Flaming bag on the front door step

Do you like the show concept?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Forget execution. Do you like the show concept and script?

• Yes
    • No

I just listened to the show for the first time, from the Madison APD's.

I...

I... didn't hate it...

To be honest, I thought it was pretty decent, and with a few more cuts in just the right places the narration could actually work pretty well. I didn't mind a lot of last year's narration until about halfway through with the emo kid who picks up his trumpet. This year's show is actually delightfully lacking in any cringe moments like that. I do think Sarah Jones's story is somewhat scattered, making it feel as if the Cadets program is trying to hit too many different emotional buttons in eleven minutes, but I didn't find any particular subject all that obnoxious. It's still early enough that every show is being tweaked, and if they tighten up the narrative a little, this could actually be a very effective program.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just listened to the show for the first time, from the Madison APD's.

I...

I... didn't hate it...

To be honest, I thought it was pretty decent, and with a few more cuts in just the right places the narration could actually work pretty well. I didn't mind a lot of last year's narration until about halfway through with the emo kid who picks up his trumpet. This year's show is actually delightfully lacking in any cringe moments like that. I do think Sarah Jones's story is somewhat scattered, making it feel as if the Cadets program is trying to hit too many different emotional buttons in eleven minutes, but I didn't find any particular subject all that obnoxious. If they tighten up the narrative a little, this could actually be very effective.

Excellent post. I agree with you.

*Puts on cynic’s hat for a moment*

Could this a very smart move by Hop? He may be the antichrist to us anti-ampers, but he really is not a stupid guy...

Here's the plan: Do a year of an absolutely terrible narration-based show the year before electronics come into the mix. From what I’m reading, almost anything would sound better. Next year, get reviews that say it’s a better show than last year – Presto! Electronics are proven to be good for drum corps!

Just a cynical thought….

Could this a very smart move by Hop? He may be the antichrist to us anti-ampers, but he really is not a stupid guy...

Here's the plan: Do a year of an absolutely terrible narration-based show the year before electronics come into the mix. From what I’m reading, almost anything would sound better. Next year, get reviews that say it’s a better show than last year – Presto! Electronics are proven to be good for drum corps!

Just a cynical thought….

LMAO, I'm reminded of the Boxer dog my sister found abandoned. Poor l'il thing (all 85 pounds) was so needy all he wanted was attention so he'd do stuff to get noticed. Didn't matter if he did stuff to get praise or yelled at, just as long as the attention was directed his way.

I'm just picturing GH thinking that if people are upset over his shows, then it's only because he's ahead of everyone else and they don't know it yet. And oh boy, look at all the attention I'm getting.

Another another cynical thought...

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

In Persuit of Hop's Ego

Just a cynical thought….

Not cynical at all, if anyone thinks for a second that he's done using the Cadets to "evolve" the activity into his vision of marching band for all, think again. I've spent 25 years watching him and the only thing that I'm surprised about is that it's taken him this long to get his way. I can assure you he's already making plans for when electronics enter the picture, followed by dare I say, woodwinds. Don't think it will happen? I just don't see anything under the current system that would prevent this from becoming a reality under the guise of "artistic expression", especially when led by a guy whom, after meeting for the first time in 1983 gave the impression of someone who would run over his own mother to get what he wants.

Edited by RichCranford82

LMAO, I'm reminded of the Boxer dog my sister found abandoned. Poor l'il thing (all 85 pounds) was so needy all he wanted was attention so he'd do stuff to get noticed. Didn't matter if he did stuff to get praise or yelled at, just as long as the attention was directed his way.

I'm just picturing GH thinking that if people are upset over his shows, then it's only because he's ahead of everyone else and they don't know it yet. And oh boy, look at all the attention I'm getting.

Another another cynical thought...

My greyhound is pampered but she always looks sad as if she was just kicked. I think it's the greyhound evolutionary edge. Why adapt to hunt and fight if you can just look all sad and cute and stupid humans will feed you and cater to your every whim?

Before I get accused of going OT - there is a metaphor there for the topic under discussion.

Yes ...I see a growning trend that the show is concieved for the judging, and not for your paying audience.

If you have watched the George Hopkins pre show speech to the corps on DCI fan network , he stated "What people think is what they think. It's not about their opinion. " I readily admit that this quote is taken out of context, and that you should view it in its entirety. To give him credit, he does seem to praise his members work, and seems to really care about them as corps members.

Now that the show is put together and that is what the members have to perform, I would likely tell them the same thing. Obviously, they are willing to go against the grain, or they wouldn't be there.

I think that this ignoring of the fans in the stands, seems to be a growning trend. If you are playing to the handful of judges, and ignoring the thousand in the stands, you are probably doing something wrong. Both objectives can be accomplished , Blue Devils, SCV , and Phantom among most other corps are proving that continually.

Exactly Scott Stewart's point 20 years ago. That attitude put him at odds with George Hopkins. However, Mr. Hopkins was more able to pursuade other directors than Scott, and we see the result. Some will say that is a good thing, I think Scott's vision would have brought us to a better DCI today.

Not cynical at all, if anyone thinks for a second that he's done using the Cadets to "evolve" the activity into his vision of marching band for all, think again. I've spent 25 years watching him and the only thing that I'm surprised about is that it's taken him this long to get his way. I can assure you he's already making plans for when electronics enter the picture, followed by dare I say, woodwinds. Don't think it will happen? I just don't see anything under the current system that would prevent this from becoming a reality under the guise of "artistic expression", especially when led by a guy whom, after meeting for the first time in 1983 gave the impression of someone who would run over his own mother to get what he wants.

Other directors take note. Sometimes it takes a group to stand up to a bully.

I have been following this activity for over 20 years and I was shocked at what I saw tonight.
Not to take anything away from the performers, but I simply hated the show design. Never have I been so depressed watching a drum corps show.
this show just dissapoints me.
the philosophy of the message was terrible.
None of the past 3 years shows have gotten even close to this many negative comments.

Maybe this is the point. The show is meant to make people angry, depressed, disappointed...we're talking about it, aren't we? I haven't seen it yet, but I'd probably feel the same way. Is this the only frontier left - the controversial show? In '83, people were in an uproar about the Cadets, but in a good way. Back then, it was "A whole show of asymmetrical drill? I never thought such a thing could be possible, or be so cool!" Now it seems like "A show with narration about controversial subjects? I never thought drum corps would come to this." We're still talking about it, but...we're questioning where the designers are going instead of being thrilled about the genius of the new concept. It seems more important that both the ideas and the way the ideas are being expressed are controversial. The beauty of the art is taking a back seat to the controversy. Does it make it less valid? Probably not. Does it make it less attractive? Seems so, to most.