quite sure I want to take another look at it. :tongue:

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Hats off to Thomas.... that is very cool!

I did a standup gig at a club in NYC in the late 1980's as part of a class I was taking. Somewhere I have a video of that. I'm not quite sure I want to take another look at it. :smile:

Fran

YEAH,I GAVE THAT A SHOT,AS WELL! SOME PEOPLE WILL DO ANYTHING TO GET OUT OF WORK! :tongue:

lol (pardon the pun)

Tom is a big man... I'd laugh out of fear...

just kidding... what a great "hobby" We all miss him and wish him well...

and yes, Tom should contact Bob Cardaneo (not Jim) and find out who to contact at the cruise lines... hey, maybe he can at least get a free week out of them... in return for a couple of performances... I should warn Tom - THAT would be a tough audience...

I was on the HOF cruise with all the greats... the orchestra trumpet man was - shall I be kind???? NO! He sucked... There were 50 guys in the audience at least who could play him into retirement... and I must say, we were unforgiving... especially Truman Crawford who I thought was going to draft the kid into the Marines just to make sure he never touched a trumpet again...

We have now added this story to the front page of the Buccaneers corps web site, complete with a photo of Mr. Brown onstage!

Edited by TomMoore

Whoops!

Thanks, Tom Peashey. BOB Cardeneo it is! My apologies to Bob. Bob is an excellent DCA brass coordinator and travel agent (CruiseOne). Someone I am pleased to have worked with. This was a hasty, gin-soaked effort. Mostly good.

In any case, I have known Thomas Brown for almost 40 years. He's a great guy, well-liked across the country. Something tells me, Thomas Brown WILL advance in this new arena.

Let's wish him well!

:tongue:

he is one funny dude. I remember him judging on the field, seeing me, laughing at me trying to do this body pose....dropped his recorder to his side and said "man i gotta teach you graceful"

You are correct..........Tom IS a tall brown man.

Joe 'Short Mocha'

I would love to catch his act. Tom is such a "Gentle"man that I can't imagine him as a foul mouth comedian... I'm guessing he is - as always - a class act...

Yes, have Bob line Mr. Brown up for a HoF cruise.

I was part of an improv troupe in St. Louis, then did some improv nights at a Ft. Worth club. Fun times but talk about stress!!! Playing my horn or corps announcing is so much easier.