The Official 2008 Madison Scouts Discussion Thread

Not to be a jerk but is drum corps now compared to back then really as lacking as described in this thread? I mean, the visual aspect of producing a show has grown immensely over the years and really changed the way shows communicate. As far as sound goes, yes corps were louder back in the day (Madison 1988 as a ######## example) but if you have a sound say like Crown did in 07, you don't necessarily need to blast the walls down. Of course, it is recommended at some point to blow walls down.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all I see Chris has posted some more great photos on the Scouts site of the Scouts from the Rockford show - if anyone is interested.

(Pat, I see there is a nice close up of your son. By the way do the call you Lion??)

Nice pics of the kit.

Linda, there are a lot of the guard which one is your Kevin?

By the way do the call you Lion??

hehe. I'm taking suggestions on the nickname; lion, alley cat, stray cat, others? :laughing:

In my opinion, the low point is reached when MikeD posts anything, particularly when it is on the Scouts thread. For the record, I loved the 2002 Scouts show.

Vic Russell

Agreed, 2002 was a great year. It may have been a low point but certainly not for the reasons MikeD would think. Ultimately DCI's loss is DCA's gain. I hope those of you in the area will come to the show at Camp Randall this Saturday. Scott's new corps (The Kilties) will be there along with 2 other All Age, MBI and Chops. You will definitely see the Scott Stewart stamp on this years Kilties. We hope you enjoy our presentation.

Get there early though, they have us AA's going on starting at 4:30!

Does the guard have their uniforms yet? If not, what are they wearing? (I know that's a loaded question!)

ROLL CALL:

Who's going to be at Madison this Saturday for Drums on Parade, other than me?

P.S. Thanks for the new pics, Chris! My son looks great in his new beard!

I'm flying into Chicago on Friday, driving to the Normal show that night and on to the Madison show on Saturday.

Not to be a jerk but is drum corps now compared to back then really as lacking as described in this thread? I mean, the visual aspect of producing a show has grown immensely over the years and really changed the way shows communicate. As far as sound goes, yes corps were louder back in the day (Madison 1988 as a ######## example) but if you have a sound say like Crown did in 07, you don't necessarily need to blast the walls down. Of course, it is recommended at some point to blow walls down.

I would say that the level of talent, design, and artistry today dwarfs what we were doing in the 70s and 80s. But where yesteryears product may have been superior is in the fact that the fan was who was being entertained, not the judges, (at least to a greater extent) It was mainly about the music and less about the visual.

Edited by Scerpella

ROLL CALL:

Who's going to be at Madison this Saturday for Drums on Parade, other than me?

P.S. Thanks for the new pics, Chris! My son looks great in his new beard!

Linda......... Paulett and I with Bob Kuske (73,75) and his son are flying out. Hope to meet you in person.

MYNWA

Bill

hmmm take a listen to 73-74 SCV, 76 BD, 77-78 Scouts, 77-80 Bridgemen. Those were some super clean lines to name but a few. And they were clean on the tic system.

Hmmm. Not sure I would pick those examples. If you think the 70s was all about park and blow, check out '74 Madison. Several different musical styles all portrayed idiomatically, and a performance that was both powerful and nuanced.

'79 BD pretty much redefined what field brass could sound like. The first truly "professional" sounding line.

Linda, there are a lot of the guard which one is your Kevin?

First photo (blurred in the back), photo 4710, photo 4724 (left side).

Just noticed East Troy photos as well... photo 4154 (2nd from left).

I would say that the level of talent, design, and artistry today dwarfs what we were doing in the 70s and 80s. But where yesteryears product may have been superior is in the fact that the fan was who was being entertained, not the judges, (at least to a greater extent) It was mainly about the music and less about the visual.

That may be but still, doesn't it seem like there is a larger varitey between sound. I mean, Cadets don't sound like Phantom who doesn't sound like Cavies. One thing I will admit is that it seems that corps have to really catter to the judges instead of the fans. Honestly, this is just my opinion, while BD did win with a good show last year, from the way it was structured, it looked and sounded to me like a show designed to win by cleanness instead of entertainment.