Flaming bag on the front door step

Do you like the show concept?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Forget execution. Do you like the show concept and script?

• Yes
    • No

I never thought I would weigh in here on DCP on this topic (or any -- I'm a confirmed lurker). Love the Cadets since seeing my first show in 1982 and haven't been disappointed since. Think most of past debate over narration is hot air. Then I saw the show online Saturday (Sunday morning here in Hong Kong)...

I CRINGED at every sentence. My wife and I (who I introduced to DCI last year, and who LOVED the Cadets) just looked at each other in disbelief. We are both professional writers, and likened the experience to nails on a chalkboard.

The whole problem for me isn't narration--have at it. It's just the blinding divide between the quality of the music and marching versus the quality of the "story." If it's to succeed, it has to have the unrehearsed quality of live radio -- which, given the tight choreography and timing required of drum corps, will be tough to pull off.

Back to lurking...

That will be extremely difficult to pull off. Lets look at some levels of quality. The Cadets march at a "one of the best in the world" level. The colorguard perform at a "one of the best in the world" level. The average musician in the Cadets is at least of college music major level. That is a lot to live up to for narrating/acting etc... I would not mind the talking nearly as much if they used kids that major in acting and the design staff could write scripts as well as they can arrange music/write drill etc... These things just do not match up. I don't see how anyone can argue any of the points I am making here.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Properly judge narration. IMO, this would partially address this situation. Judging the execution is easily. How well are the voices blended, mixed, coordinated with the music and the visual program? But beyond execution, I'd recommend that the text itself, the narrative be judged. Shows are already judged on their conceptual content - the effectiveness with which they convey a story or concept. In this sense I suppose you could argue that some of this is already on the sheets. But I'd argue to make the criteria for judging narration more explicit.

Yes. Yes! Yessss!!!!!!!

we don't hate the cadets. we don't even necessarily hate narration. we absolutely hate what the cadets are doing, and we wish they would stop, becase we love what they used to do.

Bravo!

Were the Cadets successful in hiring professional writers to assist in preparing the narration this year? They were reaching out early in the season on their site for help and I wonder if what's happening now is a direct result of outside input.

Edited by NIGHTFLY3000

Were the Cadets successful in hiring professional writers to assist in preparing the narration this year? They were reaching out early in the season on their site for help and I wonder if what's happening now is a direct result of outside input.

good lord let's hope not...

I do not like this show at all this year....Liked 05...06 was okay (execution just wasnt that great), 07 I didn't like at the beginning, but now I love it....but 08................wow......the show is just far worse than I thought it could be. BREAST CANCER!?!?!?! wtf?!?!?!?....at least last year's narration pertained to drum corps. This narration just blows, and the music and drill don't appeal to me. I really hope they can pull off this show and make it better....somehow. I just couldn't help but cover my face and feel embarrassed after watching the web cast. Great execution, but horrible design.

If so, they should demand their money back ...

I'm not missing anything at all, thanks though.

All I was saying is that it is early and I wouldn't completely write off this show just yet. It could wind up like a 2005 or 2007. On the other hand it might end up like a 2006.

But people are acting like it isn't a common occurrence in the last 3 years for a Cadets show to be extremely unpopular at the beginning of the season but grow on the fans by the end of the year.

Not on me. :thumbup:

If Crown's show this year represents what was good about the Cadets, I'll gladly take the Pursuit of Happiness. Crown's show is the worst kind of pandering.

No thanks. IMO, Crown was a lot more entertaining and a lot more fun to watch. No, not technically as good as Cadets, but I'd rather watch Crown.

I always thought that people attend drum corps shows to see/hear "the kids" perform.

Yep, in The Cadets' case, they come to hear all two of them.