How much do corps get paid to do a parade

My fire company is having our 60th anniversary and we're doing a parade. I would like to have some corps there. I know nothing is free anymore. Would a corps (JR) do it for a free lunch and dinner. How much would we be looking at for a DCA corps, an Alumni Corps and a parade corps?

Roundabout numbers will help also to give us a guide.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose it depends on the location. In Atlanta the going rate is about $750 for a mile long parade.

the guys are right... depends on location and situation... I've seen plenty of examples of co-op situation where the corps does the parade in return for whatever (rehearsal facilities for example)... I've also seen every price up to 5K or more. So the variance is too much to quote...

If you wish to send me location and date and time, I will be glad to put you in contact with whoever might be appropriate to that location and date.

Blackstar,

Good topic (and necessary).

I would say, most established groups would consider nothing less than $1000. Even that would have to be an easily accessible, not much effort, type of thing for the corps.

With gas prices as they are, I'm thinking most all-age group members would say to their management "Hey, (my corps Business Manager) here's $10, DON'T take the job!! If you do take the job, it will cost me at least $20 gas for my travel expense, about 6 hours of my time, etc.

Hate to say it, but depending who you are trying to attract, a minimum $2000 might be the only amount that makes sense for that organization. Exceptions might be corps who happen to be in your community for a contest later that same day.

The above is my personal opinion only.

:smile:

My fire company is having our 60th anniversary and we're doing a parade. I would like to have some corps there. I know nothing is free anymore. Would a corps (JR) do it for a free lunch and dinner. How much would we be looking at for a DCA corps, an Alumni Corps and a parade corps?

Roundabout numbers will help also to give us a guide.

Variables that enter into the mix...

Length of parade route

Date of the parade - Saturday or Sunday, Holiday weekend, expected weather conditions

Any "extras" like free food, etc.

Rain date or not

Location and access to parade route & parking

The best bet is to find some corps that you think might be interested and contact the business managers. Be prepared to sign contracts.

They pay less than it costs to do the parade for the most part. Sometimes you even need to acquire a corporate sponsor just to get into the parade in these parts. Not that we have many parades. 110F summers and all in Texas. Not that $400-$1200 covers the $4000 bus costs, or $40 per member gas prices. Maybe lower costs with closer gigs and carpooling. But still rarely more profitable to any degree above a weekends car wash of $500. But most times a little more fun.

In college, they did alright doing five parades in one day. Enough to cover charter bus costs, and even feed the band. Although some of that might have been federal funds as well. A long weekend for sure. But sustainable in that members generally didn't have to fund it, and even got fed in the process.

They pay less than it costs to do the parade for the most part. Sometimes you even need to acquire a corporate sponsor just to get into the parade in these parts. Not that we have many parades. 110F summers and all in Texas. Not that $400-$1200 covers the $4000 bus costs, or $40 per member gas prices. Maybe lower costs with closer gigs and carpooling. But still rarely more profitable to any degree above a weekends car wash of $500. But most times a little more fun.

In college, they did alright doing five parades in one day. Enough to cover charter bus costs, and even feed the band. Although some of that might have been federal funds as well. A long weekend for sure. But sustainable in that members generally didn't have to fund it, and even got fed in the process.

Pretty much the same up here as far as parades not being a paying gig. The Fees are cheap but we will be working on sponsors to help us with the insurance cost. From what I can see, parades are for face time and flying the Flag which to us is as important as money.

Parades=Recruiting

All depends on how bad you need the money. You can't go backwards, but also remember that people join a performing group (in this case a drum corps) to perform. Get you name out, play some music, have some fun.

If this was a normal gig for the Govies, with in 100 miles, we would be asking $1500.00, but then again we do certain parades for $300.00 and thats because we got a raise :tongue:

Edited by John Mayer

The Fire Company is in Delaware and the parade would be on a saturday Maybe in late June or early September and maybe a mile at the most. We the smallest fire company in the state 1 1/4 mile square district. We looking at two or threes corps if anyone is interested.