The Official 2008 Madison Scouts Discussion Thread

My 2008 MADISON SCOUTS year end review as a Fan, Alum., and Parent .

What a GREAT year for the Scouts ! I could tell from the first camp that this year was going to be way differant than 2007. Things were alot smoother, we seemed to have more of our ducks in a a row. A very high return of vets, more guy's came to try-out,and a staff that were ready to move forward. The BOD meeting seemed very focused and always very well ran. ( Not the sence of panic that sometimes came through the year before.) I attended BOD meetings at all the camps I attended this year and I am VERY pleased with our Board. Trust me when I say," The Madison Scouts are in very good hands ! " We have the right people there doing an fantastic job taking care of our corps ! :worthy:

I knew from the get-go that our design team had put together a super show this year. I have to admit that it kind of botherd me when I saw who our design team was this year. I was worried that we might end up being the "Blue Scouts". All my worry was in vain, our show was truly a great "Madison Scout " show !

Camps were for the most part very productive. I will mention one sore spot, for me anyway. I know things are differant these days. When I marched you did not miss camp unless you or a very close member of your family were dead. This year at a few camps attendance was just aweful. It is my belief that If we want to move to the next level we are going to have to fix this. We must come out of the gates next year alot further along in our program if we want to improve our end of the season product.

Everydays seemed to go very well. I can't put into words how PROUD I am of the Guys and STAFF for doing the right thing in Baraboo. The MEN AND WOMEN OF MADISON pitched in to help people who really needed it ! Thank You Men and Lady !

We came out for the season behind the 8-ball. With last years placement we went on very earily every night so our scores may have be affected some ? (wink-wink) We seemed to struggle finding ID. I was pretty worried after "Drums on". Every night I would sit in front of my computer and wait for reviews and ( yes) scores. We seemed to be going nowhere very fast. I would talk to my son almost every night and his spirits were good so that eased my pain some. I could not wait till I could get out on tour and see for myself exactly what was going on. Once Tracy and I got out there with them I was shocked ! These guy's had improved way more than what their scores were showing. It had been a week sence we had seen them in Madison and they did not even look like the same corps ! :smile: We got on tour in Louisville and by the time we got to Denver they were hitting on all cylinders ! But, we still were trying to find ourselves. Then came Dallas !!!

The stands went right up to the sidelines,so the crowd was close. Tracy and I were on the 50 and on the front row ! As these guy's came through the gate they were GLOWING ! The crowd went wild and none of us could take our eye's off them ! I knew we were in for a real show !!! From the time they came through the gate till the time they went out the other gate they commanded your attention ! The show was GREAT ! I knew in my heart we were back ! The corp had passed the crossroads of our 2 year journey !!! :drool::sad::sad::smile::drool::sad:

From that night on our season had changed. I'm sure if you ask any of the guy's they will tell you the same thing. From that point on they just kept improving leaps and bounds everyday all the way through finals.

Thanks BROTHERS for a FANTASTIC year and I can't wait to start it all over again !

Bill Leslie

MYNWA

GO SCOUTS !!!

I did not proff read this . :sad:

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Camps were for the most part very productive. I will mention one sore spot, for me anyway. I know things are differant these days. When I marched you did not miss camp unless you or a very close member of your family were dead. This year at a few camps attendance was just aweful. It is my belief that If we want to move to the next level we are going to have to fix this. We must come out of the gates next year alot further along in our program if we want to improve our end of the season product.

Did we march in the same corps? I remember winter camps as basically a waste of time. We were lucky to get 60% attendance and it was like a revolving door. You might have 50 horns in Jan and 50 in March, but only half of those were the same people. The corps never really started coming together until April.

Winter camps are expensive and inefficient. A new model is needed.

Did we march in the same corps? I remember winter camps as basically a waste of time. We were lucky to get 60% attendance and it was like a revolving door. You might have 50 horns in Jan and 50 in March, but only half of those were the same people. The corps never really started coming together until April.

Attendance was especially low for the guard at Nov/Dec camps.

In spite of a slower start, later in the season Madison's strengths began to show up, and there were improvements each and every show while many others had already peaked out. I was especially impressed with the improvement of the guard, which by finals was looking quite good!

I heard talk of a possible off-season conditioning program for Madison, which would probably help with the early season activities. I do agree that winter camps are expensive, especially for those who have to fly in.

Nice review Bill. :sad: I love the fact that you had 20 positive things to say and one "sore spot" and everyones response was to your "sore spot". :drool:

Not only the fact that the guys made finals and had a very entertaining show but gaining almost 25 points over the summer is certainly something

everyone in the organization should be #### proud of. I do agree that coming out of the gates stronger next year would be a big plus and I'm

sure that is certainly the goal of the organization as well. How that is accomplished with WGI and all the other commitments of music majors and

high school age Scouts that are also involved in various music programs I have no idea. I know way back in the stone age when I was in the vast majority

of Scouts were from the Madison area and those that weren't were expected to be at all camps which made it pretty easy compared to today. I'm sure management is working to figure all these things out. I, like you, have the utmost faith in those in charge so I'm looking forward to another great year for the Scouts.

oh yeah, GO 2009 SCOUTS!!!

A better model is needed,.

Although Madison made finals they did sneak in.

Crossmen beat them in every caption except .2 in GE MUSIC and .1 in percussion. This includes scores from both Semi's in quarters.

I would be looking behind me.

The fact that Madison did a great job with the program given to them ( except guard) at semi's deserves a major

CONGRATULATIONS..

LL

With the high school age Scouts, there is the option to request early release like my son did.

School was technically not out until June 5, but the last week is half days with finals and the week before is mostly just review and goofing around while the seniors get ready for graduation events, as well as the Memorial Day holiday. We requested that my son miss those weeks and take finals early, and it was approved by his teachers and counselors. Some made up final exams for him to take before he left, some just let it go. My son was able to be at camp on time for move-ins with these arrangements in place.

Seems some high schools get out as late as June 22 or so, which is more difficult. Our schools start mid-August (last week) and then get out the first week in June. WGI season (WGASC for SoCal schools) is more of a challenge for our area, since their finals are two weeks after WGI finals (dumb decision, but it is what it is).

Those who are 2008 Scouts should be able to come out of the gates at a much higher level in 2009 having already gone through one season. That should establish a good base for the 2009 Scouts.

The fact that Madison did a great job with the program given to them ( except guard) at semi's deserves a major CONGRATULATIONS..

Wow... nice way to crap on the guard... :drool:

BTW, the guard scored 17.2 at semis as compared to 17.15 for percussion and 17.4 for brass, so although they placed 14th they did have a respectable score. The guard made great strides this year, starting with a 13.1 at Kalamazoo and ending with a 17.2 at semis. Considering that almost 75% of the guard was made up of new members this year, they did a darn good job, and both the staff and the members should be congratulated for this accomplishment.

A better model is needed,.

Although Madison made finals they did sneak in.

Crossmen beat them in every caption except .2 in GE MUSIC and .1 in percussion. This includes scores from both Semi's in quarters.

I would be looking behind me.

The fact that Madison did a great job with the program given to them ( except guard) at semi's deserves a major

CONGRATULATIONS..

LL

You have a very nice corps.

...but your need to learn how to read a recap.

You are right, 50 horns out of 62. That is way better than 30 something out of 72 !

Do not for one second think that I was calling any one section out. We are a Corps and every part of it is equally important ! No one section was called out in my post. We all bleed GREEN !

Bill Leslie

GO SCOUTS !!!

Edited by Bill L.