Spartans public performance

Peter LaFlamme may have also side stepped the reason as to why they are so small this year. He cited the members winning a gold medal and then moving on as well as the cost for the drum corps as to why they are going to be "60 members, give or take a few" rather than the 100+ they have been in recent years.

I heard many rumours involving staff leaving and taking the members? Can anyone from spartans verify if this is true? Is there a new staff/design team in Naushua?

Seems like the reasons for the corps being under 60 is NONE of anyone's business...otherwise there'd be a lot of info on it. Would you publically announce stuff like that? I doubt it. Most of the Staff went to the Citations, but it looks like half of them are still teaching there. Speaking of, how are they doing in the parades? Any blackmail photos of them? It's true that pics don't lie, but not all pics represent how groups look all the time. That pic of Spartans was a low-shot.

BTW, is someone SERIOUSLY comparing the Spartans (or MOST corps, even) to the Phantom Regiment? That's just ridiculous. Also, accusing them of not caring because of a lousy photo? That's even more ridiculous. If the group is as small as everyone is saying, I think the members who ARE there care a whole hell of a lot.

-T

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like the reasons for the corps being under 60 is NONE of anyone's business...otherwise there'd be a lot of info on it. Would you publically announce stuff like that? I doubt it. Most of the Staff went to the Citations, but it looks like half of them are still teaching there. Speaking of, how are they doing in the parades? Any blackmail photos of them? It's true that pics don't lie, but not all pics represent how groups look all the time. That pic of Spartans was a low-shot.

BTW, is someone SERIOUSLY comparing the Spartans (or MOST corps, even) to the Phantom Regiment? That's just ridiculous. Also, accusing them of not caring because of a lousy photo? That's even more ridiculous. If the group is as small as everyone is saying, I think the members who ARE there care a whole hell of a lot.

-T

No one was comparing Spartans to Regiment. The poster said "corps don't care about parades anymore." I paraphrase, but that was the sentiment. The corps I worked with ALWAYS attempted to look good in a parade, no matter what. The staff cared, the volunteers cared and the members were (in some cases) forced to care.

Parades and other local performances were PR, Marketing and Recruiting all in one. It was one of the best ways to look good in front of the home folks. They seldom saw us during the long season on the road.

In short, the Spartans did not look good in the photo from their parade. The Regiment looked awesome. I can only judge on the evidence at hand.

This reminds me of the corps who lays an egg in a show and then their staff claims to the judges how good they were the night before.

The best thing the Spartan folks should take from this is they have a ton of room for improvement. The best thing to do with negatives, guys like me who point out what's wrong....is to prove us wrong. Make us eat our words. Show up and make us look silly.

Check out pics from Phantom Regiment from their recent Memorial Day parade.

enough said.

It can be done....that's all I'm saying. You have to want it. You have to also teach people to care.

Actually, in another picture of Regiment from that same article, there is some very-much-out-of-stepness.

g1a9132b488448326228ae3c28b5cdcf92845ba1e5ea6c0.jpg

Man Phantom picked an odd uni for Spartacus.

Aww they're trying :ninja:. I was honestly going to do something like this because these forums lack humour. So many people take both themselves and events too seriously! They're good for stirring things up though, even got me to register just to speak my mind. Anyway, kudos for trying to lighten things up!

-T

do any of you even realize just how young the spartans are this year? I just talked to a guy I know who has a daughter marching with them and he said most of them are around 14-16 years old. If I can remember that far back when I started marching, I had two left feet.

I have spoken in defense about this corps a little bit this year because it seems like they have been under a microscope almost as much as George Hopkins' rule proposals. :P But I feel that there's a lot of anger towards either the administrative side of the corps or certain people on staff, however rather than take it out on them we are instead bashing these "kids" for being out of step in a parade as if it was a big deal and then accusing staff of being careless. wow! I won't mention where I first marched, but we couldn't march out of a wet paper bag in early June. (even in a parade) :) I don't even understand the fuss here. They are just kids. Even if they marched perfectly in step, someone might comment on stick heights being off or someone's horn being down a little. lol it's not that big of a deal.

I don't think I'll even get to see them this year seeing that they are only doing shows way out in the east/northeast. But I hope they do well. I hope ALL of the corps do well. I have been a supporter of drum corps since I started in 1988 and I will try my best to see their finals in August. My hotel is in Indianapolis so I should be able to catch them.

Just as a heads up, I didn't posted that picture of Spartans to "blackmail" them, make them look bad, or start a discussion on how they're out of step. I put up the picture to start a healthy discussion on the uniform additions/adjustments.

I recently stopped by a Spartans rehearsal, and sure...they're very young. Maybe they don't look great marching, or they won't have the best hornline out there. The biggest thing I brought away was that the kids were putting their all into it. Every person who has ever marched before knows that drive, effort, and heart make a corps-not their ability level. When I marched, it wasn't because of a silly 12 minute show-I marched because of everything that went into making that show. What Spartans place this year doesn't matter...what matters is that the young men and women marching this year learn the lessons taught by drum corps: "Respect, Responsibility, and Commitment". I believe that the organization will do it's best to instill those values in the members as they do every year, and I wish them the very best for this summer.

What Spartans place this year doesn't matter...what matters is that the young men and women marching this year learn the lessons taught by drum corps: "Respect, Responsibility, and Commitment". I believe that the organization will do it's best to instill those values in the members as they do every year, and I wish them the very best for this summer.

If you really believed that, you would have went back this year. See the part about "commitment".

-T

First off - I was just curious and asking a simple question. Your reasoning would make sense as to why the Citations have tripled in size this year.

Secondly and most importantly - read all other posts carefully. I never posted any photos of the Spartans and wasn't anywhere near taking a "low-shot" at the Spartans. If you are going to unleash on someone, make sure you have the right person.

By the tone of your email, it's clear you are affiliated with the Spartans in some way...that's great! I hope the Spartans have an amazing summer on the road.

If you really believed that, you would have went back this year. See the part about "commitment".

Thats not exactly always an option. Have you ever heard of gas prices? Theres a lot of reasons why a person wouldnt march. TO accuse someone of not marching because they are not "committed enough" after how many seasons and how many medals they have marched, i must say you have some thinking problems.