Announcer Slip-Ups

I think those things fall in the "don't shoot the messenger" category......LOL... they are not the announcer's fault. He/she is just reading the name they're given.

It happened to me at DCA Finals last year..... I announced the Buccaneers as having won the Color Guard trophy in Open Class.... a bit later a DCA official came over and said a mistake had been made in the tabulation, that the Bushwackers actually were the Color Guard champ. Stuff happens. I then announced the correction to the audience.

Fran

A few Vvts of last year's guard had fun jokingly yelling "We won guard for 2 minutes!" :tongue:

PRIZE PATROL!

:doh:

Ah, yes. Prize Patrol had a decidedly different meaning when I marched... :tongue:

02 maybe... 00? 01?

cincinnati (fairfield, oh actually) -- the announcer thought the blue knights were done, even though they had one song to go. so after the applause died down he said

"From Denver, Colorado, THE BLUE KNIGHTS!"

and then their closer started.

I know in 99 at least at one show the announcer did that at the end of BK's opener (it was something like 5:30-6 minutes long). Don't know if that's a good thing that the announcer felt like it had been 11 minutes...

Colts had twin brother drum majors (Nick and Tim). The announcer called them Tick and Nim. lol

2000 Hornell, NY show

The announcer was a former Mayor of the town....

we had just setup on the field.

"on the field from Tampa, FL.....i've never heard of these guys......Tampa Bay Thunder"

ah....such a nice way to announce us to the Northeast.

Does anyone know if there where any big announcer slip-ups for a show? Doesn't have to be finals or anything, but a minor mispronunciation isn't too big of a deal. I just haven't heard one really mess up.

Back in 1970, we played a Brazilian tune going into concert called "Laia la Daia" (pronouced Lie-uh luh Die-uh). At one show, the announcer said we were playing "Lay a Lady". My parents were at that show, and they told me later they could see all of our white plumes shaking as we tried not to laugh out loud on the starting line.

:tongue:

• 2 months later...

05 raiders homeshow. Ecj was back at there buses changing out of uniform and Jersy Surf was performing. After their show the announcer says "ladies and gentlemen EAST COAST Jaz... Jersey Surf!"

Mentor Ohio 1990 or 2000

With the US Marine Drum and Bugle Corps.

The announcer had our "official" write up and basically pooped on himself trying to read it.

then when he was done,

"Ladies and Gentlemen...... uh....

PLease welcome..........................................

the USA..........

DRILL BAND!"

that was great...lol

One of my favorites was on the PBS broadcast (I believe it was BD '89), I think this is how it played out:

End of show, camera shows a BD member really letting go of their emotion as they start to leave the field and I believe it was Steve R. says something about the emotion or energy or something that these "guys" are putting out. The camera then shows two of the BD soloists (both guys) one of which had his hair pulled back in a banana clip and Curt G. says "guys and girls too...(recognizing his mistake...uh...yeah" It's funnier when you hear it live.