Patsy Bonfiglio - Drum Corps First Lady

My sincere condolences to the Bonfiglio family and all 27th Lancers around the world.

Heaven has gained an angel.

Patsy, may the angels lead you into Paradise. May the martyrs come to welcome you, and take you to the holy city...the new and eternal Jerusalem!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patsy and the Bongfiglio family have been a great part of my life and now my daughter's life through drum corps.

I will always remember her kindness and the good nature she seemed to have with everyone she met.

She was a very dear lady indeed.

Thank you Patsy and all the Bonfiglio and Lancer extended family.

Ty aka Tyrone Parker

27th Lancers 1976-1982

I was offline yesterday and just saw the news this morning.

My prayers and condolences are with Denise and all of the Bonfiglio and Lancer families.

Thank you, Patsy for all that you and George did for the 27th Lancers and this incredible activity. Your giving truly made a difference in the world and will never be forgotten.

Edited by StarContra4-85

Obviously it's sad when anyone dies, but when it's someone who has had such a huge impact on so many people it's particularly sad. I never met her, but I too have "heard of her" for years and years. And to hear what she did for the corps and for the members reminds me of how great this activity CAN be. No, she didn't revolutionize drill design. No, she wasn't a great horn instructor. No, she didn't write the most awesome drum book you've ever heard. What she DID do was love kids. And you can't beat that.

Sad day...but a happy one, too, strangely, as we are reminded (hopefully) of what REALLY matters in this activity and why all of us are a "peculiar people".

I am so sorry for all of your loss. From reading this thread i can see how many people loved her and in turn, she loved.

Obviously it's sad when anyone dies, but when it's someone who has had such a huge impact on so many people it's particularly sad. I never met her, but I too have "heard of her" for years and years. And to hear what she did for the corps and for the members reminds me of how great this activity CAN be. No, she didn't revolutionize drill design. No, she wasn't a great horn instructor. No, she didn't write the most awesome drum book you've ever heard. What she DID do was love kids. And you can't beat that.

Sad day...but a happy one, too, strangely, as we are reminded (hopefully) of what REALLY matters in this activity and why all of us are a "peculiar people".

Well spoken! :tongue:

All drum corps are like families for sure. But some are run like programs, and a small handfull, like 27, were literally run like a family. That house on Cambridge street had to be the most unique thing I ever experianced in my life. EVERYTHING came out of there. Up until 1979, you even got your uniforms there!

And after all the 19 years of marching and the 20 years after folding, both George and Patsy could still tell you at least one thing about every kid who was ever apart of the 27th Lancers.

Cops coming to the door with kids who needed to get off the streets, making uniforms, cooking the meals, making the flags, changing the flags. Anything else? Certainly! Anything I have missed, she did!

And when my wife and I met up with the B's in Denver for the 2004 finals, Patsy had the best advice, as always, when I asked where we should drive to get up into the Rockies. "Estes Pahk" she said twice, patting her hand on mine. My wife and I went through Estes Park and drove through Gods wonderland!

To borrow a phrase I have heard recently, "Earth is poorer and Heaven is richer!"

Thank you Ma!

Not to turn this into a then vs. now thread but you've touched on one of the real changes in the activity over the last 30 years now.

In the era you, Stephanie, and I marched, being part of a corps was like being part of the director's family. I remember watching the telecast of the last episode of the M*A*S*H series over at my corps director's house. His wife, their two kids, and at least 12-15 corps members, staff members, and recent age-outs were there. A monumental moment in the history of Pop Culture and we instinctively gathered as an extended corps family.....it was about sharing the moment and certainly not remembering what became of Hawkeye because with 20-some people in one room it's more a drum corps bull session than anything!

Beyond this, the doors of this man's house were always open to me when needed. I slept on his floor, stuffed envelopes for various corps fundraisers, and shared meals at the table through three separate houses in two separate states and with two different corps. Never, ever, can I remember anything from this time to make me feel like I was anything other than an honored member of the family. That's taking the pride of what we accomplished on the field and going to a new level......taking it home with us. It was family and it was personal.

That George and Patsy Bonfiglio were icons in an era when drum corps meant this much to us, her passing is a sad reminder that some things are not as good as they once were and that those of us who can remember those times are growing still farther from them ourselves......a little more every day. Again, condolences to all that were 'family'.......eithr by relation or by 27th Lancer.

Edited by notelvis

Well it was evident how many people truly loved her. I have never seen so many people at a funeral/wake.

I just got in from Boston. It has been a very hard past few days but the Lancer family has been there comforting each other throughout this week.

I just want to say thank you to all who sent flowers and cards. I will go into more detail tomorrow when I've had some sleep but I just want to say thank you for all your prayers and condolences. It really means alot to the extended Lancer family.

It's situations like this when you see just how much the drum corps family really means.

Please don't ever forget that.