1988 Suncoast Sound

OK. So after all these years, and thanks to the Fan Network, I FINALLY saw this show.

LOVED IT!

Maybe it's because I'm older now and may have felt different way back then, but I'm trying to figure out what so controversial about this show? A great horn book and loved the drill. The guard soloist was a joy to watch!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bump because I just watched this again & realized that Star 93 and Cadets 2005 has nothing on this show.

Musically it would definitely place top 12.

Visual & Colorguard maybe.

I don't know if people would get upset about "stealing", but if the Cadets did this show next season that would make my year(w/o any narration of course)

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

Robert W Smith is a genius....he could actually "think" in chordal structures. 1985 was incredible as well...too bad the trends in drill, percussion, visual werent there at the time to take full advantage of Smith's brilliant work.

1988 Suncoast was seen by many, judges, corps staff, etc. as groundbreaking...especially after that horror of a show they put on the field the year prior (My Fair Lady - total crap)

I think if Al Murray would have been there in 1988, they could have scored higher, as the percussion scores kept them behind a bit. Suncoast had some amateur percussion staff in 87 - 89, they lost all their competent ones when Kim Lloyd took back over as director and in a cut off the nose to spite his face, fired them all. Tom Float stayed bi-partisan, but used to march with Murray in Anaheim and taught together at Oakland (Murray is a Canuck) and really felt he had been shafted after fielding such a awesome drumline in 86. Murray had last laugh, he is currently vice president of Dynasty.

Edited by Chat_Capone

Since colorguard is scored today and contributes to the final numbers, I think that would be a plus for the corps. Execution of drill was a little off, and transitions were a little akward, I dont know where it would place today, but would definetly make finals.

Truly a great show and really the birth of todays colorguard.

Geoffrey

Truly a great show and really the birth of todays colorguard.

Geoffrey

Im not an expert in this, but that could be debated....Sal Salas, Scott Chandler's work with Spirit of Atlanta could be said to birthed the new wave and direction of guards....however, Karl Lowe is incredibly gifted, talented and creative...I have had the pleasure of working on staff with him on multiple occasions.

Im not an expert in this, but that could be debated....Sal Salas, Scott Chandler's work with Spirit of Atlanta could be said to birthed the new wave and direction of guards....however, Karl Lowe is incredibly gifted, talented and creative...I have had the pleasure of working on staff with him on multiple occasions.

Well, while the SOA guards from 83 - 87 were highly effective, innovative in their use of couples and other areas, the actualy equipment side of it goes to Suncoast Sound, imo, hands down. The 88 - 89 Rifle lines especially seemed to spark the activity and go right to the 89 - 90 Cadets and by 91 - 92 most guards were using the unabashed style and free form writing that all began back in 88 with Suncoast Sound. Compare Spirits rifle lines to Suncoasts...two totally different style but Suncoast is the one I feel thst led the way to what we have today.

What we saw Scott do with Spirit was indeed elegant and broke new ground but when he finally wound up in BD, his indeas took another direction in terlms of staging, visual enhancement in regards to theme, and actual presentation and carriage, by the time guys were added (92) The couples element advanced and looked nothing like what we saw in 84 - 87 SOA.

Geoffrey

What we saw Scott do with Spirit was indeed elegant and broke new ground but when he finally wound up in BD, his indeas took another direction in terlms of staging, visual enhancement in regards to theme, and actual presentation and carriage, by the time guys were added (92) The couples element advanced and looked nothing like what we saw in 84 - 87 SOA.

I've wondered if getting out of the Bible Belt had anything to do with some of that...

I'm not sure that Suncoast was ahead of their time with this production, because I'm not sure the same show would sell any better today. Star 1993 is an example of a show that was ahead of its time and would sell so much better today than it did at the time. I suspect many people would still be scratching their heads with that Suncoast '88 show. I like the show, and really like Suncoast, but I don't know if this show HAS a time to be ahead/behind of.

Edited by Tekneek

Robert W Smith is a genius....he could actually "think" in chordal structures. 1985 was incredible as well...too bad the trends in drill, percussion, visual werent there at the time to take full advantage of Smith's brilliant work.

1988 Suncoast was seen by many, judges, corps staff, etc. as groundbreaking...especially after that horror of a show they put on the field the year prior (My Fair Lady - total crap)

I think if Al Murray would have been there in 1988, they could have scored higher, as the percussion scores kept them behind a bit. Suncoast had some amateur percussion staff in 87 - 89, they lost all their competent ones when Kim Lloyd took back over as director and in a cut off the nose to spite his face, fired them all. Tom Float stayed bi-partisan, but used to march with Murray in Anaheim and taught together at Oakland (Murray is a Canuck) and really felt he had been shafted after fielding such a awesome drumline in 86. Murray had last laugh, he is currently vice president of Dynasty.

So Al was fired? I never knew that.

As far as I know, Kim Lloyd was never the director of Suncoast previous to 1987. He was the drum caption head/arranger in '81-'82 (maybe even earlier). Al Murray was hired in the spring of '82 to clean the line and Robert made the decision to replace Kim with Al after the '82 season, so there may be something to your feeling that firing the drum staff was payback of some sort.

And I absolutely agree with your comments regarding Robert. He could arrange/compose music without the need of a keyboard or any other instrument... just pencil, paper and what he heard in his head.

Edited by Russellrks

88 Suncoast Changed the way I look at drum corps. As a percussionist, I was always drawn there first, but watching this show in Centerville, Ohio in 88 changed me forever. How could you not be drawn in by that guard, great emotion in the music and a story line that you could follow just fine?

Ahead of its time, yes indeed. Would it hold up today, I don't think so. Still my favorite show of all time and one that certainly paved the way for many future groups in the marching activity. I spoke with Karl Lowe once about the show and he told some great stories about the show and the corps. I even had him autograph my VHS of the show.

I like the stories about Kim Lloyd and Al Murray as I know both of them very well. (Both tell a different story by the way) How about some more stories from Suncoast vets from 88?

Great thread.

Great Show.

Great Corps that is dearly missed.

MIKE

88 Suncoast Changed the way I look at drum corps. As a percussionist, I was always drawn there first, but watching this show in Centerville, Ohio in 88 changed me forever. How could you not be drawn in by that guard, great emotion in the music and a story line that you could follow just fine?

Ahead of its time, yes indeed. Would it hold up today, I don't think so. Still my favorite show of all time and one that certainly paved the way for many future groups in the marching activity. I spoke with Karl Lowe once about the show and he told some great stories about the show and the corps. I even had him autograph my VHS of the show.

I like the stories about Kim Lloyd and Al Murray as I know both of them very well. (Both tell a different story by the way) How about some more stories from Suncoast vets from 88?

Great thread.

Great Show.

Great Corps that is dearly missed.

MIKE

I was there, and there are many stories, but it's 3am (did I just hear some Golden Earring???) and I am tired. I will tell you that perhaps the best moment of the year was at DCI Canada and involved a DEAF fan. I will elaborate later....