Announcer Slip-Ups

I can remember when Wes Hobby announced DCA. He would introduce the Caballeros as the "Cabayeros" using the spanish pronounciation by substituting the "Y" for the double "L". It took me about 30 years to figure that out! :thumbup:

I can remember when Wes Hobby announced DCA. He would introduce the Caballeros as the "Cabayeros" using the spanish pronounciation by substituting the "Y" for the double "L". It took me about 30 years to figure that out! :thumbup:

I tell you what, though.... nobody could pronounce French names like Wes. He was definitely in his element anytime there was a French-Canadian corps at a DCA show. Often, he would announce those corps in English and French.

For me, English is tough enough, so that's where I draw the line. :smile:

Fran

As Matt Rainer already stated, they can never get our city and state right without some of our staff sitting up there. And to take it further, our Program Coordinator came up with these rediculously hard-to-pronounce names for our tunes, as the group's music we were playing (Rajaton) was from Finland.

But for runthroughs during rehearsal, we would constantly make fun of the actual location of the corps:

"From Jacksonville, North Carolina"

"From Thomasville, Alaska"

"From New York, IT'S SATURDAY NIGHT!"

Also, numerous times this season (before they changed Vesuvias to be the closer), the announcer would announce the end of the show about 40 seconds too early for The Cadets

San antonio, I believe...

brandt crocker-

"THE GLASSMEN!!"

*the Crossmen are on the field looking mildly amused, and the glassmen, having just come off the field, spill post-show water all over themselves at being re-announced*

"......... THE CROSSMEN!!"

Also, since that particular one has been mentioned- performing their 2008 program,

"Carnival!"

"Kuhn-uh-vel!"

"Korn-evil!"

"Kwarn-ah-veil!"

"Karn-ee-vohl!:

Edited by comeonfhqwhgads

I tell you what, though.... nobody could pronounce French names like Wes. He was definitely in his element anytime there was a French-Canadian corps at a DCA show. Often, he would announce those corps in English and French.

For me, English is tough enough, so that's where I draw the line. :tongue:

Fran

To show announcers everywhere. When Wes took the mic he would say: "Ladies and Gentlemen, the musical units you are about to see tonight are Drum & Bugle Corps, they are NOT bands." Loved it. :smile: