Scouts...Where is the disipline?!

When you are a STAFF member... a well-known STAFF member at that... of said corps... and you decide to make the trek up 62 rows into the stands for the Scouts performance (next to the judges area, btw), only to hang around after the performance still with your Madison gear and credentials around your neck... to TALK THROUGH, LAUGH OUT LOUD, and PURPOSELY CRINGE AND MAKE FUN (even when something was really not that bad) of OTHER drum corps who are currently kicking your ### all over the field.

I have a lot of experiance in drum corps, both as a member of a div. 1 champion corps. and a staff member. I have noticed something about madisions staff the last 10 years thinking that they always get screwed and that all other corps. suck. I know all members of their staff are not like this, but one can give them all a bad name

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This will anger some of you. But this is my opinion and the great thing about forums is that we can express our opinions. :tongue:

You know I have seen a lot of corps that have seemed a little young in age, but that should never serve as an excuse for a corps or staff member to act that way. At one time I had the opportunity to volunteer with scouts under the Sal Salas Era and that corps was pretty young as well, but they seemed to bring things together and age was never mentioned as an excuse or concern. I believe the average age of the corps during Sal's first year was around 17, which I am guessing where the scouts are this year.

What is my point? Other corps have been young in age and still proved to be very successful. Age has been an excuse for almost two years now. it is time for this to stop being an excuse and time for the scouts to step it up. I mean from the board, to administration, to design staff, to instructional staff, and the members. please be the great scouts that we have come to know. I am sorry they were not there last year and it is not looking much better this year.

Shannon :thumbup:

This whole problem could have been avoided if Sal Salas had been left in charge of the corps. When he left, they lost a great instructional staff and many many vets. It seems to me that they are having a difficult time finding their identity. They are not the Scouts of previous years when they were feared on the field. Hopefully, in time, they will become the Madison Scouts that we once knew.

OK folks...maybe this is not the most appropriate use of this forum.

I would suggest sending these concerns, comments, etc., to Jeff Spanos at the corps office.

I'm starting to agree.

I bet Hrothgar was all :thumbup::tongue:

I dunno, I think Hrothgar knows better than to applaud semi-gross brass playing.

By the way, why isn't anyone calling out other corps on their lack of discipline? I'm pretty sure there are corps in the top 6-7 MUCH worse than anything Madison filled with young kids might have done...

This whole problem could have been avoided if Sal Salas had been left in charge of the corps. When he left, they lost a great instructional staff and many many vets. It seems to me that they are having a difficult time finding their identity. They are not the Scouts of previous years when they were feared on the field. Hopefully, in time, they will become the Madison Scouts that we once knew.

Yeah , maybe they could have kept Sal and that great staff that caused them to be great competitively and financially, they did a great job at that, oh wait...they killed them on that level. I would hardly call 1 top six season and a few top 10's a strong corps. Oh and let's not forget that he alienated a MAJOR percentage of the alumni base, but hey, who needs alums to support the corps right?

But what do I know...i'm just a newbie.

Before you make the same mistake I did... Tom isn't actually at the show. Read the first page again. I didn't catch that either, and I gotta say, his posts totally had me fooled. Pretty inventive commentary for someone making it up on the spot.

OK...I got punked. I withdraw my observation.

Although had I been the one to make the decision, that is what would have happened to the offender....that, and cleaning the bus toliets until further notice. :thumbup:

I bet Hrothgar was all :thumbup::tongue:

Um, no. My friend and I turned to each other with a huge :ph34r: on our faces. The guy basically took a huge dump through his horn.

Edited by Hrothgar15

I was at the show last night. I went down to hear the encore. I was not impressed.

I sat by the staff and they were not impressed either.

Mr. Williams heard the "mellophone" as did I and everyone in the stadium. It was one of the worst

things I have ever heard come out of a Scout hornline.

I did hear Nick W. say, "Was that a mellophone?" "Who would have done that?" " Well I'm gonna find out!"

That is when Mr. Barrera said he wanted a full corps meeting right after encore, everyone!!, and that includes the pit!!!

They did look loose and staff commented on how the everyone seemed to be wandering around.

This is all very disturbing, and depressing. I am sorry, I am an Alum too and I find it hard to just say " GO SCOUTS"