VK Honk!

2. This one is for the old timers. What other corps have worn top hats? Pride of Cincinatti and Spirit might have, but I just do not remember for sure back to '81. HELP!!!

For some reqason this has always stuck in my head....I believe it was Pacific Blue out of Canada...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I planted the seed.

They want to hold onto some extras for obvious safety BUT who knows by finals week maybe they'll let some go....

:rolleyes:2COOLVK!!! :worthy:

Great "entrance" into competition this year by VK. I had a chance to watch them rehearse (in Arizona?) last year and noticed that got more quality sound out of their hornline than many larger groups.

As a long time VK fan - I hope the corps has a great season!

:thumbup:

THANKS!!! :thumbup:

Now a couple of questions:

1. What is the footwear? Are those black hightops with red laces?

The shoes are FUN. They are a Chuck Taylor high top, deep (bloodish) red, black sole, black tongue, black laces, The tops fold over and are a black and white skull and cross bone lining and the stripe up the back is customized to say VK 2008. I can't wait to see the group in person. Unfortunately I have to wait to Indy.

Hey Kristi, can you get a shoe close up? Your photos are just the best!

Ok, the real question is, how do I get a "VK knows Jack" t-shirt. I need one in 2X, two larges, a small, a youth large, and infant.

Thanks!

GO GET 'EM KIDS!

Ok, the real question is, how do I get a "VK knows Jack" t-shirt. I need one in 2X, two larges, a small, a youth large, and infant.

Thanks!

GO GET 'EM KIDS!

Go to the booth at the shows. They don't have infant sizes. If there are enough requests they might make some.

Nancy

I'm a parent and simply don't know the joke....can someone fill me in? I'm sure Mayra will be happy to sell you as many shirts as you need! The group left for tour today so she may be away from a computer for a day or two.

Edited by CrownMe

I'm a parent and simply don't know the joke....can someone fill me in? I'm sure Mayra will be happy to sell you as many shirts as you need! The group left for tour today so she may be away from a computer for a day or two.

"Jack" is Jack Bevins, the director of the old Velvet Knights (and who I spoke to briefly at the Riverside show). As director he took the old VK into the much beloved and remembered zaniness of the 80s-90s programs that brought so much joy (and tearful laughter) to drum corps fans.

The current VK HAS fully embraced it's heritage....it's still a bit unpolished and rough, but it's like seeing an old friend again....the current kids KNOW the heritage...from the proper en masse response to "Go get 'em, kids!" to the anything-for-the-crowd shtick....they KNOW Velvet Knight...and that means they know Jack.

No Joke. Jack was the Director for VK over 20 years and now Jack is back... as a supporter of the corps. You might get a glimpse of him on the sideline at the shows.

Nancy

Edited by neholgate

"Jack" is Jack Bevins, the director of the old Velvet Knights (and who I spoke to briefly at the Riverside show). As director he took the old VK into the much beloved and remembered zaniness of the 80s-90s programs that brought so much joy (and tearful laughter) to drum corps fans.

The current VK HAS fully embraced it's heritage....it's still a bit unpolished and rough, but it's like seeing an old friend again....the current kids KNOW the heritage...from the proper en masse response to "Go get 'em, kids!" to the anything-for-the-crowd shtick....they KNOW Velvet Knight...and that means they know Jack.

Jack has been around the corps since his daughter began marching in the organization in '68 with the feeder corps, the Squires. I believe he started out as Treasurer. He began working as director from the mid-seventies to the early 90's. At least that's my fuzzy old brain memory.