The Renegades 2008 Mysterious Stockton Score Incident

I even think the arranger for SCV and the Renegades get along pretty well. They both studied with the BD arranger in the early 80s.

Heh. :tongue:

I think he's close to the Bushwackers arranger as well. They all hang out -- never seen apart from one another.

Edited by drumlaw80

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW... the local paper had a great article about a few Stockton Renegades, including the infamous Bonnie Ott (sister of brass guru Jim Ott):

Pioneering woman in bugle competition

By Tony Sauro

June 21, 2008 6:00 AM

Bonnie Ott Thompson says she’s still “dumbstruck” when people remember her. After all, it’s been 32 years since she became a women’s pioneer in the fast-paced world of drum-and-bugle corps competition that once was dominated by males.

“To this day, I’m so impressed. I can’t find the words. I’m dumbstruck that people still have heard of me,” said Ott Thompson, who, as a 10-year-old member of the Stockton Commodores,
became the first female to play a brass instrument in a drum-and-bugle corps in 1967.
(
)

Read the whole article!

See you on the 50,

- Greg

Just an aside...I'm sure she was very good, but far, far from the first female to play a brass instrument in a drum and bugle corps. Hundreds and I dare say maybe thousands came before her. Maybe it meant the Commodores only.

OK back to your regularly scheduled rants. :tongue:

Just an aside...I'm sure she was very good, but far, far from the first female to play a brass instrument in a drum and bugle corps. Hundreds and I dare say maybe thousands came before her. Maybe it meant the Commodores only.

Nope. It's true.

So what can we take away from this?

We can take away that relations between DCI and Senior Corps are still not perfect, although they are improving. Sometimes when changing the preconceived notions of a person, or especially an organization, it's two steps forward, one step back, and while it's easy to dwell on the steps backwards, it's important to remember the steps forward that you have made.

We can also take away that the Renegades impressed the hell out some experienced drum corps judges last night. Despite any difficulties with DCA sheets vs. DCI sheets, these people are educated and experienced at what they do (having studied under one of them, and taught along side another I can say this confidently) and their reactions and comments are something we can take to the bank and be proud of. Not to mention use as a learning tool towards having a even STRONGER showing next time.

So despite the wackiness and confusion of last night, I am taking away the feeling that I am happy I decided to return to the activity in 2008, and am proud to be a Renegade. If the effect we have on the country in August is any comparison to the effect we had on Stockton in June, it's going to be an interesting summer.

Edited by MarimbaManiac

Well ... maybe not thousands ... but there were quite a few all-girl corps in the 50's and early 60's (Bon Bons, Vacationland Sweethearts, ND-ettes, Norwood Debonnaires, Joanettes, and more ... and co-ed wise the early 60's in CT had St. Ann's Loyalaires and CT Royal Lancers both with female brass players ... not sure when Casper and Argonne went co-ed but it seems to me it was before 67 ...

Andy

Edited by ajlisko

So what can we take away from this?

We can take away that relations between DCI and Senior Corps are still not perfect, although they are improving. Sometimes when changing the mind of a person, or especially an organization it's two steps forward, one step back, and while it's easy to dwell on the steps backwards, it's important to remember the steps forward that you have made.

We can also take away that the Renegades impressed the hell out some experienced drum corps judges last night. Despite any difficulties with DCA sheets vs. DCI sheets, these people are educated and experienced at what they do (having studied under one of them, and taught along side another I can say this confidently) and their reactions and comments are something we can take to the bank and be proud of. Not to mention use as a learning tool towards having a even STRONGER showing next time.

So despite the wackiness and confusion of last night, I am taking away the feeling that I am happy I decided to return to the activity in 2008, and am proud to be a Renegade. If the effect we have on the country in August is any comparison to the effect we had on Stockton in June, it's going to be an interesting summer.

You are absolutely 100000% correct.

I can also assure you that the Renegades did not get where they are today by rolling over and drolling with appreciation every time DCI-P threw them a rotten bread crumb.

There's nothing wrong with demanding decent behavior out of these professionals and calling them on it when they don't behave as such. There's really no good excuse for what happened at Stockton, and I'm glad that Lee and others don't just say "Oh no....we're not going to say anything....we don't want to rock the boat and make them mad". I can guarantee you that if they had done that from the beginning, they wouldn't have been around long.

Rock on Renegades. You guys looked "August-good" in June.

Well said.

The entire staff was really proud of the corps last night. It seems that over the winter, while no one was looking, Dark City and the 2008 Renegades suddenly became something very special.

Maybe it is appropriate that this season started with chaos, in true Renegades-fashion. :tongue:

My kinda topic.

When the regional circuits held "all-comers" shows, all corps were judged on the same sheet. Achievement is achievement. Drums here, bugles there, visual here...voila! Here's the score.

DCM gave the member corps voting rights for this kind of scenario and is the best example with Minnesota being scored alongside Colts, Sky Ryders, Pioneer, Scouts and Regiment.

And, OH NO!, once in a while, Minnesota would come out ahead of one or two of the Juniors!

Guess what? The Earth didn't stop rotating on its axis!

Now, no more DCM, no more voting rights. So, he who has the gold makes the rule.

It is like Darth Vader and Lando Calrissian.

Lando: "You said they would stay here with me!"

Vader: "I am altering the deal, pray I don't alter it further."

You want "relative" scores? Put everyone on the same sheet. That's not so hard.

You want an audience that understands the difference between Junior and All-Age sheets? EDUCATE THEM!

They were "smart enough" to buy a ticket to the show. Let's give 'em a little credit instead of infantilizing them. By the time they get to their cars, they won't care anyway!!!

Do we really believe the conversation at tomorrow's dinner table will be that "Renegades beat Santa Clara"? Or will it be more like "Timmy has soccer at 5:30 and I have a hair appointment at 7"?

Not announcing the score is an insult all the way around. To the audience, too.

And a hand-wringing "thank you for coming and entertaining our fans, now run along" goes...to the Renegades!

Nice job, DCI. Who's the bonehead who came up with this (insert Vader's Theme here)?

Lee and Renegades,

Sorry to hear that you guys had to deal with this. Sounds like you put on an awesome show.

For what it's worth, things went smoothly (as they usually do) for the all ages corps performing at DCI shows in Minnesota. (Well, Mankato is about to step off, but I'm assuming things will go well there.) Perhaps its because we've been at these shows since forever, but we're treated as just another division (as I'm sure Renegades want!). We have our quibbles with DCI from time to time but we've never dealt with the kind of stuff you guys put up with. We get sheets, we get scores and we get our scores announced without any hoo-ha. Bummer DCI-Pacific plays by their own rules, cause it's certainly not the way the game is played in the Midwest.

Eric

MBI

Heh. :tongue:

I think he's close to the Bushwackers arranger as well. They all hang out -- never seen apart from one another.

Like Clark Kent and Superman! :tongue: