BOSTON 2000

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really loved BAC and thought on performance/emotion alone they could have won it that night. Then Cadets hit the field, and I thought "No way, Jose". What a great couple of performances!!!!! I show Boston's and Cadet's shows to newbies all the time, and have made a few converts of people who thought we were all about college band half-time shows.

I never get tired of Con Te Partiro (the ballad), I think it was arranged to be as great as it could be. While I'm not normally a fan of singing on the field (this goes beyond electronics), I have no problem with it when it is done that well. It's a great example of how a slightly more simple show can be programed to light up the audience.

I wasn't at finals that year, but I'd have to imagine that BAC had some competition from the Cadets' 'Anything you can do, I can do better' segment as far as crowd response.

This is a wonderful thread. Everything positive that has been said about BAC is absolutely true. And I can add at least another three or four chapters of praise.

My introduction to BAC 2000 was at their afternoon rehearsal before Allentown at a school yard three blocks from the field. This rehearsal was ELECTRIC!

First, we arrived just in time to watch the kids gather under a huge shade tree and rehearse the "singing part" of the ballad. They tried it at least three different ways (mainly switching between straight "humming" and the actual words) trying to determine which version projected most effectively. For that evening "words" won out.

Then we watched and listened as they warmed up the bugles and spent ten minutes (at least) on the opening soprano solo with the staff debating exactly where (and how) the soloist should breath to most effectively deliver the sound from the back right corner of the field and evoke the "mood" in the audience.

When they finally hit the drill field and we watched the opening from the sideline we could tell immediately we were seeing an "all-time-classic" opening. We looked around for a set of stairs, or some bleachers, or even a tree we could climb to get the full effect. Seeing weren't any in the area we were very glad we had opted for seats five rows from the top for the night show.

And the guard! On the surface, their show looked "simple" at first. But when you watch the full show you can see that everything they did was designed to compliment (as well as complement) the show. Their uniforms and their "weapons work" for sure but especially their choreography. Whether you were standing ten feet from them on the sideline at rehearsal or up in the 43rd row of the original Burney Crum Stadium you could tell these girls were into this show every moment.

That night the Allentown crowd loved them. I thought it was the most unique, "original" and especially the most emotional show since Phantom Regiment's New World Symphony in 1989. We have a group of ten drum corps fans that have been attending either DCI Finals or the northern or mid-west "regional" every year since 1981 in Montreal (and ten of us will be in Allentown again in 2008) so of course we already had our prime seats for finals in Washington. But after seeing BAC that evening we got on the phone to order more and insist that more of our friends just had to come and see this corps "live". Even though their seats were on the twenty about 15 rows up the experience is something they still talk about (and thank us for) today.

But here's the real kicker! Many of you will remember that in 2000, PBS was still broadcasting the top five "live" on Saturday night. So to make it onto TV, BAC obviously needed to finish fifth or better on Friday. Now THAT imho is the show that should have been on the DVD. Saturday's show was gorgeous - but Friday's was the classic for the ages.

Every note and every move was amazing. There was no doubt in anyone's mind that that performance was going to get them onto TV. On Saturday night, there was about a ten minute pause before Boston came on the field so the timing would be right for the PBS broadcast. If you were in the stands that night I'm sure you will agree that the applause and cheering that erupted when BAC came on the field to kick-off the "live" performance was just about the loudest ever heard for a corps before they have played a single note.

Why? Well if your only reference is the 2000 Finals DVD you will still love their show. However, some might quibble about the scoring and think they could have been sixth or maybe even seventh on the night. But if you were there for the Friday show, that is the one most fans will remember forever.

And you know what is most amazing? I can still hum every note of their show. Every "song" is actually a song. Every drill move and guard move enhances the music and adds to my enjoyment but I can listen to my CD and picture in my mind what's happening on the field. Eight years on this show is still one of my favorites.

And you know what is most amazing? I can still hum every note of their show. Every "song" is actually a song. Every drill move and guard move enhances the music and adds to my enjoyment but I can listen to my CD and picture in my mind what's happening on the field. Eight years on this show is still one of my favorites.

Should be a requirement for every single show.

Should be a requirement for every single show.

Wait til you get a load of 'em this year..... :tongue:

Wait til you get a load of 'em this year..... :hehe:

I know, I'm already freaking out about what I heard in the Field pass. The Matrix closer is bad***. :tongue:

Edited by Hrothgar15

This show was by no means that fan favorite that year. Ok, I'll admit I wasn't there, and BAC was awesome that year, but between We Are the Future and Niagara Falls, I really don't see Red being the fan favorite.

Also, I personally felt BAC edged out BK based on show design....BK's show was performed better, but was definitely not as crowd friendly. Either way though, 2000 is in my top two seasons to show people as their DCI introduction (the other is 2003).

To say that Red wasn't the Fan Favorite is a crock. It won the Spirit of Disney award and was picked to be in the FIRST movie theater thing there, I forget what its called. I might feel this way cause it was my ageout show, but I also know the facts. Crowd on their feet from the moment the pit pulled onto the field after the intermission until we left the field after the show. Spirit of Disney Award that year, Cadets played Disney Music too, I thought they would take it home. And being picked by the fans to be on the DVD and played in the theater.

All that aside, thanks for all the kind words, I know all the members from that year love to hear about the fans loving the show. A lot of us are still really good friends and talk about how wonderful you all were to us.

The 2008 Boston Crusaders are also going to be sweet. I wish them all a great season. can't wait to see you! EAT EM' UP!