::Pointless Poll:: Saturday results

Surprising Saturday Results  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Saturday night results would surprise you most?

• Concord, CA: Vanguard beats Blue Devils
    • Rockford, IL: Carolina takes the crown
    • Rockford, IL: Madison finishes 4th or higher
    • Toledo, OH: Bluecoats knockout the Cadets
    • Toledo, OH: Troopers finish 5th or higher

If I understand CI as it is presented, then yes it could happen. However, for this to happen CC of Bloo would have to be FAR beyond the execution level of even the winning corps to break into the top 3, because CI states that you have to finish in the top 3 before winning a championship.

Am I right Bruckner?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay I have read the CI theory previously posted, and I can see the logic behind it. My question for you about your prediction for this year is: doesn't CI take into account that a Corps (or two) with growing momentum can't/won't break into the top 3? Or is the top 3 now and forever more a constant. I'm asking b/c I am admittedly a CC honk, although I see the momentum, the push, of both bloo and CC towards the top. Even with CI, is it just impossible for a corps like CC to jump from 6th to 3rd? Just askin'

I think it would be possible for CC to jump to 3rd. I will be very surprised if they aren't better than last year. However, as we saw with the Bluecoats last year, you can put out the best corps you've ever had and finish 7th. That's a possibility for CC too. For the record - I don't see Madison beating Crown at any point this season. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

If I understand CI as it is presented, then yes it could happen. However, for this to happen CC of Bloo would have to be FAR beyond the execution level of even the winning corps to break into the top 3, because CI states that you have to finish in the top 3 before winning a championship.

Am I right Bruckner?

I disagree. If any corps is the best on finals night they should (and will) win. Regardless of prior placements.

The fact that nobody besides BD, Cavies, and Cadets has won a championship since 1999 (and even then, it was a tie) makes me really sad. Don't get me wrong, I love those three corps, but I'd LOVE to see some mixing up of the top three. I'm hoping this is the summer that starts to happen.

Am I right Bruckner?

I understand from Bruckner that you have to have your foot in the door first at least a 3rd place finish. I wasn't implying CC was going to win a Championship this year, speaking as a honk, it would be so sweet, to jump from 6th to 1st. I am agreeing with Bruckner. I see CI and the momentum and that you HAVE to be in the top 3 FIRST before you can win a championship. I'll be happy with 3rd this year and 1st next year! :blink: I would call that proof of CI

I think they could jump from 6th to 3rd. Any higher is a near impossibility though. Crown has shown that they can play with regiment and scv. Beyond that, they just need one of the big 3 to have a peceived 'down year' (whether or not it is a down year is irrelevant, anytime one of those 3 is 4th or lower, its a down year for them).

Yes, that pretty much answers the CC Honk's question, but I'll add that Competitive Inertia doesn't prevent CC from winning, it only prevents CC from winning NOW, since CC hasn't yet placed 3rd or 2nd. When a non-championship corps gets 2nd or 3rd in a given year (which prolly means they were qualified enough to win), they had better bring their "A game" the next year, cuz that's their best shot at winning.

And Nick's right about something else: Even if CC wins, it will be perceived as more a function of the Top 3 having a "down year" than CC having a championship year.

(But I'm sure CC will still take it!)

I disagree. If any corps is the best on finals night they should (and will) win. Regardless of prior placements.
History (i.e., CI) proves that to be false, many times over. Most glaring example is PR 1993. They had the best show, that night, hands down. Others have posted at length about other years. I'll let them add on.

Am I right Bruckner?

Yes, that's exactly right.

Crown improves soooo much each year... I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up in the top 4.

Why does everyone think that it is highly unlikely for Crown to beat the Cavaliers at Rockford? We have NO idea of how the Cavaliers look or sound, so I really don't see what this is being based off of, other than the fact that the Cavaliers have been great for a pretty good while now.

Saw the Cavalier run through last night, I see no way CC beats them. The show is not quite complete (guard work) but the first half is being performed at a high level already. And after seeing the progress they've been making this week, I have no doubt that this very talented group will win handily on saturday night.

Edited by hardcorpscadets