hornlines 08

At the show I saw Regiment was the loudest followed by Crown (who had very little dynamic contracts) than Cavies and Colts were neck and neck (I’d give the edge to Colts) than Blue Star and finally Madison. I see a bunch of them again plus Cadets, Bluecoats, Spirit, Glassmen and a few others by the end of the weekend so I’ll have a more complete assessment then

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I think every drum corps is loud, and every season, in the end, each drum corps will have a fantastic hit that will be loud and resonate through everyone. Thats why I marched, and thats why I keep coming back to see shows. Also, the loudest hornline is subjective and ambiguous due to individual perception.

I wish people were more positive here. Everyone on the field works so hard; I think positive re-enforcement on these forums is what everyone marching this summer deserves.

woooo go jim miller!

do you know when and where? did you march with him?

I believe he marched Emerald Knights 82-84, then Cavaliers 85-86. He then came back to Cedar Rapids and taught the EK hornline for a couple of years. I marched with him 83-84. He had some solos with EK - No More Blues in '83 and All Night Long in '84. Really intense dude that was a role model for me as a player. Saw him a few years ago when I was hired to put together a small jazz band for his parents' wedding anniversary celebration. Check out his CD with the Hindemith Sonata on it - amazing. His tone throughout the whole album is like buttah. He also has some pretty weird stuff on YouTube. I have no doubt he could bring the volume when necessary. I think all sounds prouducible on a brass instrument have their place at one time or another. Don't box yourself in thinking there is only one way a horn should sound.

As far as "having the goods", I'd say Phantom, Crown and Cavies have the best sounding hornlines that I've heard live. Spirit is loud, but they've had trouble playing with control at the two shows I've seen them at live so far.