Flaming bag on the front door step

Do you like the show concept?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Forget execution. Do you like the show concept and script?

• Yes
    • No

Madison did it in 76 and pulled off a 2nd place. If corps today are as talented as everyone says, should be easy, right? :rolleyes:

Edited by kusankusho

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to recall (from reading Hopkins' blog) that the narration was changed at Championships last year as a result of the judging panel; they cut it back for those who weren't into it and poured it on when they thought they'd be rewarded.

Cater to the judges, but give a darn about what the fans want.

Wow, now THERE is something I would never have guessed from you! :worthy::worthy::worthy:

David Bassan = Mr. Consistancy! :worthy::worthy::rolleyes:

EXACTLY...

I see Hopkins changing his personal crusade for only 3 reasons:

1) the kids stop coming to be Cadets

2) the judges say NO MORE

3) the message that the fans don't like it is conveyed by poor sales of Cadets merchandise.

1) So far, the kids are coming. My bet is some come because of the controversy, others in spite of it. If they push to far, kids will stop coming, IMO.

2) The judges evaluate what they are told. It is the directors that would have to say NO MORE. They have the control, not the judges.

3) This has possibilities, but they make money in many ways. Maybe a couple of years in 10th place would do it, but there is too much talent to be in 10th any time soon. With winning, merchandise sells.

Cater to the judges, but give a darn about what the fans want.

Actually - I'm pretty sure know of one thing that was done with the fans in mind. After the reception they got though, they basically said 'eff it' and i dont blame em...

Madison did it in 76 and pulled off a 2nd place. If corps today are as talented as everyone says, should be easy, right? :rolleyes:

Madison also brought back all the music from the year before, except for a new opener.

LMAO, I'm reminded of the Boxer dog my sister found abandoned. Poor l'il thing (all 85 pounds) was so needy all he wanted was attention so he'd do stuff to get noticed. Didn't matter if he did stuff to get praise or yelled at, just as long as the attention was directed his way.

I'm just picturing GH thinking that if people are upset over his shows, then it's only because he's ahead of everyone else and they don't know it yet. And oh boy, look at all the attention I'm getting.

Another another cynical thought...

Former RAMDers, sit down and hold on.

Who else can you think of that thrives on attention, sometimes positive and especially negative. Have you ever seen them in the same room?

Just sayin'...

Garry in Vegas

Who else can you think of that thrives on attention, sometimes positive and especially negative. Have you ever seen them in the same room?

Just sayin'...

Garry in Vegas

George is FAR better looking than it-who-must-not-be-named....and at least SOME people actually LIKE Hop...

= = = =

Here's how the text should be cut and the staging revised, IMHO. Cut Ira Glass. Rearrange the text slightly, cut internally, and transform the piece into a monologue, below. What remains here is the concise essence of the piece. There is still a broad range of emotion, and all the essential points are hit. Because there is so much text cut, we can allow the actress to take her time with the text. She is not on a 16 count timeframe causing that awful abrupt, sing-songy, wooden delivery. We are allowing the actress to pause and to feel the text in a simple, unhurried and thoughtful way. She delivers her brief sentences subtly, as if the audience were her neighbor, sitting next to her. We give the actress the time she needs to connect with her few brief lines. Her delivery needs to be changed from a broad presentation, to a soft-spoken, calm self-discovery.

In terms of simple stage picture, the character can stand next to a window on the 50 yard line, or maybe the 30. Looking out at "tomorrow" as the text suggests. She doesn't "pull focus," necessarily. She is there if we choose to see her. The set piece of a window can be integrated into the choreography, perhaps even a guard prop, and perhaps the even subtly integrated into the marching sets. During longer musical interludes, she can sit near the window on a stool, as she looks at a photo album. She can walk onto the field during the cheerleading passage. She can approach them, and then retreat. At the end of the piece, at her final discovery about happiness, perhaps she can open the window. "It's as easy as - Snap." Simply open it, with a marching set behind her of a window opening. Restrained, subtle, powerful, but simple. Let the music carry the rest of the dramatic action. And allow the audience to see their own lives as these few select powerful words, honestly and subtly delivered, drift across their collective conscience.

Note: These suggestions are mine alone and are freely given for use by the Cadets in perpetuity in any medium, anywhere without any compensation to me of any kind.

= = = =

Holding a job on Madison Avenue, and being a mother was not easy.

I did what I did, and I loved it. If I have a regret, I think it’s that I never really enjoyed where I was …

I was always looking at tomorrow.

I am well. I am a survivor. And I must say, life today,

what is important today,

is different.

The cars, the home, the job, the money …. I really was chasing a dream. I wanted the good life. I wanted to have it all.

I had everything I ever wanted.

I do love my daughters. I wanted to be there for them ...and I did get to games. I saw my daughters at Cheerleading … I sent them off to the prom. I made the time. But, oh, the job was so intoxicating. It just felt so good.

Money, great jobs, great clothes, love, independence... America seems to look for happiness through what we own!

We want it all!

We want all we can hang onto.

Happiness [for me] was really not a destination. It was always there … always a part of my life. I just needed to choose. I needed to enjoy! I can see now … I had a great life. I have a great life.

I have a feeling …. Happiness is not something we need to pursue … it is something we are here in the world to have. And getting it … may indeed … be as simple as (opens window)….. SNAP.

Just sayin'...

Garry in Vegas

I've heard GH talk for 5-10 minutes straight and think he only used "Everybody" once.

Biggest problem was he was introducing the corps at an exhibition. People around me were muttering "George... we came to listen to the corps..... not you". :rolleyes: