The Official 2008 Cadets FANS Discussion Thread

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2599573596_34cf7b6ae9_o.jpg

What are those guard unis supposed to be??? Or are those even the final product..

Next year it'll be an entire house. :tongue:

Aren't they supposed to be done with the story telling after this year?

Someone made an interesting point in the "now that the first shows have happened, do you want to change your predictions?" thread about Cadets portrayal of the Pursuit of Happiness. I thought I'd bring it up here since my question is more on-topic here than elsewhere.

Pursuit of Happiness, as we all remember from government class, is a Jeffersonian term that derives from the John Locke term Pursuit of Property. So, really, I guess I have two questions. I haven't seen the show yet and haven't read up on it and didn't read everything in this thread yet, so you guys will have to fill me in.

1.) How are Cadets portraying the idea of "Pursuit of Happiness" as it is spelled out in the Declaration/Constitution?

2.) Is their portrayal accurate and/or appropriate for its historical/political/legal/philosophical meaning or have they strayed off the mark in some way?

A little background. First, I loved the 06 show on first viewing, thought the 05 show was the wierd one, detested last years (though have been one of the loudest honks in terms of recognizing its quality of achievement) from first viewing, and am not, generally, a big fan of narration, etc. But my reason for asking is that I would really detest it at a whole new level if Hop and Co didn't portray our political philosophy accurately. I mean, are they getting it right? Do they know what they are doing? (Content question, not design or execution question)

I hope this isn't redundant for the previous several pages. Thought I would wait to throw this out until after some of you had actually seen the show.

And as OP stated, please keep it nice. I don't intend this ugly--honest question. Please feel free to answer if you know.

Next year it'll be an entire house. :tongue:

Dream Scapes in 4 parts I Believe with Happiness in Pursuit

Volume IV: Dream Scapes in 4 parts I Believe with Happiness in Pursuit

Forgot one. Fixed it for ya'.

Someone made an interesting point in the "now that the first shows have happened, do you want to change your predictions?" thread about Cadets portrayal of the Pursuit of Happiness. I thought I'd bring it up here since my question is more on-topic here than elsewhere.

Pursuit of Happiness, as we all remember from government class, is a Jeffersonian term that derives from the John Locke term Pursuit of Property. So, really, I guess I have two questions. I haven't seen the show yet and haven't read up on it and didn't read everything in this thread yet, so you guys will have to fill me in.

1.) How are Cadets portraying the idea of "Pursuit of Happiness" as it is spelled out in the Declaration/Constitution?

2.) Is their portrayal accurate and/or appropriate for its historical/political/legal/philosophical meaning or have they strayed off the mark in some way?

A little background. First, I loved the 06 show on first viewing, thought the 05 show was the wierd one, detested last years (though have been one of the loudest honks in terms of recognizing its quality of achievement) from first viewing, and am not, generally, a big fan of narration, etc. But my reason for asking is that I would really detest it at a whole new level if Hop and Co didn't portray our political philosophy accurately. I mean, are they getting it right? Do they know what they are doing? (Content question, not design or execution question)

I hope this isn't redundant for the previous several pages. Thought I would wait to throw this out until after some of you had actually seen the show.

And as OP stated, please keep it nice. I don't intend this ugly--honest question. Please feel free to answer if you know.

I certainly can't claim that I know anything about the intent of the show, I can only tell you what I have surmised from watching it on All Access. From what I saw, the show uses an episode of the radio show, This American Life, and an interview between radio host, Ira Glass, and a young woman to explore the topic of the pursuit of happiness. The woman is a cancer survivor who reflects upon her life and all of the things she chased after in her life that she thought would make her happy. She touches on being on her own for the first time in college, finding the right and perfect guy, then filling her life with possessions - money, house and all the trimmings. It seems she was happily in the middle of pursing the American dream when she did battle with cancer and found that her entire outlook on life and what she had thought was important had changed. She found that happiness was not necessarily found where she was looking for it, but was often found where she wasn't looking for it, in things and moments along the way -- the theme that life is a journey, not a destination .

I couldn't begin to answer your second question. I didn't see any attempt to portray any historical/legal/political philosophy of this nation, other than touching on one of the cornerstones of our "unalienable rights" and exploring its meaning to this woman and possibly others in our society today.

Edited by JustABandMom