St Johns Drum & Bugle Corps

This is sooooooooooo awesome! I used to love St. John's every summer on their New England swing !

Good luck !

PS - I hope your uniforms'll look alot like those stylin' burgundy and black ones I remember

Edited by grenadasmoothie

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is plenty of talent that because of age, time or money can't do the junior thing. There's no reason Ontario can't sustain 2 DCA corps as well as more DCI corps than the current 3. I don't think Grennies should be impacted. In fact, the nearby competition will probably be good for them - get some interest going in the province.

Over the last few years when I marched, a lot of membership was from the West hotbed area, NY State (Baldwinsville, Syracuse, Watertown) and Quebec. The local folk in Kingston were out-numbered significantly.

Over the last few years when I marched, a lot of membership was from the West hotbed area, NY State (Baldwinsville, Syracuse, Watertown) and Quebec. The local folk in Kingston were out-numbered significantly.

Well there again - there's a ton of talent in Quebec too - and at this point it's doubtful that folks from Quebec would bypass Kingston to drive another 4 hours to get to Brantford. It will be down to the management of both corps to recruit and promote in the appropriate areas. Remembering drum corps life in the '70s I refuse to believe that we can't have more than 1 DCA corps anymore. If the desire is there in Kingston as Don says (and it sure is) then both corps can get something off the ground here.

Imagine a Canadian competition with a junior AND senior division again!!!!!

Well there again - there's a ton of talent in Quebec too - and at this point it's doubtful that folks from Quebec would bypass Kingston to drive another 4 hours to get to Brantford. It will be down to the management of both corps to recruit and promote in the appropriate areas. Remembering drum corps life in the '70s I refuse to believe that we can't have more than 1 DCA corps anymore. If the desire is there in Kingston as Don says (and it sure is) then both corps can get something off the ground here.

Imagine a Canadian competition with a junior AND senior division again!!!!!

I dont believe for the drum corps fans in Quebec it is a matter of even making it to Kingston, once they hit the bridge to the US that head straight south

Doug Smith

Until I got sick I was practicing with Cru last year, and while I loved the corps and the people there, the drive was a bit of a killer after a while. Personally, unless you have some deep loyalties to a distant corps, I think people would rather march close if there is a comparable corps around. The gas prices this year may force a re-think of long-haul drum corps membership.

So again, it's down to the individual corps to build a product that (relatively) local people want to participate in.

Edited by kusankusho

You hit the nail on the head there Kusankusho. In South-Western Ontario, in the mid-90’s there were at least 5+ junior corps in and around the area. There are generations and generations of alumni out there still involved in the activity or have kids in the activity or merely come out to support us all at the shows. So we’re confident the need and want for a local Western Corps is there. The gas prices play a huge factor as well. Not to mention the ability for most, if not all, members to go home at night without having the expense of staying out of town, or leaving their families for an extended period of time. There are factors of interest for every Corps. We hope this brings some life back into the Ontario Drum Corps scene. Grenadiers have maintained many successful years and we hope to follow suit.

all I can say is:

Great News EH?

best of luck with your new endeavor