Flaming bag on the front door step

Do you like the show concept?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Forget execution. Do you like the show concept and script?

• Yes
    • No

George is doing this to push the envelope, I agree. However, the only way he is going to win the crowd over is if the crowd continues to debate it. Its the same in politics: do something controversial, don't admit your error, keep pushing in the same direction, and eventually history will be on your side. This works with the same concept as, there is no such thing as bad press. History has shown (2005, 2006, 2007) that grumbling about the Cadets eventually gives way to complacency, and then admiration. This is George's mondo bizarro philosophy of drum corps and if dialog like this continues, he will continue to win and press forward. This sort of thing would never have went over well 20 years ago and I suspect that the reason his approach works today is because of his blog and the existence of DCP.

Break the cycle.

The solution: Talk less about the Cadets.

Bingo.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to see that happen. The Corps is great, and the kids are really Working hard, and deserved not to be booed. It's the show that needs bood, not the performance.

Perhaps we need a way of communicating this . Maybe applauding while chanting " change it"

I know someone here will come up with a better idea than this, but the comcept is sound.

My thought was to communicate it via YEA's purse strings. If you don't like the product this year, don't boo the kids. But don't financially support the corps either- don't buy their t-shirts, don't donate to their fuel fund etc. By continuing to generate revenue for the corps via audience show sales, they really have no motivator for changing the show- especially if the judges like it.

Instead, pick a corps that you liked and give them your money. Then send Hop an email telling him how much money you spent at other souvie stands and why. Don't rant- just keep it simple and to the point: That you do not like the narration/product this year, and have decided to fund XYZ corps with $_____ instead of the Cadets.

Just think about what would happen if everyone here that was complaining spoke with their wallet instead. I bet the change you seek would come much quicker by not helping to sustain them financially than via ranting on DCP, or booing, or chanting during a show.

P.S. For those against this year's narration, also remember that your voice is important. Last year they changed their script a lot over the course of the summer, and certain things were pulled for Finals most likely because your voice was heard. So it's not like GH and his staff don't listen to you.

I seem to recall (from reading Hopkins' blog) that the narration was changed at Championships last year as a result of the judging panel; they cut it back for those who weren't into it and poured it on when they thought they'd be rewarded.

It's probably still out there in cyberspace somewhere, but I don't have the ability to look for/link to it at the moment.

FOLLOW-UP: I just went through Hop's blog from last August and I couldn't locate the reference I cited above. So, maybe he said it or maybe someone else did...but I thought it in the interest of honesty to say that, while I recall hearing this, I may have been mistaken as to its source. My apologies!

Edited by Phillygwm

I seem to recall (from reading Hopkins' blog) that the narration was changed at Championships last year as a result of the judging panel; they cut it back for those who weren't into it and poured it on when they thought they'd be rewarded.

It's probably still out there in cyberspace somewhere, but I don't have the ability to look for/link to it at the moment.

Hmmmmm ... I don't remember that at all ... could be, though. What I do remember was that some members said that they changed the narration up during each show Finals week to throw off any potential ... um .... "retorts" from the crowd ....

Pretty astute of them if you ask me, becuase I was sitting in front of a bunch of knuckleheads who were just itching to yell something (but clearly not smart enough to adjust to changes on the fly....)

Well, this thread got me to subscribe to the Fan Network!

I just remember this one part of the show, where I was waiting with baited breath to hear what would happen next after college... and not once but twice the music got softer and I thought we would get to hear the rest of the story... but to my dismay the music got louder and they kept me waiting for several more seconds.

So I would change that part.

Exactly Scott Stewart's point 20 years ago. That attitude put him at odds with George Hopkins. However, Mr. Hopkins was more able to pursuade other directors than Scott, and we see the result. Some will say that is a good thing, I think Scott's vision would have brought us to a better DCI today.

Wow, now THERE is something I would never have guessed from you! :tongue::tongue::doh:

My thought was to communicate it via YEA's purse strings. If you don't like the product this year, don't boo the kids. But don't financially support the corps either- don't buy their t-shirts, don't donate to their fuel fund etc.

EXACTLY...

I see Hopkins changing his personal crusade for only 3 reasons:

1) the kids stop coming to be Cadets

2) the judges say NO MORE

3) the message that the fans don't like it is conveyed by poor sales of Cadets merchandise.

Interesting blog post by GH today:

Adjust ...... adjust ..... adjust

Jun. 30th, 2008 at 3:29 PM

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.

- John Maxwell

Interesting blog post by GH today:

Adjust ...... adjust ..... adjust

Jun. 30th, 2008 at 3:29 PM

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.

- John Maxwell

Maybe it will soon be

Trash - rewrite - relearn...