Tuba Manufacturing

All of the Jupiter talk got me thinkin'.

Why can't anyone make a tuba that...

1) is well-balanced like the Yamaha 3 Valve?

2) has a slip slide like the old DEG 2-valve G bugles?

3) doesn't cost as much as the 4-valve options out there?

4) sounds as good as the old King K-90s? (prolly has to be in G, that's why :tongue: )

Seriously, the Yamaha would be perfect if it had a left-hand controlled slip slide, that worked like a trombone slide (no kickers or extra valve tubing please!) The Yamaha has NO MECHANISM for real-time tempering. What a waste. But they're cheap! Woohoo!

All we need is enough tubing to get 123 valve combo down another quarter step...about 9 inches (**see boring note at end), so 4.5" folded. If they could make a slip slide that moved 4.5 inches, I'd never complain again, and 3 valve horns would be fine.

The balance of the Yamaha is so nice that it can be leveraged by the right hand and shoulder alone, leaving the left hand free to move this slide. How many tuba players have you seen dangle their left hands during horn arc or what not? It's basically not needed when the horn is in playing position.

Theoretically, this could be attached to the third valve slide tubing, since we only need it when 3rd valve is in use (and assumes 3rd valve is tuned to perfect G), but it would be more useful if it were on the main tuning slide, and had springs (like pro trombones in first position) to get those pesky 5th partials up.

Ideally, there would be a 4-valve model, and the slip-slide would only need to be about 2.25" (folded), but it would have to be on the main tubing, cuz 23 combo still needs an extra 1.25" (folded).

ANYONE! Feel free to steal my ideas and make lots of money. Heck, prolly none of them are new.

I JUST WANT A DAYUM MARCHING TUBA THAT'S IN TUNE! Sheesh.....

--Boring notes--

The 2nd valve on BBb tuba is approx 12" in length. The reason why we need 9" and not 1/2 of 12" for a quarter tone is that we're extending the entire horn (which is now in EE!) with 123.

If you insist on selling me on the Kind 1151, be prepared to tell me exactly how much tubing can be "called upon" and what the range is. Is it all or nothing?

Feel free to PM me, if you don't want to bore the entire community with this stuff.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4) sounds as good as the old King K-90s? (prolly has to be in G, that's why :tongue: )

With this much frustration, maybe think about taking up the flute?

Seriously, the Yamaha would be perfect if it had a left-hand controlled slip slide, that worked like a trombone slide (no kickers or extra valve tubing please!) The Yamaha has NO MECHANISM for real-time tempering. What a waste. But they're cheap! Woohoo!

All we need is enough tubing to get 123 valve combo down another quarter step...about 9 inches (**see boring note at end), so 4.5" folded. If they could make a slip slide that moved 4.5 inches, I'd never complain again, and 3 valve horns would be fine.

The balance of the Yamaha is so nice that it can be leveraged by the right hand and shoulder alone, leaving the left hand free to move this slide. How many tuba players have you seen dangle their left hands during horn arc or what not? It's basically not needed when the horn is in playing position.

Theoretically, this could be attached to the third valve slide tubing, since we only need it when 3rd valve is in use (and assumes 3rd valve is tuned to perfect G), but it would be more useful if it were on the main tuning slide, and had springs (like pro trombones in first position) to get those pesky 5th partials up.

Ideally, there would be a 4-valve model, and the slip-slide would only need to be about 2.25" (folded), but it would have to be on the main tubing, cuz 23 combo still needs an extra 1.25" (folded).

ANYONE! Feel free to steal my ideas and make lots of money. Heck, prolly none of them are new.

I JUST WANT A DAYUM MARCHING TUBA THAT'S IN TUNE! Sheesh.....

--Boring notes--

The 2nd valve on BBb tuba is approx 12" in length. The reason why we need 9" and not 1/2 of 12" for a quarter tone is that we're extending the entire horn (which is now in EE!) with 123.

If you insist on selling me on the Kind 1151, be prepared to tell me exactly how much tubing can be "called upon" and what the range is. Is it all or nothing?

Feel free to PM me, if you don't want to bore the entire community with this stuff.

Lip it all I say!

Real bugler's don't need no stinkin' valves :tongue:

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

You forgot to add the "no blind spot on the left hand side" feature.

I've played several of the newer models (Yamaha, Kanstul, King) and nothing has the feel or sound (tone, sonority) of the K90 that I marched with in Star. :tongue:

When I first got to the Marine D&B, we had Degs with the slip slide that we used for A-flats (treble clef). Nothing like the "PANK" when those slides went back in. If we had a passage with a lot of A-flats, we'd pull it out and finger the whole section a half-step up.

When we got new 2-valve Kanstuls, they instead added a rotor that takes the horn down a half-step, basically an extra second valve. If you ever get to see them in person, go take a look.

And while you're at it, please add a cup holder. :thumbup:

4) sounds as good as the old King K-90s? (prolly has to be in G, that's why :thumbup: )...

4) sounds as good as the old King K-90s? (prolly has to be in G, that's why :thumbup: )

You can actually lip those notes in tune. I use a 2V and can play it by lipping down. You have to use the half slide though. The 3Vs beside me still need to be lipped down, so the 1/3 combo is not in tune and the added turbulence/ stuffiness/ weight is just not worth it. A good player, especially on the contrabass tuba, is always doing that anyway! :thumbup:

Edited by BigDale