Normal tail gate party

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, Cavies are wrapping up. The show was definitely more interesting tonight than a few nights ago. Horns and drill are exceptionally clean. There still seem to be some things missing from it. Something that struck me is the tuning- the hornline sounds very "western". By that, I mean that for a Japanese-themed show, you'd expect the music to have a more Japanese feel and sound to it, rather than an American musical group playing Japanese music. Dunno how to really express that, but if you're familiar with Asian movies, soundtracks and ensembles, you'll probably get where I'm coming from.

Design wise, the crowd ate up all the visual stuff tonight, as always. Seems like the show was custom-designed for tonight's crowd. But aside from one or two visual moves (like the flying kicks over the hornline), it seems like it's just a refinement of what the corps has been doing the last several years.

A historical footnote- in Japan's history, the samurai spent most of their time fighting other samurai. Perhaps this could be explored and incorporated into the show more.

Great to hear Crown is so good. That show of theirs should be pretty sweet. The arranger (brass anyway) has always been one of the best in the activity. Michael Klesch. He arranged for Garfield from 1985 - 1988, then from 1990 - 1992. He has obviously done Candide and some of those other tunes before, but his style is incredibly difficult and very exposed.

People often forget that he arranged the legendary Appalachian Spring show the Cadets did in 1987.

JW

I heard bits and pieces of that in the closer tonight.

Cavies are off the field (and doing the retreat)- scores are probably another 20-30 minutes away because the BOA kids are going to do their field show.

I heard bits and pieces of that in the closer tonight.

Cavies are off the field (and doing the retreat)- scores are probably another 20-30 minutes away because the BOA kids are going to do their field show.

Any score/placement predictions, Galen?

Galen -

Thank you very much for the excellent reporting! I felt like I was sitting in the stands! Loved it !

:lookaround:

I hope the criticisim wont be so harsh when my Drum Corps starts touring in 2009

A little light on the Bluecoats commentary, but other than that, I really appreciate you doing it, thanks.

1 The Cavaliers 78.600

2 Phantom Regiment 76.700

3 Carolina Crown 75.400

4 Bluecoats 74.700

5 Spirit 69.200

6 Glassmen 69.000

7 Colts 68.700

8 Madison Scouts 65.600