2008 Cadets show

I have given this a week to think about, and still I feel compelled to give this commentary.

I have been a 30 year Drum Corps fan, a former band director, and current DCI parent .

I was at the show in Toledo, and was impressed with all the corps for the first show . Glassmen show will be a crowd pleaser and , Crusaders horn line was great , Bluecoats drumline was smokin. Cadets were absolutely top notch in all categories, But that Catets show?? It just leaves me scratching my head.

I was not much of a fan of last years show, and found the narration tiring, but at least the story related to the drum corps activity.

This years show is much heavier in the narration, and is , at times a bit depressing, mentioning subjects of cancer and divorce, and relates in no way to the drum corps experience.

Also, I really question the idea of ending the show with narration, not music. This just does not lend itself to a great crowd reaction at the finale.

What I haven't seen discussed..........Am I missing the point , but is the message at the end that the main character's final lines (on which the show ends) ndicate that she found her "Pursuit of Happiness" in a homosexual relationship???

I guess that I am not really criticizing the corps, because the performance was excellent,and deserved the score it recieved, I just feel that it is a waste of talent not to show off the musicality of the group by trying too hard to tell a story.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like they are looking for a male to take over one of those roles?

And also, when it comes to the Cadets, expect the ending to the show to be much different in August than it is now.

And finally, they do more than enough "showcasing" of their corps musical talents in the show. Even with the words.

Edited by rut-roh

I totally agree with you. I hated the show. I was at Toledo sitting right in the middle of the stands, and everyone around me was talking about their show when it was over. Most felt that the show is note enjoyable for many reasons. One of my friends is a Cadet lover. He has followed them for years, wears the Cadet shirts, etc. He said this was the first Cadet show in history that he will not stand up for. Last year I hated the voice overs, but loved their hornline, drumline, and drill. This year I do not enjoy any of the show. I couldn't sing one melody from their show after seeing it. There were not the typical wow moments like they usually have. The crowd sat on thier hands during this show.

I predict them to finish 4th or 5th this year.

i heard the cadets play in the cheap seats in atl last year and i was on the side so much that i couldn't hear the narration. and i thought it was a great show, until i actually watched the finals dvd...i'm not sure that i'll like this years show...but i can't judge yet becaue i haven't seen them.

First of all, I haven't seen the show so I cannot add my opinions of the show:

As far as the ending, is it not okay that happiness comes in the form of a homosexual relationship?

Is an ending of narration really that much different than the hornline playing a chord from the tunnel (SCV 1990), or a pit feature ending (SCV 1994 and 2000)? I know it's still music, but from a volume standpoint those SCV shows didn't climax at the end, it was about emotional and visual climax, which is maybe what Cadets are going for.

I've only heard preseason recordings. Love the music, and I think the brass book might be one of my favorites of the 00s. The amped voice stuff doesn't really work (for me) as well as it did last year. Last year, the voice stuff was reflected by the guard and the music sections. I'm not getting that from what I've heard this year...at least not yet. Just to clarify what I'm about to say, there's a difference between narrative and narration. Narrative refers to the overall story as portrayed by all sections of the corps. Narration is an extra way to convey narrative. Now, it's one thing to give some of the show's narrative (story) to a narrator/character, but it's another to give basically all of the narrative responsibilities to narrators, and to relegate the hornline and drumline to background music. I have faith that the Cadets staff will figure it out, which, in my opinion, will require getting rid of a lot of the amped voice stuff. I guess we'll see.

First of all, I haven't seen the show so I cannot add my opinions of the show:

As far as the ending, is it not okay that happiness comes in the form of a homosexual relationship?

Is an ending of narration really that much different than the hornline playing a chord from the tunnel (SCV 1990), or a pit feature ending (SCV 1994 and 2000)? I know it's still music, but from a volume standpoint those SCV shows didn't climax at the end, it was about emotional and visual climax, which is maybe what Cadets are going for.

It's not wrong that happiness comes in the form of a homosexual relationship, the question I have is what is supposed to be represented? The homosexual relationship is what I understood from it and the crowd around me in Toledo thought the same thing. I read in another post that it was her daughter she was hugging so it isn't a relationship?

I love the Cadets...hate this show. There are little memorable musical moments for me. It all seems to just be background music.

Can I get an exact storyline of the show? Is this about the life of a girl who had breast cancer and is talking to a psychiatrist about being happy?

Edited by Huntington Mallets

It's not wrong that happiness comes in the form of a homosexual relationship, the question I have is what is supposed to be represented? The homosexual relationship is what I understood from it and the crowd around me in Toledo thought the same thing. I read in another post that it was her daughter she was hugging so it isn't a relationship?

I love the Cadets...hate this show. There are little memorable musical moments for me. It all seems to just be background music.

Im pretty sure its not a homosexual thing. There wouldnt be anything wrong with that, but I just cant see them going down that controversial path while they're busy with other ones. Im guessing it was a daughter or a friend or something. Maybe they played the final embrace up too much - probably for the sake of reaching the audience or something, I dunno... No insider info here, just speculation... :angry: