2008 Cadets show

is he that concerned tho? he knows these shows are lightning rods, and approve or disapprove of hecklers and booers, they will be there. these shows guarantee negative responses from some fans, and putting the kids in that line of fire to prove a point and deliver a message, IMO, isn't helping the kids experience

He can be concerned for them without placing them in a protective "safe show" bubble. Part of teaching and mentoring finds its place in the real world. I'm sure he never set out to purposefully get the kids boo'd, but what lesson would he be teaching if he ran back to his staff and said, "Next year, we're doing something simple. 'Ninja'!! That way we are loved by everybody, just like in everyday life."

I'm sure these kids would rather not get the heat they take throughout their season. But by now, they're fully aware of what they're getting into, and yet the corps is still on that field. They still get up at the ### crack of dawn like every other corps. They practice their butts off like every other corps. They give up their summer to work their ##### off just like every other corps.

And for that, regardless of show programming, they deserve the same respect as every other corps.

You can hate Hopkins and his initiatives and ideas all you want. But I highly doubt he would be involved in this activity for as long as he's been if he didn't give a #### about the kids.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Analogy comparable to the 2008 cadets show:

Monet paints a masterpiece. It is beautiful and well crafted. After he's finished, he takes a gigantic dump on it. After this he takes it to a showcase to display and sell it for what he thinks will be a considerable amount of money. Instead of a great reception (similar to any cadets performance), he gets only mixed confused responses as everyone wonders why they weren't given the opportunity to appreciate the real art behind it.

:worthy: :worthy:

Best. Analogy. Ever.

I believe another analogy would be that Monet sets out to paint what starts out to be a mildly erotic work called 'A Unique Love.' Sublime, touching.

Then he shifts into another personality...loses all restraint...

...and the painting becomes 'A Unique Love...A Man and His Dog...' :worthy:

This seems to be what is now happening to the Cadets' show concepts. What starts out to enlghten eventually becomes offensive.

Just out of curiosity, does George Hopkins read any of the commentary here on DCP? Like our current, and outgoing, administration, he is not exactly one of the most popular people in the community.

He has done great things with that corps throughout the years; however, I have to agree with a lot of others when it is noticed that he carries himself with a "might make right" agenda and that "what WE do is what's best for the activity" mentality. It's a shame how one director has managed to take over the activity from the DCI BOD all the way done through the ranks of the rest of D1.

For the longest time, drum corps was strong and unique in that its creativity and art came from the music and body, with minimal use of the voice and spoken word. With the Cadets "pushing the envelope" we see the voice and spoken word overwhelming the visual and music talents of the members.

I haven't seen the Cadets 2008 show and from what I've read and have been told by those who did experience it, this is one of the lowest years of that organization in terms of programming. That's unfortunate.

Which is why I am saying "in DCI". And IMO it hasn't been "run into the ground" in the MB world. It's still the exception, not the rule, to see shows with narration at most band shows.

So I guess Drum Corps and Marching Band are the same thing, unless it suits you to infer otherwise....

I'm sure these kids would rather not get the heat they take throughout their season. But by now, they're fully aware of what they're getting into, and yet the corps is still on that field. They still get up at the ### crack of dawn like every other corps. They practice their butts off like every other corps. They give up their summer to work their ##### off just like every other corps.

And for that, regardless of show programming, they deserve the same respect as every other corps.

This I believe ....... :worthy:

But they are the same thing........

See that's where I'm a little confused now - because MikeD usually says they are the same thing, but he says amps and electronics in drum corps is innovtion. So how can using the same stuff that MB has used for years be innovative if they are the same thing? They must be different, mustn't they Mike?

See that's where I'm a little confused now - because MikeD usually says they are the same thing, but he says amps and electronics in drum corps is innovtion. So how can using the same stuff that MB has used for years be innovative if they are the same thing? They must be different, mustn't they Mike?

I think the problem is use of that buzz word "innovation". Let's just dump that word please, it really has no meaning, drum corps people just started using it to make themselves feel more important. Marching band and drum corps are one in the same, and drum corps should have every right to use whatever they want in a show, which includes electronics, speech, woodwinds, strings, synthesizers, samplers, that thing Imogen Heap uses, strobe lights, african drums, etc etc etc

I think the problem is use of that buzz word "innovation". Let's just dump that word please, it really has no meaning, drum corps people just started using it to make themselves feel more important. Marching band and drum corps are one in the same, and drum corps should have every right to use whatever they want in a show, which includes electronics, speech, woodwinds, strings, synthesizers, samplers, that thing Imogen Heap uses, strobe lights, african drums, etc etc etc

"Innovation" and "avant garde" are words the DCI apologists have been using to prop up the rationale behind this stuff. It's entirely false, but they're using it to try to make it look good. I'm just kinda throwing it back.

As for your take on drum corps - we couldn't be more polar opposites if we tried. But I suspect there would be a point where enough bizarre changes would even drive such as you away from the stadium. I see in your sig you marched for 2 years? Not to in any way denegrate your experience but I've seen far more changes over my 40 years, and up until now I've lived with them all. Liked some, disliked others. Mics and electronics I flat out hate. You will have your breaking point too, somewhere. It's just a matter of time.....