What Happened To The Kingsmen?

Makes sense Lee, especially the survival part the first year. Our first year goal was to put a corps on the field for DCA Prelims to prove we weren't gone forever. Considering the corps started back up in January or so and we didn't start drill rehearshals until June it was a tall order. Hey we sucked but we were back. :tongue: And at the time I think we were the first Senior and/or DCA corps to come back (and stay back) after disbanding. (Brigs did it year or two before or so but disbanded again after Prelims.)

Setting a tough but possible goal each year... makes sense big time.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, it wasn't clear. If memory serves me correctly --

In 1999, our first ensemble rehearsal had 2 horn players and a soggy ham sandwich. The goal was survival, as we tried not to get killed off by DCI Pacific.

In 2000, we announced at open house that our goal was to double the size of the corps, and hit 40 horns. We doubled the corps size, but fell short of the 40 horns. But, by setting the bar so high it helped recruiting, and I think we ended up with 25-30 or so. An Alliance with the Blue Devils helped us get off the ground in 2000 a great deal.

In 2001, our goal was to double the size of the corps again, which we did, and we hit our brass numbers (50+). One show in Concord and the longest standing ovation I have ever seen put the Renegades into rock-star status, and recruiting was suddenly a non-issue in 2002 (70+ horns).

In 2003, the time commitment reality hit our age demographic, and recruiting got much harder. People remember the 2003 corps is great, but don't recall that we were Swiss cheese at the first shows with holes.

2004 was an anomaly, and we could have marched a corps of 400 if we pushed.

2005 was almost exactly like 2003 in terms of recruiting, maybe not quite so bad.

2006 was the year the drum line disappeared ... 2007, we got back on our feet.

Faaaaast forward to 2008 -- we have a few holes left, but the corps has much younger demographics, and is in great shape for this time of year. Should be a fun season.

I am not sure exactly where I was going with this, but hope it makes some sense.

But see, Lee...that's the difference...you picked a reasonable and acheivable number (40....definitely doable up in the Bay area compared to down here_...you didn;t say you were coming out with 128 right off the bat.

I would've been VERY happy with 20 horns....that was what we wanted anyway (and what we'll probably shoot for in 09)

I agree with setting a memebrship goal....but only ONE corps I can think of came out at monster size...and Star was the exception to a LOT of rules.

But see, Lee...that's the difference...you picked a reasonable and acheivable number (40....definitely doable up in the Bay area compared to down here_...you didn;t say you were coming out with 128 right off the bat.

I would've been VERY happy with 20 horns....that was what we wanted anyway (and what we'll probably shoot for in 09)

I agree with setting a memebrship goal....but only ONE corps I can think of came out at monster size...and Star was the exception to a LOT of rules.

Okay Sam, even though we keep trying to steer the conversation away from it, you keep bringing up the 128 member thing; taking shots at the Kingsmen. Please, let it go.

As I said before, that was someone's ambitious attempt but it wasn't the will of the KAC members. If "WE" wanted to field a Corps of 128 members, we could do it in a heartbeat, but we really don't want to right now. Doing the DCA thing is not what we set out to do. Again, that was someone's ambitious idea and they weren't speaking for the majority of the KAC. We're taking a break and regrouping, and when we're ready we'll come out and play. Like Kevin said, there's 30 horns signed up right now just to play a wedding. And with the recent turn of events within our organization we'll probably have 100+ members in uniform at our "site X"(.02 to the Renegades) for the wedding. :tongue:

Best of luck to your Corps this year.

Spectemur Agendo

Man I wish we had 12 Brass at our 1st rehearsal this year.

Seems like the downfall of a lot of Corps is "The Board of Directors" thingy. You only need one ney sayer and the whole thing crashes.

I hope you guys on the West Coast can pull together, put BS aside and put the talented people I know you have out there on the stage or field.

Man I wish we had 12 Brass at our 1st rehearsal this year.

Seems like the downfall of a lot of Corps is "The Board of Directors" thingy. You only need one ney sayer and the whole thing crashes.

I hope you guys on the West Coast can pull together, put BS aside and put the talented people I know you have out there on the stage or field.

I actually don't doubt Kmen will put out a corps of some size...it was teh appearance of bragging about that size that got to me.

One advantage teh SoCal Srs have is some separation....there's about 30 miles between En Garde and Dream...about the same between SCD and Kmen, so we won't be all on top of each other (unlike the Jrs down in the Long Beach and surrounding areas).

That's not much of a distance in milage terms...but in SoCal we measure distance in terms of travel time!

I actually don't doubt Kmen will put out a corps of some size...it was teh appearance of bragging about that size that got to me.

One advantage teh SoCal Srs have is some separation....there's about 30 miles between En Garde and Dream...about the same between SCD and Kmen, so we won't be all on top of each other (unlike the Jrs down in the Long Beach and surrounding areas).

That's not much of a distance in milage terms...but in SoCal we measure distance in terms of travel time!

Hope your right.

Here in Kansas, our population is more spread out. We have a 2.5 hour "driving time" seperation between KC and Wichita, 45 minutes from Topeka and 25 minutes or so from Lawrence. A corps could pop up in Wichita especially with the gas prices on the rise. Six of our 14 members were from Wichita and we still have 3 of those people for the time being.

You guys have a real chance to have a Self contained Senior Circuit. I hope it works out.

You guys have a real chance to have a Self contained Senior Circuit. I hope it works out.
Now that would be really cool, and it could probably work and build upon itself. The cost of gas will probably have the same kind of impact on today's drum corps as the Viet Nam war had on many corps in the late 1960's.

The problem appears to be leadership. . . .

In addition there have been accusations of favoritism arising that certain board members have been dismissed for infractions other board members have been allowed to get away with.

Some things never change.

The sparks remaining from our Kingsmen heritage were fanned by the creation of the Kingsmen Alumni Corps ....

That fire has not yet gone out of the universe....

That's unfortunate.

Please let me clarify one thing for the drum corps world, The Kingsmen Alumni Corps............

In the East. The Alumni movment is very different. UN-like the current DCI Elitest Alumni's. Being a past member of the Corps is NOT manatory. The Idea seems to be more like "Cival War Reenactors" A Living History group, if you will. Many if not most members of groups like Blessed Sacrament, Skyliners, Reilly, ETC,ETC. are past members. I for instance belong to the NY Skyliners. I march when I can. Health prevents me from doing more. So some times I go just to be with my Friends. BUT, I also belong to the South Jersey Vagabonds. I was Never in the Vagabonds and they allow non past members to join. They can not even march in a parade. They ride on a float. (So people in wheel chairs and use canes can still play. Very well I might add.) You should see the great crowd response we got! This Sat. we will be in the New Jersey State American legion Parade. It will be the first time in that one, since 1966, for me.

The Whole Idea is to have FUN and Entertain people. In BOTH case's. You get the Look, the Sound and the feel of groups that once were. We KNOW we can never equal the glories of the Corps we represent. We do the Best we can to give the public a sample of the History of Drum and Bugle Corps. Now, I will admitt some are Bigger and Better than others. Corps like Hawthorne Caballeros lead the way. Groups like NY Sky, Blessed Sacrament, Reilly, Archie, Y. Rebles, St. Joe's Batavia, I could go ON and On. Getting Excelent Reviews by the public. Then some that just make to each event. But so be it. All of us having FUN and enjoying each others company, and the Public's response.

I know that arch Rivals of the past all get along very well. Party often and Enjoy their Corps, as well as the Others.

So if it Bothers the Elitest to call us/you an "Alumni Corps" just call it an Alumni TYPE Corps. "Where almost everyone is an Alumni from some Corps" Who cares which one.

The sparks remaining from our Kingsmen heritage were fanned by the creation of the Kingsmen Alumni Corps ....

That fire has not yet gone out of the universe....

That's unfortunate.

Apparently from your perspective as one of the VK-diehard Kingsmen-haters who hasn't matured in 35 years, you would prefer to suppress the historical facts that the Anaheim Kingsmen achieved much more DC success than the VK ever did.

The Kingsmen were better - grow up and deal with it.

The problem appears to be leadership....
Some things never change.

BTW, when you're done throwing rocks, maybe you'll regale us with tales of the VKs stunning leadership(s). Never was any dissention or controversy there, was there?

Edited by GuyW