Not sure if it is commitment or craziness or both

If you want to do it, nothing can stop you. NOTHING!

I have to admit during the past few years I have become a drum corps fan for a variety of reasons but mostly due to trying to support my daughter in her boyfriends love of the event. I love the shows, think it is admirable the time and dedication they put into their passion, etc. However, after spending 8 hours in the sun today working an air show under a tent in weather that is well in the 90's I may have had a change of heart. That is INSANE!!!!! It is hot out there. Maybe I am just too old but dang are there some people who just don't have a tolerance for the heat and can't do drumcorps, especially the summer in the south or does your body just eventually adjust?

I've never done drum corps, but I have done marching band in July in the Bay Area, which isn't that hot compared to others; however, if what I did was insane, drum corps must be at least 10x more insane :). I have HUGE respect for them.

I never stopped for six seasons in a row. (and I know that isn't much compared to many people!) For me, it wasn't about how I felt at the tough times, but how I knew I'd feel later if I didn't push through and make it the best moment I could.

I could sit here and name all the times it isn't fun, but the end result outweighs the bad times. It is just too incredible to miss out on.

Edited by drewbugler

Geez--go home. Your daughter ain't there to spend time with you. If she's there for her b/f, and if she's done this a couple years already, get out of her hair. Let her grow up a little bit--on her own! That's one of the best aspects of drum corps for members as well.

Oh, and she ain't gonna marry the boy anyways--chew on that one for a while when considering the sacrifices you've made and the hours spent in the sun. (referring strictly to statistics and observation--of course, she could be the outlier on the bell curve--I just don't bet on those too often! for all I know, she could already be wearing his ring...but I doubt it, knowing what tour dues are these days)

Ummmm...think you might want to read what the OP said again. You're making a lot of leaps according to what the OP gave us at the beginning...I think maybe that Texas brand of heat has made you a bit dizzy. Lol :smile:

Geez--go home. Your daughter ain't there to spend time with you. If she's there for her b/f, and if she's done this a couple years already, get out of her hair. Let her grow up a little bit--on her own! That's one of the best aspects of drum corps for members as well.

Oh, and she ain't gonna marry the boy anyways--chew on that one for a while when considering the sacrifices you've made and the hours spent in the sun. (referring strictly to statistics and observation--of course, she could be the outlier on the bell curve--I just don't bet on those too often! for all I know, she could already be wearing his ring...but I doubt it, knowing what tour dues are these days)

I think the OP was actually complimenting the endurance of people who do drum corps.

There's nothing like an artificial turf field on a 95 degree day under the hot sun in a polyester uniform! I can't believe we'd do that and then wear the same unis that night or the next day with no laundering. I think the stink kept the judges too far away to tick us much.

You certainly do become used to it. I was thinking just today how soft I've gotten because I was complaining about how hot it was outside, then I remembered that my corps was only a few hours away rehearsing all day long

Edited by KCCrown1

Coming from someone who did corps for two years, I found it weird. I walk to work everyday, and its a good 30 minute uphill walk. I come to work sweating. I seriously look back and cannot believe how I ever did corps, but at the time I was just in the zone and wouldnt have anything but I suppose...