Which Version is better?

Which Version is better?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. SCV 1988 or 1989???

• 1988 ( Solos are better )
    • 1989 ( I love the masks )

i'm loving the music in both, i think '88 was a better year, but '89 really stuck and was a really great show, i just feel sorry everytime i see the face of that guy who screws the solos. overall the closer in '89 makes me want to march even more...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted for 88' it was more passionate and just artistry on the field. 89' was powerfull and agressive the final push either year was just amazing! I have to agree though 89' was a "sorry for last year have this one on us" I love SCV but Phantom shoulda had'em!

89 came across as forced, as in "well ###### maybe this year it will win". plus 88, being new, had a passion 89 didn't

Hey guys ...

I LOVE '89 compared to '88, however the championship title from that year might bias my opinion.

One thing, whenever i see a vid of '89 with the corps wearing those Phantom of the Opera masks, I can't help but think how gross and sweaty it must have gotten under those things!!!

Were those worn in rehearsals too? What do you do with a Phantom mask you've been wearing all season while sweating like a polar bear in the Sahara? Wash it with your dinner tray? Wear it through the shower before the show?

I wonder if they were encouraged to clean them if they could. Unfortunately I don't think they had my Boo Jessica Simpson and her Proactiv back in '89 to help treat the ensuing skin conditions! Eeek!!!

Okay...here's the observations of someone that marched BOTH shows:

1988 was a memorable rookie year for me. The ghosts of 1987 were all around us, the buzz of doing POTO was intense, the staff spent all season trying to get us to understand the emotions of our production, our noticably weak hornline made strides all season, making the corps disappear finals week, playing in a champion drumline, and, of course, that electric finals performance!

1989 was different on so many levels. I joined in mid-season to fill a tenor spot so I had the pleasure of seeing the corps perform prior to actually marching the show. When I saw the opening sequence of the show up to the four-count turn and subsequent atomic blast, I was picking up my body parts afterwards. I talked with Ralph Hardimon that night and he invited me to fill that spot. I went home thinking, "They're gonna win DCI, they're gonna win DCI!" The next day I was at rehearsal and the rest, as they say, is history.

About the show itself:

1989 was a leaner, meaner version of the Phantom production. It was definitely better suited for a "power corps," which we certainly had that year. The opener was designed to grab the crowd's attention right off the bat, as opposed to developing a mood as in 1988. One of the verses of "Masquerade" was cut, which I felt was a good edit. "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" remained unchanged for the most part. The complete reworking of "Track Down This Murderer" to include "Don Juan Triumphant" was a major upgrade. We enjoyed having a percussion feature, which opened in 7/8 and then alternated every measure between 7/8 and 9/16, to which we marched the asymetric patterns - definitely not easy at first. "Music of the Night" basically remained the same - why mess with a perfect closer?

I think both versions of the production were appropriately suited for the style of the corps in each given year. I loved both versions for different reasons but would probably lean towards 1989 as my favorite of the two. It took the elegance of 1988 and mixed in a hearty helping of good ol' "in your face" drum corps.

Oh yeah...those masks got to be pretty nasty by the end of tour. The REAL fun was having boiling-hot mesh placed on your face to create the basic shape of the mask, to which strips of gauze soaked in plaster-of-paris were applied. Some unfortunate folks had to have a second mask made mid-season! I made SURE to dry mine after every show - once was enough for me!

Oh yeah...those masks got to be pretty nasty by the end of tour. The REAL fun was having boiling-hot mesh placed on your face to create the basic shape of the mask, to which strips of gauze soaked in plaster-of-paris were applied. Some unfortunate folks had to have a second mask made mid-season! I made SURE to dry mine after every show - once was enough for me!

haha that's some cool info i didn't know =)

oh yea *89 for me*

Definitely, 1988 SCV wins this shootout.

I feel the passion of '88 in the bookends of the show much better. From my first moment of seeing the push in the finale, I got goosebumps and still do. With '89, not so much. There are a couple of moments in the '89 brass performance where they go over the edge on their fff's. Yes, the hole in '89 bothers me, too.

Maybe you could say that the '89 corps and show benefitted from the experience gained in '88. Since a lot of the show was a holdover, the SCV staff got to tweak and perfect it. So, even if you lean toward '89, it was better for having been done the year before.

Don't forget, '88 SCV was 0.2 away from winning, and '89 was only 0.4 over 2nd. Madison winning in '88 is probably one of the biggest "upsets" (surprises?) in DCI history, and the race was a tight, 4-way split. DCI 1989 was a 2-corps, run-away duel. It gets hard to separate the shows from those contexts.

Interestingly, SCV's was not my favorite show from either year (but a strong 2nd each).