Bridging The Gap - Show Designers vs. The Fans

If you need a program or an explanation to get a show, it's not worth getting.

LMAO, only time I look at the program to see if any staff names look familar (from "my time" or DCP poster) or to for a song I hear that I can't quite place. :lol:

Other than that, I sit on my fat butt and try to enjoy the sounds and movement on the field. And bag trying to make sense out of the design or how all the "stuff" is supposed to fit together.

And the only show names I tend to remember are from Chops, Inc :biggrin: Right Shirley???? :lol::laugh:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The DCA rules booklet does say that innovation is among the realm of what is being judged. If we get into the cycle of playing the same tunes over and over again, then I think we'll get trapped into an activity that won't evolve and new people will not feel encouraged to join. DCA follows in the footseps of DCI because that is who we have coming into the age to march in the senior circuit. Don't get me wrong, there are a few convoluted shows out there that have left me thinking. But, I do think that if we want our activity to continue its growth in membership that we should begin to think outside of the traditional box and become more innovative. Just a thought! =)

The DCA rules booklet does say that innovation is among the realm of what is being judged. If we get into the cycle of playing the same tunes over and over again, then I think we'll get trapped into an activity that won't evolve and new people will not feel encouraged to join. DCA follows in the footseps of DCI because that is who we have coming into the age to march in the senior circuit. Don't get me wrong, there are a few convoluted shows out there that have left me thinking. But, I do think that if we want our activity to continue its growth in membership that we should begin to think outside of the traditional box and become more innovative. Just a thought! =)

It's a good thought.

I've seen some pretty imaginative innovation in some activities that always exist within a set boundary of rules, so as not to change the activity into something else.

DCA and DCI have chosen their path and for them, it's a good one and yeilds the results and shows the fans of DCI/DCA want.

I just hate to see new and old generations disrespecting eachother over terms. I try to recognize both for what they represent.

As far as bridging the gap, I think it's simply a case of, "sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you."

Maybe there's a show you don't get or enjoy. Maybe next time or year there will be.

Let me think...have I ever played a show I didn't get or like? Hmmmm.

It's a good thought.

I've seen some pretty imaginative innovation in some activities that always exist within a set boundary of rules, so as not to change the activity into something else.

DCA and DCI have chosen their path and for them, it's a good one and yeilds the results and shows the fans of DCI/DCA want.

I just hate to see new and old generations disrespecting eachother over terms. I try to recognize both for what they represent.

As far as bridging the gap, I think it's simply a case of, "sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you."

Maybe there's a show you don't get or enjoy. Maybe next time or year there will be.

Let me think...have I ever played a show I didn't get or like? Hmmmm.

I completely agree with you that there is a lack of respect between younger and older members involved in DCA. The same thing can be said about many other activities in this world, newer generations don't take the time to fully understand the beginings of the activity. Hopefully we can stay Drum Corps and not push the bounderies so far that it becomes something else completely.

That's a good point Liz. Excellent, in fact, if everyone would just accept the shows and enjoy them for what they are then what you call them wouldn't matter.

I, personally, see no point in arguing old versus new, drum corps vs. band, or whatever.

However, there are still a lot of people that marched VFW/AL rules and all the bs that went with it and see that as drum and bugle corps. By the late sixties and early 70s drills and equipment were changing, but very slowly so it was not so apparent at the time.

Along the way, many purists threw up their hands at the changes and warned of the dangers of too much change - slippery slope and all that stuff.

Since, mostly they were changes in equipment, which was pretty bad at the time, but still fun to play none the less, no one complained too much.

The slippery slope guys turned out to be right. So be it.

That doesn't make anything done today bad or not drum corps, if you call it drum corps. I just understand those that say, to them, it isn't.

If I invite you over for some nice pizza and beer and you come over and I serve you a gluten free rice crust, with a non fat watery sauce, nonfat imitation cheese and non alcoholic beer you would go wtf? I'd say, "What?"

"This ain't pizza and this swill isn't beer!"

"Sure it is - it's improved."

Well, you would probably say "changed", not improved and wouldn't accept either as the real deal, but a vegan may love it.

I remember being in one of the Rochester senior corps back in 1983.

When the "other" corps came out... I thought to myself "David Martin and a bunch of guys in tuxedos that look like they were stolen from Gladys Knight and the Pips?"

That'll never work. They won't last.

If the crowd claps - your show works.

I remember being in one of the Rochester senior corps back in 1983.

When the "other" corps came out... I thought to myself "David Martin and a bunch of guys in tuxedos that look like they were stolen from Gladys Knight and the Pips?"

If the crowd claps - your show works.

BINGO! and the label doesn't matter to the paying customers.

Being one of the oldies, I agree with Tommy "when it works it works."

The Brigs were great and I couldn't name half of the book they were playing, then I believe Cabs beat them with an all original book, I don't think anyone complained. Bucs have been a step above everyone the last few years, and once again usually I can't name most of their tunes.

From squads and Platoons, to curves verse linear, now free form, the evolution took about 60 yesr, its all good.

2008 what a great year its going to be!

Edited by Peggly43

As a newcomer to the staffer side of things, let me see if I can opine without embarrassing myself with my "newness".

I think the onus is on a creative staff to build a show that works on many levels. If you have a concept show and you wish to tell a story, then those who are searching for the deeper story-line and the clear indication of what you're telling should be able to do so. THose who come and are just there for the show should also be able to receive the enjoyment of hearing good music and seeing a good show.

If you fail in either of the two arenas, then you fail.

You should strive to hold accessibility in balance with artistic value. Push both to their limits! But if one damages the other's ability to be "gotten" then you should rework your program to bring both back into balance one with another.

But then again, what do I know? I'm new. B)

"When the "other" corps came out... I thought to myself "David Martin and a bunch of guys in tuxedos that look like they were stolen from Gladys Knight and the Pips?"

If the crowd claps - your show works."

Yup

and Patti LaBelle's voice, presentation and just down to earth attitude...bump me please...I shouldn't be here but I know what you all are saying...

Edited by lindap