2008 Standings

a missed attack or release was a tick. dirty rolls = tick. wrong sticking = tick. late horns up = tick. late step off = tick. i don't recall any gray murky questions about them. GE was a different story. It wasn't execution, but the judges opinion. It's the same today, only execution is an opinion as well today.

but your dirty roll might not equal mine. As I've pointed out many times, in the mid 70's, the Rebs and Sky were butting heads every week in drums.

When judge A saw em both, Rebs won. loved their tuning, thought Sky was fuzzy and made things sound worse than maybe they were.

Judge B saw em both, Sky won...gave latitude for the tuning.

so again, what Judge A may have thought was dirty, Judge B didnt.

and Judge A worked finals, so Rebels won

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that I can't even picture where Perkins is in Racine tells me something. Because I would normally love Perkins.

Yeah the Perkins in Racine is terrible. Has been since it opened probably 3 years ago. Dan, it's located by the Shopko on HWY 20 across from the Walgreens about a mile east from the Denny's. There isn't much in that area for those types of restaurants. Denny's is probably it. There is an IHOP by the mall. Otherwise you would have to drive further into downtown.

Edited by KiltieBD3

Does anyone know if Yokohama Inspires are coming?

Looking at their website and, while it is in Japanese, it doesn't have anything listed that weekend except on Sunday. I did an online translator for that day and it just says "all day rehearsal." So I am assuming they are not coming to DCA ... or, they have not updated their calendar.

Does anyone know if Yokohama Inspires are coming?

I think that we'd have seen a whole lot of hype if they were. They tend to send a lot of excitement on ahead of their arrival.

a missed attack or release was a tick. dirty rolls = tick. wrong sticking = tick. late horns up = tick. late step off = tick. i don't recall any gray murky questions about them. GE was a different story. It wasn't execution, but the judges opinion. It's the same today, only execution is an opinion as well today.

Ticks were an opinion, too, back in the day. In my opinion. :thumbup:

One judge's idea of a mistake was another judge's "nice going." Hardly objective at all, in many cases.

Fran

I think that we'd have seen a whole lot of hype if they were. They tend to send a lot of excitement on ahead of their arrival.

Matt, I believe you're right on this.... I haven't heard a word about the Inspires coming to Rochester this year.

I really, really hope they can make the trip stateside again, some year soon for the DCA championships. They had a great corps in both 2002 and 2004.

Fran

And I want to get rid of some of this mid-section flab so I can wear the medium-sized shirt I bought from their souvie booth in '04. It's a touch tight...

:smile:

Edited by CallipygianKing

:smile:

Matt:

Stay away from the McDonald's there across from your practice facility..that might help. :worthy:

I agree with just about everyone..I'd like to see the Inspires again..except I'd be scared if they came out with their show after another month of work..They'd be really tough! :worthy:

Pat

Inspires... what a great organization and wonderful people. We know of no plans to come back anytime soon. Let's hope they can put it on their schedule again in the next few years... but I can't imagine how much it would cost them now...

As for the tick system... you don't want to go there... there was NEVER anything "objective" about the tick system. It was a corrupted "subjective" system... The most difficult thing to do was to teach judges to have the same "tolerance"... that varying of tolerance caused the system to become opinion and very difficult to teach and control... consequently the currect system which works MUCH better.

I should have added that any judge by varying his tolerance could write any corps off the sheet... and that often happened...

For those of you who think it may have been a better system... how do you properly rank two corps when they both have so many ticks that they are at 0... let's say corps 1 had 250 ticks and corps 2 had 200 in a 20 pt caption... now what?

it simply was a monster to handle... and was wrought with mistakes...