Spartans public performance

Spent 4 hours at Spartan practice. 7 snares, 3 qints ,5 bass, 4 cymbals, 6 frontline percussion, four trumpets, four mellos, 3 baris, 1 euph, 2 tubas, 8 cg (4 present). Show based around percussive elements, well written and designed program. Young corps and staff all with a large amount of good work ethic, dedication and belief in the corps. Reminded me of the Div III Manderins who were always high quality with a small group. I think they will do well as the season progresses.

Dave C

RI Royal Lancers 62-69- (straight bari, bass bari then finally Contra)

RI Matadors 69-87, Reunion 99, 2007 Brass ensemble (Contra)

RI Generations 1995-2001 (Contra)

Proud Dad of Chris Correia (Renegades front line percussion arranger/instructor) &

Peter Correia (percussion visual tech at Spirit) both alumni of Spartans

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent 4 hours at Spartan practice. 7 snares, 3 qints ,5 bass, 4 cymbals, 6 frontline percussion, four trumpets, four mellos, 3 baris, 1 euph, 2 tubas, 8 cg (4 present). Show based around percussive elements, well written and designed program. Young corps and staff all with a large amount of good work ethic, dedication and belief in the corps. Reminded me of the Div III Manderins who were always high quality with a small group. I think they will do well as the season progresses.

Dave C

RI Royal Lancers 62-69- (straight bari, bass bari then finally Contra)

RI Matadors 69-87, Reunion 99, 2007 Brass ensemble (Contra)

RI Generations 1995-2001 (Contra)

Proud Dad of Chris Correia (Renegades front line percussion arranger/instructor) &

Peter Correia (percussion visual tech at Spirit) both alumni of Spartans

19 person battery vs. 14 person horn line.... It would have been tough for even those Manderin teams to balance that, especially in todays judging climate.

True, but the program is constructed in such a way that a reasonable balance is achieved. Again the emphasis in on the percussive elements which are the strength of the corps. How it works with the judges and the fans will have to wait for 2 weeks when they get on the field in New London CT.

Dave C

True, but the program is constructed in such a way that a reasonable balance is achieved. Again the emphasis in on the percussive elements which are the strength of the corps. How it works with the judges and the fans will have to wait for 2 weeks when they get on the field in New London CT.

Dave C

In other words, the horn players barely play.

Dave C

and one more thing....if the parade photo is any indication....they will score visually better if they do a stand still.

truth

show me a drum corps now and days that does stay in step during a parade. It's just not something that is taken as seriously as it had back in the days. Even the DCI honor band that did a Disney World performance a couple years back didn't really look that good from a visual standpoint.

Wait until they hit the field, then judge them.

Spartan's director is on Friday's Field Pass... gives numbers, budget info, and other stuff... it's a good listen.

show me a drum corps now and days that does stay in step during a parade. It's just not something that is taken as seriously as it had back in the days. Even the DCI honor band that did a Disney World performance a couple years back didn't really look that good from a visual standpoint.

Wait until they hit the field, then judge them.

Check out pics from Phantom Regiment from their recent Memorial Day parade.

enough said.

It can be done....that's all I'm saying. You have to want it. You have to also teach people to care.