Patsy Bonfiglio - Drum Corps First Lady

It is with great sadness and grief to inform the 27th Lancer family and friends; as well as the drum corps world, of a great loss. Mrs. Patsy Bonfiglio, wife of George Bonfiglio, the mother and one of the founders of the 27th Lancers, slipped away into Jesus' arms, at 1:45 am this morning at the Beth Israel Hospital in Boston. She went while sleeping and is now at peace with our Lord Jesus Christ. The details of the wake will be posted as soon as arrangements have been made.

Edited by Lancerlady

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rest in Peace Patsy. You will be missed. My condolences to George B and to the rest of your family. I wase part of the Lancer family for only 2 years but have what seems like many more years of great memories.

Thank you Steph. Our most heartfelt condolences to George, the Bonfiglio family and all of the 27th Lancers family

J

Edited by Jimbalaya

Truly somebody admired and loved by all who knew her. She was a remarkable woman, and mother to the hundreds of members of the 27th Lancers. The wake will most likely be at the Vertuccio Funeral Home on Broadway Revere.

Thank you Stephanie for the announcement. This is a very sad day for me as it was 15 years ago on May 29, 1993 that I lost my father. I feel as though I have now lost my second mother.

Rest in Peace, dear Patsy.

I got an email for George B Jr this morning on his mother's passing. This is very sad news.

God bless the Bonfiglio clan .

John

Patsy Bonfiglio, the matriarch of the 27th Lancers, was a positive influence on everyone she ever met. It was HER rule that the front door at 35 So. Cambridge Street never be locked, because one us "kids" might be stopping by.

I anticipate there will be many postings here of former members, staff and aquaintances who will share their favorite Patsy stories, because everyone who ever met our "1st Lady" has many fond memories of her. Many of these quick stories will be humorous. Others will be loving and respectful. Above all, there will be hundreds of fond personal memories of a lady who is loved by everyone.

I invite anyone who has a fond memory of Patsy, to post it here. Let's share with the rest of DCP and the poor folks who never had the joy of meeting Patsy, to learn about and share what it was like to know the lady!

I'll go First.......

I joined the 27th Lancers at the ripe old age of (14) back in 1973. We had a huge corps that winter and were forced to buy extra uniform parts. Patsy gave me a brand new 27th Starburst for my aussie hat before our first performance. I marched (7) years, went thru 3-or-4 hats, but MY starburst travelled with me.

When I aged out in 79, I removed my starburst and handed over to management. It was our custom to have your starburst mounted on your age-out plaque. My 7-year old starburst was a mess with dents and chipped paint. I told Patty Poole that I wanted it untouched and mounted "As Is". Patty said; "This is a disgrace! This can't be put on your plaque", so I appealed to Patsy. I told Patsy that the damaged starburst was my collection of 7-years of "Battle Scars"

This dent came from an errant flag exchange at the Manning Bowl show.

That one came from a baritone player who crashed into me in Bayonne.

This piece of chipped paint came from a different flag at Ypsilanti.

Patsy looked at Patty, smiled, and said; "Let Terry have his battle scars on his plaque!" I said; "Thank You, Patsy!"

Leaving for work today, the last thing I did was to look at that plaque, Battle Scars and all, on my living room wall, say a quick prayer, and say; "Thank You Patsy!" again!

RIP Patsy...The Bonfiglio family enhanced the lives of many., not just the FFMs of 27th

RIP Patsy...The Bonfiglio family enhanced the lives of many., not just the FFMs of 27th

Truer words were never spoken!

As you can see by my avatar, Mrs. B. loved children. This was her first meeting of my miracle son Ryan. He took to her immediately even in his young age. It was his first plane trip, and she gave him his first ice cream at this place in town that the dairy was so fresh they had cows in the back. I'm sure you locals probably know what I'm talking about. Every time I talked to her she always asked about my son Ryan.

My heart is breaking with grief but I know for sure she is with her beloved Darlene and they are angels now watching over us... all of her kids. She opened up her home to me as an out of Stater and I loved every minute of staying there. She spoiled us all so bad but in a good way. She taught me how to make italian spaghetti and meatballs and I taught her about Southern cuisine such as Fried Chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy. I remember she asked "What do you do with the gravy"? :thumbup: I said "You put it on the potatoes ma".

So many different memories...I don't know where to begin.

We always called her "Ma" no matter where we were from.

I will miss you "Ma". :tongue: