St Johns Drum & Bugle Corps

Chester - have you never played pile on dude. You just happened to get caught at the bottom of the pile.

Its ok ... no one gets hurt and your turn to be the King of the Castle is coming!!!!!

Just so long as no one gives me a wedgy.

So back to the corps. Has any staff been picked yet? I'm curious to see who's lined up in both executive and instructors.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about?

Doug Thrower

Dave MacKinnon

Wayne Dillon

Bill Thomas

John Phillips

John Freeman

Dave Meikle

its late there are more....................

Jamie Oatt

Dave "Antman" McPhee

Dan Douglas

Tony Rice

All excellent staff members.

Just so long as no one gives me a wedgy.

So back to the corps. Has any staff been picked yet? I'm curious to see who's lined up in both executive and instructors.

the staff is going to be a slow process with everyone interested to submitt a resume of work and drum corps, then interviews will happen in front of a panel of people, those people then will decide who the staff will be not based on drum corps talent alone, you have to bring education to the corps, remember this is all ages so young and old WILL be involved, this is an opprotunity to teach new people the world of drum corps as well as teach some vets things they may have never learned, this wont be heres the music learn it lets move on thats old drum corps so many people have left drum corps with talent to play but it stops there the education and understanding of what you are playing is key to future development and understanding of what drum corps really is music education with a twist, chester85 if you want to apply to share your skills with everyone send me a resume with you name and history and we will be glad to review it, by the way i am the director of st johns marched the corps for 7 years started around the activity in 85 and stiill going today, i may not have been top 12 dci but was always respectuful of my competition and was honoured and proud to wear the uniform, top 12 dci has produced alot of talent yes but there is even more that people that left dci with nothing but a bittter taste, no family there most of the odca corps were a family coprs you stayed to the end no matter what the result, that's what we did at st johns and thats what we will do now with the all ages corps , create a sense of pride not a number on a field make you feel pround to say i marched there! :lol:

the staff is going to be a slow process with everyone interested to submitt a resume of work and drum corps, then interviews will happen in front of a panel of people, those people then will decide who the staff will be not based on drum corps talent alone, you have to bring education to the corps, remember this is all ages so young and old WILL be involved, this is an opprotunity to teach new people the world of drum corps as well as teach some vets things they may have never learned, this wont be heres the music learn it lets move on thats old drum corps so many people have left drum corps with talent to play but it stops there the education and understanding of what you are playing is key to future development and understanding of what drum corps really is music education with a twist, chester85 if you want to apply to share your skills with everyone send me a resume with you name and history and we will be glad to review it, by the way i am the director of st johns marched the corps for 7 years started around the activity in 85 and stiill going today, i may not have been top 12 dci but was always respectuful of my competition and was honoured and proud to wear the uniform, top 12 dci has produced alot of talent yes but there is even more that people that left dci with nothing but a bittter taste, no family there most of the odca corps were a family coprs you stayed to the end no matter what the result, that's what we did at st johns and thats what we will do now with the all ages corps , create a sense of pride not a number on a field make you feel pround to say i marched there! :whistle:

Matt wins the award for the longest single sentence in the history of DCP! :lol:

Seriously - I wish you the best of luck with this.

There is one name that has not been mentioned for percussion guys. This guy has been influential to many, many of the names associated with marching percussion in Ontario and North America for that matter. He is a master at creating foundations for rudimental drumming in Ontario. He can take anyone and make them a great drummer. He might not have top 12 behind him but he is better than 90% of the guys teaching in the top 12 today. If you guys are serious about building a great drumline from the ground up and having sustainability for years to come, you need to contact Jim Macauley.

I am not sure your approach for hiring a staff is the right one. But that is just my opinion. You guys need to be applauded for trying to get something going in Ontario.

There is one name that has not been mentioned for percussion guys. This guy has been influential to many, many of the names associated with marching percussion in Ontario and North America for that matter. He is a master at creating foundations for rudimental drumming in Ontario. He can take anyone and make them a great drummer. He might not have top 12 behind him but he is better than 90% of the guys teaching in the top 12 today. If you guys are serious about building a great drumline from the ground up and having sustainability for years to come, you need to contact Jim Macauley.

I am not sure your approach for hiring a staff is the right one. But that is just my opinion. You guys need to be applauded for trying to get something going in Ontario.

Sharpe...you should be involved man! Get in that Caption Head position again, kick some ###, take some names, you know how it goes.

On a lighter note, I have started a new topic of dicussion in regards to St.Johns,

check it out

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=113254

Sean Morriss

[I would like to clarify this for anyone who misunderstood my post

I did not say I am teaching the drum line for the all ages corps. What I did say was I am currently running a percussion unit from St.Johns. I was hired to teach this line, which has a solid membership base and have been drumming together for quite awhile. With our summer rehearsals now starting, and the addition of the all ages corps, I thought I would open the first rehearsal to anyone interested in the all ages corps. We do have a scheduled event upcoming in 5 weeks, and with the talent level of the people who have already replied they are coming to this rehearsal, they shouldn’t have any problems jumping in it

I hope this clears things up

Sean

Just a response to Chester's post.

The corps will be running an all ages program, as well as a junior program. I personally teach the guard in the junior corps, and currently my youngest is 11 and my oldest is 16. So the chances of the all ages corps having 4 year old kids running around the field is unlikely (especially considering we don't have 4 year olds at our JUNIOR CORPS rehearsals). I've been talking to many of the people I marched with from 2000 and on, and many of them are interested and excited to see what's being set up.

~Jenn

Yes Jim would be an excellent choice for a drum instructor along with Larry Blandford and Rick Galleger. Mabey Lee Beddis could do the arranging. All top notch guys. Mabey even Jason Parent